Everybody needs an easy go-to dip for entertaining and this is Sour Cream and Chive Dip recipe is the perfect fit. Incredibly versatile and packed with flavour, using minimal ingredients!
Homemade sour cream and chive dip? Yep. SO much better than store bought, I can’t even begin to tell you. Actually yes I can, follow me…
Sour Cream and Chive Dip
Sour cream and chive is a legendary dip, especially here in the UK. No matter what event, gathering, dinner party or movie night, there’s always a bowl of sour cream and chive dip with a large packet of crisps. Standard. Admittedly up until recently I’d always get store bought, because that’s simply what I grew up with. However, in recent times I’ve realised homemade is far too easy (and delicious) not to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sour Cream – The base of the dip, ensure it’s full fat for a fuller flavour.
- Mayo – Makes up 1/4 of the dip, again, I recommend full fat.
- Chives – The heart and soul of the dip, ensures they’re fresh and finely diced.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh lemon juice, stay away from the bottled stuff!
- Garlic – 1 very small cloves does the trick, don’t go overboard with this.
It always fills me with joy when I can claim a 5 ingredients recipe, and this is no exception! *victory dance*
Chives are the most delicate and in my opinion, tastiest member of the onion family. They’ve got a gorgeously fresh aroma to them without being too overpowering. Because of their light texture they lend themselves so neatly to being used in a dip. There’s nothing worse than having chopped up onion in a creamy dip. Salsa and guac yes, sour cream, no.
Plus, by using chives you’re not going to cry a river when chopping them up, which is always a bonus.
When it comes to making the dip it really is as simple as adding the ingredients in a bowl and stirring to combine. I do however highly recommend making this in advance. In doing so you’ll allow for the flavours to marry together and for the chives to infuse into the sour cream. Not a deal breaker, but definitely helps.
What to serve with Sour Cream and Chive Dip?
(Cheese and Prosciutto Twists pictured below)
So what are you waiting for? Throw away that store bought dip (and by throw away I mean it finish it because food waste is not good) and get cracking on this homemade sour cream and chive dip! Quick, easy and just 5 ingredients, this recipe is sure to be sure go-to dip for just about everything!
If you’re looking for more easy and delicious homemade dips check out these beauties:
Easy Homemade Dips
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this sour cream and chive dip shall we!?
How to make Sour Cream and Chive Dip (Full Recipe & Video)
Sour Cream and Chive Dip
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Fine Grater or Garlic Crusher
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 3/4 cup / 180g Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup / 60g Mayo (full fat)
- 1 heaped tbsp (approx 10) Fresh Chives, finely diced (see notes)
- 1 small clove of Garlic, grated/minced (see notes)
- 1/2 Lemon, juice only
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- In a bowl combine sour cream, mayo, chives, lemon juice and garlic.
- Stir to combine, then taste test for seasoning.
- Cover and pop in the fridge until needed (this will help marry the flavours together) or tuck in right away if you're peckish!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Sour Cream and Chive Dip recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Let me know in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!