These Buffalo Chicken Meatballs are glazed in a homemade buffalo sauce, stuffed with blue cheese and served with sour cream, chives and celery. What’s not to love!?
Ground Chicken Meatballs
Whilst you could use beef for these buffalo meatballs, chicken is a far superior combo. I’ve got a whole post on how to get soft and juicy homemade meatballs, so do check that out if you fancy. But for now, here’s 3 essentials for chicken meatballs:
- Grated Onion – Onion is of course a must for a nice punch of flavour, but when you grate it, it not only intensifies the flavour, but adds much needed moisture to the chicken.
- Chicken Thighs – If you get the choice, try and use ground chicken thigh over breast. More fat, more flavour.
- Parmesan – Parmesan is a must in all meatballs, but especially in chicken meatballs. Adds more salty flavour and gives a subtle crisp to the outside of the meatballs.
Blue Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
Once you’ve combined your ground chicken with the seasoning, it’s time to grab some blue cheese.
The aim of the game is to choose a firm blue cheese. I often use a Danish Blue cheese as it’s powerful AND firm. Creamy blue cheeses such as Gorgonzola (my favourite 🥺) aren’t suitable for this recipe. The reason being is you don’t want it to melt and leak out the meatballs too quickly.
Once you’ve chosen your cheese, grab a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon and scoop off a chunk from the cheese. Use the palm of your hands to roll into a ball.
From there, you want to stuff the meatballs. Here’s the easiest/quickest way to do it:
How to stuff meatballs with blue cheese
- Use a 1 tbsp measuring spoon to scoop out the meat and place on an oiled tray (don’t roll yet).
- Pop a blue cheese ball on top of each portion of meat.
- Roll into a ball, ensuring the blue cheese is completely sealed.
This not only ensures the meatballs are all going to be the same size, but also saves the hassle of rolling them one by one.
Baked Chicken Meatballs
From there you want to give the meatballs a final spray and pop them in the oven to bake.
I’m usually a huge ambassador of broiling or frying meatballs, however in this case it’s easier to just pop them in the oven. I like broiling/frying because it gives a nice crust to meatballs, however in this case I like the meatballs still quite soft as they’re going to be glazed in sauce.
The meatballs will be cooked when they’re golden, with the cheese just about to leak out. 15-20mins at 390f/200c should do the trick.
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
When it comes to the buffalo glaze, I actually like to use a little less than a lot of other recipes. Just enough to give the meatballs a light coating, but not too much it over powers the blue cheese and chicken meatballs. I find they also get too messy if there’s a jug of sauce poured over them.
To glaze the meatballs either dip them one by one with a fork into a small pot of sauce, or combine all together in a large pot or saucepan. Either way, pop on a wire rack with a tray underneath so excess sauce can drip off before serving.
Top garnish the meatballs drizzle with sour cream, sprinkle with fresh chives and poke a celery stalk through the top.
And there we have it! Buffalo chicken meatballs ready to go. These are PERFECT for a gathering, your guests are going to absolutely love them.
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Buffalo Chicken Recipes
Spicy Finger Food Recipes
- Spicy Chicken Tenders
- Chorizo Sausage Rolls
- BBQ Chicken Nachos
- Chilli Stuffed Garlic Dough Balls
- Crispy Baked Jalapeno Poppers
Okay, let’s tuck into this buffalo chicken meatball recipe shall we!?
How to make Buffalo Chicken Meatballs (Full Recipe & Video)
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Large Bowl (for mixing meat)
- 1 tbsp Measuring spoon (scooping meatballs)
- 1/2 tsp measuring spoon (scooping cheese)
- Small Pot or Saucepan (for combining meatballs and sauce)
- Large Baking Tray
- Wire Rack
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping Board
- Box Grater
Ingredients (check list):
- 1lb / 500g Ground Chicken (see notes for sub)
- 5oz / 150g Firm Blue Cheese (see notes)
- 1 cup / 250ml Buffalo Sauce, or as needed (see notes for recipe)
- 3/4 cup / 45g Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup / 35g Freshly Grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 medium White Onion, grated
- 1 clove of Garlic, grated or minced
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Olive Oil Spray
- 2 ribs of Celery, sliced into thin 2" sticks
- Fresh Chives, finely diced
- Sour Cream
- In a large bowl, combine your chicken with 1/2 cup/35g parmesan, 1/4 cup parsley, 3/4cup/45g breadcrumbs, 1 medium grated onion, 1 grated garlic clove, 1 egg, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Using a 1tbsp measuring spoon, scoop out the mixture and spread out on an oil sprayed baking tray (don't roll yet).
- Using a 1/2tsp measuring spoon, scoop the blue cheese and roll into a little ball. Place on top of meat. Once each scoop of meat has a blue cheese ball on top, roll each ball into a meatball shape, making sure the blue cheese is completely wrapped.
- Spray the meatballs and pop in the oven at 390f/200c for 15-20mins or until golden and the cheese just starts to leak out.
- Using a fork, dip the meatballs in the buffalo sauce or, combine all together in a bowl/saucepan.
- Rest on wire rack with tray or paper towels underneath (to catch excess sauce). Drizzle with sour cream, sprinkle with chives and pop in a celery stick. Serve right away!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Buffalo Chicken Meatball Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!