Here I share with you a some game changing tips to getting Oven Baked Potato Wedges that are crispy and crunchy on the outside, yet light and fluffy on the inside!
And that’s what potato wedges are all about right? Nobody wants soggy wedges, there’s literally nothing worse. So it got me thinking, surely the only way to get crispy potato wedges isn’t just using a deep fat fryer? There’s got to be a way to getting truly crispy wedges in the oven. Well my friends, after much trial and error, and eating too many potatoes to the point I now look like a potato, I can safely tell you yes. Homemade crispy oven baked potato wedges are totally a thing.
Here I share with you some crucial tips in getting gorgeously fluffy, yet nice and crunchy potato wedges.
And seriously this method couldn’t be easier.
Let’s start with the potato itself shall we?
Cutting Potato Wedges
- Start with 4 medium white potatoes. That will comfortably feed about 4 people with 8 chunky wedges each.
- Slice them in half, place them flat side down and make 3 even slices. This will produce 8 wedges from each potato.
- For a thicker wedge simply cut the halves into thirds (2 even slices).
For me, I ALWAYS keep the skins on. They offer a gorgeous flavour and an even more gorgeous texture when they go crispy in the oven.
But each to their own!
Parboiling Potato Wedges
Just like my Goose Fat Roast Potatoes, I always parboil my wedges before they go on the oven. Here’s why..
Boiling the potatoes for a short amount of time, literally just 3-4 minutes will help draw out starch. By drawing out starch you get a much fluffier centre after they’re baked.
After placing them in the water, the wedges will soak up some of the moisture. This is ironically what we don’t want. Potatoes that have too much moisture = soggy.
So, what to do is after you’ve drained them, let them sit for at least 5 minutes and allow the steam to leave the wedges. This is the moisture that we don’t want escaping the wedges, which is good.
Parboil the wedges for a few minutes to extract some of the starch, then let them steam to remove the unwanted water they soaked up in the process.
You with me?
What’s a crispy potato wedge if it’s not bursting with flavour? Well, not okay quite frankly.
Potato Wedge Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt & Black Pepper
Yup, a thin coating of parmesan on your wedges will help with that crispy finish you’re after AND add stacks of flavour in the process.
After you’ve let your wedges sit for a while, gives them a shake in the colander just to rough the edges (rough edges = extra crispiness) then combine with Olive Oil and your seasonings. Space them evenly apart on an oven tray and whack ’em in the oven until they look a little something like this..
And there you have it! Truly crispy oven baked potato wedges that not only have the perfect texture you’re after, but are also bursting with flavour.
From there on out it’s all about the dipping sauce.
Easy Dipping Sauces for Potato Wedges
When I spent 2 years in Australia it became apparent that the only dipping sauces for potato wedges were sweet chilli sauce and sour cream. Hey, it kinda worked!
So there we have it folks! Your fool proof guidance to incredible oven baked potato wedges. A few simple but crucial steps really make the difference in getting flavoursome, fluffy and crispy potato wedges!
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Oven Baked Potato Wedges (Full Recipe & Video)
The most INCREDIBLE Oven Baked Potato Wedges
- 4 medium White Potatoes
- 1/2 cup / 35g Parmesan, finely grated
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 heaped tsp Paprika
- 1 heaped tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper, or more for spicier wedges!
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- Slice your potatoes into 8 equal wedge shapes. I find this easiest by slicing in half, then slicing those in half, and finally slicing in half again.
- Pop in a pot of cold water with a pinch of salt and bring to boil for 3-4 minutes. You should only just be able to slice with a knife. Any longer and they're over boiled.
- Drain and give them a shake in the colander to rough the edges. Sit and rest to steam for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine your Olive Oil, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Thyme, Salt and Black Pepper and preheat the oven to 200c/390f.
- Combine your wedges with the oil seasoning, mix to fully coat, then pour in your Parmesan and mix again.
- Spray or lightly oil an oven tray and evenly space out your wedges. Use 2 trays if you have to.
- Bake for 25-30mins or until golden brown on the outside. Flip once after 15 mins.
- Enjoy hot with your favourite dip!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved these Crispy Potato Wedges in the oven, check out my Truly Crispy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries!