Whether you call it Chili, Chilli or Chilli Con Carne, this version captures those rich and spicy flavours we all know and love & take them to new heights! This truly is THE best Chilli Con Carne recipe.
First things first, whatever we call it, wherever we believe it’s origins lie, can we all just agree that this dish is the ultimate comfort food? Okay good. It’s warm and spicy flavours just act as a soul-hugging bowl of goodness and quite frankly it never gets old.
The BEST Chilli Con Carne
Alright, I’m gonna have to do some explaining here before you think I’m blowing my own trumpet for no reason. Here’s why you’re gonna love this chilli:
- Game Changers – A couple of game changing ingredients really turn this chilli up a notch. A glass of red wine adds a gorgeous depth of flavour, whilst a few tbsp of Worcestershire sauce adds a tangy background flavour!
- Easy – It’s so EASY to make! A no fuss, no nonsense recipe even for even the most beginner of cook to master. All in one pot too!
- Rich and Flavoursome – The perfect combo of seasoning and spices give this chilli a real punch of flavour!
In terms of making a chilli con carne, I promise it couldn’t be easier.
How to make Chilli Con Carne (quick summary)
- Brown onion, red pepper and garlic.
- Add ground beef.
- Break up with wooden spoon and brown.
- Stir in tomato puree, then pour in red wine and simmer.
- Add chopped tomatoes, kidney beans and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add homemade spice mix and beef stock cubes.
- Give it a good stir.
- Pop lid on and simmer.
When it comes to chilli con carne seasoning, I of course highly recommend ditching the pre-made stuff and making your own. Here’s what you’ll need:
Homemade Chilli Con Carne Spice Mix
- Chilli Powder
- Ground Coriander
- Salt & Black Pepper
What to serve with Chilli Con Carne
Make ahead Chilli Con Carne
You can certainly make this ahead of time! In fact I think it actually tastes better after some time relaxing. It gives the flavours a chance to snuggle with each other. Just cook as instructed, allow to cool then cover and pop in the fridge. Reheat on the hob (may need to add a dash of water to loosen up)
Can I freeze Chilli Con Carne?
Sure can! Just allow to cool, then store in an airtight container and pop in the freezer for up to 6months. To reheat just bring to room temp, then either microwave or heat on the hob. Just ensure it’s piping hot throughout.
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Hearty Ground Beef Dinner Recipes
- Epic Lasagne
- Spaghetti Bolognese
- Traditional Cottage Pie
- Soft and Juicy Meatballs
- Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas
Alrighty, let’s tuck into this Chilli Con Carne recipe shall we?!
How to make the best Chilli Con Carne (Full Recipe & Video)
The BEST Chilli Con Carne
- Large heavy top pot & Wooden Spoon
- Chopping Board & Sharp Knife
Ingredients (check list):
- 2.2lbs / 1kg Ground Beef (preferably lean)
- 2x 14oz/400g cans Kidney Beans, drained
- 2x 14oz/400g cans Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 cup / 250ml Red Wine
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Beef Stock Cubes (Beef Bouillon)
- 2 heaped tbsp Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste in US)
- 1 large White Onion, finely diced
- 1 large Red Pepper (Capsicum/Bell Pepper) finely diced
- 2 tbsp each: Paprika, Cumin, Chilli Powder (or to preferred spice level)
- 1 tsp each: Oregano, Ground Coriander, Sugar, Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
Extras 'n' Optionals to serve:
- Lime Wedges
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro)
- Add a splash of oil over medium heat. Add your Onion, Red Pepper and Garlic and fry until they begin to soften and start to brown.
- Add your beef, break it up into small pieces and continue to fry over medium heat until there is no sign of pink in the meat. If you've got fatty mince, drain away some of the fat here. Stir in 2 heaped tbsp tomato puree then deglaze with 1cup/250ml red wine. Allow to simmer for around 5 mins to burn off some of the alcohol.
- Add 2 cans chopped tomatoes, 2 cans drained kidney beans, 2 beef stock cubes, 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp Cumin, Paprika, Chilli Powder (or to spice preference), 1 tsp oregano, ground coriander, salt & sugar (or to taste) and 1/2 tsp black pepper. If you're not sure with spice just start off with 1 tbsp chilli powder and adjust at the end.
- Give it a good stir then pop on the lid, turn down heat to low and allow to simmer for 1 hour 30mins, stirring occasionally. I know it seems a long time but it truly makes the difference.
- Take off lid and allow to simmer until the sauce thickens (5 or so mins). Adjust seasoning with chilli powder, salt, sugar and black pepper.
- Serve over rice with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of fresh coriander (cilantro) and a squeeze of lime juice. Also some cheese if you please!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Chilli Con Carne recipe be sure to pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!