This Cheesy Garlic Bread couldn’t be easier to make! It’s quick, outrageously delicious and perfect finger food for any occasion!
Homemade Cheesy Garlic Bread
Honestly, is there anything better? Bread slathered in a homemade garlic butter, topped with cheese and baked until bubbly. UGH. Before we get into the who what when why and hows, let’s quickly see what you’ll need:
Cheesy Garlic Bread Ingredients
Yup, just 5 ingredients!
The garlic butter literally takes 2mins to make, really couldn’t be easier. You’ll want melted butter, just so it seeps into the bread and softens it slightly. To melt the butter just pop it in the microwave (easiest method) or in a pot over low heat.
Tips for the best garlic butter
- Fresh Garlic – You’ll also want to grate/mince it so it’s almost like a paste. This will ensure a smoother distribution of garlic and get the most powerful flavour from each clove.
- Unsalted Butter – This gives you the most control over the salt level. I usually add between 1/4-1/2tsp salt. Just dip your little finger in the butter BEFORE you add the garlic to test for salt.
- Fresh Parsley – Better flavour and gives you the option to garnish the bread at the end too.
You can also make this in advance, store in the fridge and melt again before using.
Making Cheesy Garlic Bread
Right, you’ve got your bread, you’ve got the garlic butter, let’s talk cheese.
Mozzarella is by far the best cheese for garlic bread for 3 reasons:
- Flavour – It’s mellow flavour allows the garlic to shine through.
- Fat – It’s less fatty than most cheeses, meaning it doesn’t go too greasy in the oven.
- Cheese Pull – Is cheesy garlic bread even cheesy garlic bread without the classic cheese pull?!
How to make Cheesy Garlic Bread (quick summary)
- Grab bread, chopping board & bread knife.
- Slice loaf in half.
- Spread with garlic butter.
- Wrap in foil and bake.
- Top with cheese and bake again.
Can I make Cheesy Garlic Bread ahead of time?
Sure can! Just make up until after spreading the garlic butter, then wrap and store in the fridge. Take out and bake as instructed. Cheesy garlic bread is best made fresh, but you could bake the whole thing, wrap and store in the fridge until ready to serve (just keep wrapped and warm in the oven until cooked through again).
What to serve Cheesy Garlic Bread with?
What NOT to serve cheesy garlic bread with is the real question 🤣 Cheesy garlic bread goes with near enough all Pasta Recipes (Spaghetti Bolognese and Lasagne are honourable mentions), perfect with Meatballs and delicious with Roasted Tomato Soup (pictured below).
If you’re looking for more tasty garlic sides then definitely make sure you check out my Garlic Butter Potato Skins and have a ganders at these too:
Easy Garlic Bread Recipes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full cheesy garlic bread recipe shall we?!
How to make Cheesy Garlic Bread (Full Recipe & Video)
Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Large Baking Tray
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Bread Knife
- Small Pot (for melted butter)
Ingredients (check list):
- 1x 14oz/400g loaf of Bread (see notes)
- 2-2.5cups / 200-250g Mozzarella, shredded
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3 cloves of Garlic, grated/minced
- 1 tbsp Parsley, finely diced (plus extra to serve)
- 1/4 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- Pre heat oven to 356F/180C
- Melt butter in the microwave or in a pot over low heat. Combine in a small pot with 3 grated/minced cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp finely diced parsley and 1/4tsp salt & 1/8tsp black pepper (or to taste). Place to one side.
- Slice your loaf in half, to make 2 equally sized 'open' loaves. Evenly coat each loaf with your garlic butter.
- Place on a suitably sized tray, cover with foil (make a tent, crimp at the edges but don't rest on top or will stick to garlic butter) and bake for 10-15mins, or until the edges start to brown. Unwrap foil, sprinkle over mozzarella and place back in the oven until golden and bubbly (another 10mins or so). If you slightly over cooked the first time around then grill/broil the second time around, just so it cooks the cheese and not the bread itself.
- Sprinkle with a pinch more parsley, slice into wedges and serve up!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!