Avocado fries are the appetizer you never you knew you needed! Here I’ll show you exactly how to get crispy baked avocado fries which are bursting with flavour!
I know, it’s a bit of a weird concept, but stick with me here. When I first heard about these I was kinda sceptical too, but after a lot of testing and a little tweaking I’m really excited to share this recipe with you!!
Perfect Avocado Fries
As the avocado is obviously the star of the show in this recipe, it’s really important to pick the right one.
You want to find 3 small perfectly ripe avocados. Don’t be tempted to get an underripe avocado just because it’s more firm (and therefore easier to work with), they will come out really bitter and gross.
With the same token, you don’t want to use overripe avocados, because they’ll just go mushy when you’re preparing them.
Get your slightly soft avocado, half it, destone it, slice each half into thirds, then peel.
So in hindsight you actually end up with avocado wedges, but we’re too far deep into this recipe for me to change that 🤣
To the fries!
Oven Baked Avocado Fries
The great thing about these fries is that they’re baked, not fried. BUT they’re just as crispy as if they were fried!
Let’s talk crispiness for a second…
Tips for getting truly crispy avocado fries
- Dry Breadcrumbs – Although it may sound silly, you want to coat them with something that’s already crispy i.e dry breadcrumbs. I find lightly crushed panko breadcrumbs work best for this recipe.
- Parmesan – This is going to bring you even more crispiness AND some gorgeous flavour too.
- High heat – You don’t really want to cook the avocado too much else it will go mushy, so a fairly high temp will help crisp these up without the avo going to mush!
How to make avocado fries
- Coat your avocado fry in flour.
- Coat in egg + milk.
- Coat in breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Really make sure you cover every sight of avocado.
- Spread out on a tray, spray with oil and bake.
Avocado Fry Seasoning
I’ve seen a few different recipes for avocado fries and not many use seasoning other than salt and pepper. I’ve tested that out and personally feel they come out a little bland.
A such, I add garlic powder in with the flour and smoked paprika and cayenne pepper in with the breadcrumbs. This, alongside the parmesan, works absolute wonders.
Avocado Fries Dip
If you ignore everything I’ve said so far, please don’t ignore this. Serve these with a dip!! The difference is huge.
My favourite is always a sriracha-lime mayo.
Hey, whilst you’re here, check out my other recipes!
- Creamy Avocado Dip
- Avocado Tuna Melts
- Stuffed Avocados with Prawns and Mango Salsa
- Chicken Avocado Pasta
Okay, let’s tuck into the avocado fries recipe shall we?
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Avocado Fries (Full Recipe and Video)
Crispy Baked Avocado Fries
Ingredients (check list):
- 3 small Perfectly Ripe Avocados (see notes)
- 3/4 cup / 45g Dry Breadcrumbs (Slightly crushed Panko works great)
- 1/4 cup / 20g Parmesan, finely grated
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp each: Garlic Powder, Smoked Paprika, Cayenne Pepper (or less for milder spice)
- Oil Spray
- Half your avocados, remove the stone then slice each half into thirds. Remove the peel.
- Set up 4 stations: 1st with your Flour, Garlic Powder and 1/4 tsp salt, second with your Egg and Milk, third with your Breadcrumbs, Parmesan, Smoked Paprika, Cayenne Pepper and 1/4 tsp Salt, 4th with a suitably sized oven tray.
- Dunk the avocado first into the flour, then into the egg, (I find this easiest with a fork to save your fingers getting gloopy) and finally into the breadcrumbs. Although tedious, make sure you completely cover the avocado at each stage, especially the breadcrumbs. Place on your oven tray and give them all a good spray of oil.
- Bake in the oven at 200c/390f for 10mins, then take out and flip (give an extra spray if needed) and pop back in for another 8-10mins or until golden brown. Timings will vary and these go from golden to burnt pretty quick, so be really vigilant.
- Allow to cool for a couple mins, give an extra sprinkle of salt if needed then serve with Sriracha Lime Mayo, or your favourite dip!
Quick 1 min demo!
Looking for more finger food ideas? Check out my Crispy Baked Jalapeno Poppers!