These Mini Tornado Fries are such good fun to make. Most importantly they taste absolutely delicious too! Just a few ingredients that you’ve probably got knocking about in the cupboards and you’ll be well on your way to making your funkiest fries yet!
I know, could these fries be any more ‘extra’ if they tried? Like, can we not just eat normal fries anymore? The answer is no, no we cannot. I want fries that look like slinkies and I want them now.. But seriously, look how cute they are!
You must have seen those giant tornado potatoes out and about? I actually first came across them at a market, huge things they were! Dipped in a deep fat fryer and slathered in a powdery seasoning.
Anywho, even if you have no idea what I’m taking about, you’re looking at a mini, much healthier and tastier version (eek, am I allowed to say that?).
I did wonder at first how these tornado potatoes were made, but after a little experimenting and some common sense I realised how easy it was. And what’s best is that they do not have to be made in a deep fat fryer!
How To Make Mini Tornado Fries in the Oven
- Carefully pierce your potato on to a skewer. Starting at the tip, slice down in a spiral motion.
- Repeat with 3 or 4 more until the skewer is full.
- Drizzle with olive oil, place on a bed of garlic and rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven until crisp!
Voila, mini tornado fries!
All jokes aside these little beauties are actually really delicious. I quite often roast my potatoes with rosemary & garlic and these were no exception. I was quite conscious of this recipe falling into the ‘novelty’ pile so I’m confident in saying they’re packed with flavour.
The texture should result in a really crispy, crunchy finish too!
When it comes to what to serve these fries with, I usually just go with a pot of my favourite dip.
And trust me, they’re are insanely good for dipping. The way they’re shaped means they collect about 1000% more dip than your average fry (genuine statistic).
Dips for Tornado Fries
When to eat Mini Tornado Fries
Sure, you could have these for din dins, but I’m getting vibes of a gathering of friends munching on these fries alongside another few appetizers. Ya feel me?
Okay that’s certainly enough from me, I’ll let you tuck into the recipe!
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How To Make Mini Tornado Fries (Full Recipe & Video)
Mini Tornado Fries
Ingredients (check list):
- 1.1lbs / 500g Baby Potatoes (approx 20)
- 5-6 cloves Garlic, unpeeled & crushed
- few sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
- drizzle of Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Parsley, to serve
- 5 Wooden Skewers
- Small Sharp Knife
- Pierce one of your potatoes at the bottom and twist through the centre until it reaches the other side. Starting at the tip, begin slicing in a downward spiral, making sure the knife stays touching the skewer at all times. Gently spread the potato apart, making sure it doesn't tare. Push down to the bottom of the skewer and continue with 2-3 more potatoes, depending how many will comfortably fit. Repeat for all skewers.
- Spread out your Rosemary and Garlic on an oven tray. Lay your skewers on top and coat with Oil, Salt and Pepper. Twist a couple of times to make sure all surfaces are covered.
- Pop in the oven at 430f/220c for 20-30mins (depending on size) until golden brown, turning once throughout.
- Remove from skewers and serve hot with your favourite dip!
Quick 1 min demo!
For more delicious fries check out my Truly Crispy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries!