There’s just a few simple but crucial ingredients that make this dip the best ever! Once you give this easy homemade Blue Cheese Dip recipe a go you’ll never get store bought again!
Homemade Blue Cheese Dip
You know what, come to think of it I don’t think I’ve ever bought a blue cheese dip from the shop before. Never had a reason to! A homemade blue cheese dip is waaaaaaay too easy and delicious to do that. And trust me, this recipe is about to be your new ‘go-to’ dip for just about everything.
First things first –
What is the difference between blue cheese dressing and blue cheese dip?
Whilst they are fairly interchangeable, there are small differences. A dressing is often slightly thinner in consistency, making it great for drizzling over salads. A lot of dressings also use buttermilk, where in contrast dips often use sour and/or mayo for a thicker consistency.
Blue Cheese Dip Ingredients
- Blue Cheese – The heart and soul of the dip.
- Mayo – Adds a tangy flavour which plays off the blue cheese nicely.
- Sour Cream – Adds creaminess to balance out the sharp flavours.
- Chives – Fresh chives are a game changer in this dip!
- Lemon Juice – Adds freshness to the dip.
How to make Blue Cheese Dip
It really is as simple as combining in a bowl and taste testing to adjust measurements to preference. I actually highly recommend making this dip in advance. It gives a chance for the flavours to marry together. Just cover and pop in the fridge over night!
Chunky vs smooth blue cheese dip
Personally I prefer a chunky blue cheese dip, which means just simply crumbling in the cheese. If you’re after a smooth dip then smash the cheese with a fork in a little lemon juice to form a paste. Mix in the other ingredients from there.
What type of blue cheese to use?
I’ll always go for a nice strong Stilton. For a milder blue cheese taste then use something creamier like a Gorgonzola.
Can I use Greek Yogurt in blue cheese dip?
You can, and a lot of recipes do, but honestly if I’m having blue cheese dip I’m eating it with something equally as ‘unhealthy’. Stick with the full fat mayo and treat yourself 😂
What serve with Blue Cheese Dip?
- Oven Baked French Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Popcorn Chicken
- Baked Potato Wedges
- Celery, Cucumber and/or Carrot
I also like to drizzle this in my Buffalo Chicken Wraps as well!
And there we have it! A gorgeously creamy, tangy and luxurious blue dip if yours for the taking! If you’re looking for another delicious blue cheese recipe then definitely check out my Buffalo Chicken Meatballs (Stuffed with Blue Cheese!). If you’re looking for more easy dips I think you’ll love these too:
Quick and Easy Party Dips
- Sweet Chilli Mayo
- Cheese and Chive Dip
- Creamy Avocado Dip
- Classic Hummus
- Sour Cream and Chive Dip
- More Delicious Dips!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe shall we?!
How to make Blue Cheese Dip (Full Recipe & Video)
Blue Cheese Dip
- Medium Sized Mixing Bowl
- Serving Bowl
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 2/3 cup / 150g Sour Cream
- 1/3 cup / 75g Full Fat Mayo
- 1/2 cup / 50g crumbled Blue Cheese, or more to taste
- 1 tsp Fresh Chives, finely diced
- 1/2 Lemon, juice only
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Combine all of your ingredients in a suitably sized bowl. Taste test and adjust accordingly with salt and pepper. Also adjust lemon juice, blue cheese and chives if desired.
- Cover and allow to sit in the fridge until needed or serve immediately.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Blue Cheese Dip recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or have a question? Let me know in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!