This Smoky BBQ Chicken Pizza is the ultimate quick and easy pizza which is BURSTING with flavour!
I first created this recipe with a previous client (Jack Daniel’s®) and I legit haven’t stopped making it since. It’s one of my favourite pizza recipes to this day and I can’t wait to share it with you! Follow me…
BBQ Chicken Pizza
Look I’m gonna be honest with you. At heart, I’ve always been a tomato base pizza kinda guy. Ever since I was a young warthog it’s the way I’ve made them (and the way I’ve ordered them 😏). But in recent times a BBQ base has been my go-to. That sweet, sticky, smoky goodness slathered underneath melted cheese? I’m telling you folks, it’s so addictive.
Tomato base there’ll always be a place for you in my heart, but today it’s all about the BBQ. Here’s why you’re going to fall in love with this BBQ Chicken Pizza:
- Smoky – Where there’s BBQ, there’s gotta be a smoky twang of flavour. Here we inject smokiness, without the pizza going near a smoker!
- Date Night Dinner – Delicious meal for two for when you fancy a little cook up in the kitchen.
- Quick and Easy – As pizza recipes go, this is relatively quick and easy to make!
One of the key ingredients in this pizza is of course the chicken. As such, we want to let it shine! Here we’ll be using boneless skinless chicken breast, seasoning it up and frying it until lightly charred.
Can I make the chicken ahead of time?
Yep! Just allow to completely cool and tightly store in the fridge until needed. Bring to room temp before slicing and adding to the pizza.
Can I use leftover/rotisserie chicken instead?
You can definitely use pre-cooked chicken! I still recommend combining it with the seasoning though. Feel free to add a dash of bbq sauce too if it’s a little dry.
Process shots: add chicken breast to chopping board (photo 1), slice in half through the centre (photo 2), add smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and olive oil (photo 3), coat chicken (photo 4), add to pan (photo 5), fry both sides until lightly charred/cooked through the centre (photo 6).
BBQ Chicken Pizza Ingredients
When it comes to making the pizza dough, I use my No Yeast Pizza Dough (just because it’s so quick and easy!), but you can use store-bought dough or even a store-bought pizza base!
Alongside the pizza dough, here’s what you’ll need for the pizza:
BBQ Chicken Pizza Toppings
- Chicken – discussed above (smoke layer #1)
- BBQ Sauce – Here I use Jack Daniel’s® Full Flavour Smoky, but any kind of smoky BBQ sauce will do the trick (smoke layer #2).
- Applewood Smoked Cheddar – Or any type of smoky cheese (smoke layer #3).
- Mozzarella – Low-moisture mozzarella so the top doesn’t go watery.
- Peppers & Red Onion – Adds gorgeous colour and flavour, both thinly sliced.
- Jalapeños – BBQ sauce takes on spice beautifully!
- Oregano – a pinch of dried oregano for that classic pizza flavour.
Pizzas are all about preference though, so if you have a favourite topping for BBQ pizza then go for it!
Process shots: roll out dough and add to lightly floured pizza tray (photo 1), spread over BBQ sauce (photo 2), add cheese (photo 3), add toppings (photo 4).
Tips for the best BBQ Chicken Pizza
1. Room Temp
For best results you want your pizza dough at room temp, I usually take it out of the fridge around 1 hour beforehand.
2. Roasting Hot
You want the oven roasting hot before you add the pizza. The general rule of thumb is the hotter the better for pizza!
3. Distribute the toppings
Make sure you evenly space out the toppings and hide any particularly thin/small bits of chicken underneath cheese so it doesn’t char too much and go chewy.
Serving BBQ Chicken Pizza
If you want extra BBQ sauce then drizzle some more over at the end! For me, there’s ALWAYS gotta be a pot of Garlic and Herb Dip to go alongside (and that goes for any kind of pizza 😛). This pizza is awesome to share between two as it is, but you could add some extra sides:
What to serve with BBQ Chicken Pizza?
- Garlic Bread (or Cheesy Garlic Bread!)
- Baked Potato Wedges
- Popcorn Chicken
- Jalapeno Poppers
- Sour Cream and Chive Dip
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this BBQ chicken pizza shall we?!
How to make a Smoky BBQ Chicken Pizza (Full Recipe & Video)
Smoky BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 12"-13" Pizza Tray & Pizza Cutter
- Frying Pan & Tongs
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Paper Towels
- Rolling Pin
Ingredients (check list):
- 14oz / 400g Pizza Dough at room temp (see notes)
- 1/3 cup / 80g Smoky BBQ Sauce
- few pinches of Flour, for dusting work surface and pizza tray
- 1 small Chicken Breast (approx 5oz/150g)
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (can reduce or leave out if you don't like spice)
- hefty pinch of Salt & Black Pepper
- drizzle of Olive Oil (just under a tbsp should suffice)
- 3/4 cup / 75g Applewood Smoked Cheddar (or other smoky cheese)
- 3/4 cup / 75g Low-moisture Mozzarella, shredded (see notes)
- 1/2 small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small Red Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small Yellow Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
- Pickled Jalapeno Slices, to preference (patted dry with paper towels to remove moisture)
- Preheat oven to 230C/450F (oven must be roasting hot!)
- Slice your chicken breast through the centre as if you were going to butterfly it, creating two equal-sized breasts. Coat in the seasoning and oil, then fry over medium-high heat until lightly charred on both sides and cooked through the centre. Place to one side and allow to rest. Slice just before needed.
- Dust a work surface with flavour and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to roughly 1/4" thick and around 12" wide. Dust a pinch of flour over a pizza tray (so the pizza doesn't stick) then add the base. Use your fingers to gently stretch out the dough a little if needed.
- Spread over BBQ sauce (leave a little gap around the outside), then top with smoked cheddar and mozzarella. Add sliced chicken, peppers, onion, jalapeños and a sprinkle of oregano.
- Place in the oven for 12mins or until the cheese is deep golden and bubbly with the crust crispy and lightly browned.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
BBQ Chicken Recipes
If you loved this Smoky BBQ Chicken Pizza then be sure to pin the recipe for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!