These Homemade BBQ Chicken Wraps are truly bursting with flavour. Served with a homemade tangy coleslaw, lunch has never looked so good!
Grilled BBQ Chicken and coleslaw are a match made in heaven. Chuck it in a tortilla wrap and you’ve got yourself a darn tasty lunch. My stomach’s growling all over again, so without further ado, let’s see what all the fuss is about.
Homemade BBQ Chicken
The star of the show here really is the BBQ chicken. As such, it’s important to let the chicken shine! Here’s a couple of rules I live by when making BBQ chicken:
Rule number 1 of BBQ chicken club – use a good quality sauce. If you can get your hands on Jack Daniel’s Sauce, that’s personally my favourite. Bulls Eye is also great. Just don’t skimp out on the cheap stuff.
Rule number 2 – Season the chicken. As delicious as the BBQ glaze is going to be, be sure to season the chicken to the high heavens for an extra punch of flavour.
BBQ Chicken Seasoning
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Black Pepper
Nothing fancy, but definitely makes the difference.
How to cook BBQ chicken
In terms of cooking the chicken, I usually chuck it on a griddle pan, mainly because there is no sun here in Edinburgh so the BBQ is rarely an option. You can also pan fry the chicken breasts, you just obviously won’t get those gorgeous char lines.
How to make BBQ Chicken on the stove (quick summary)
- Take chicken out the fridge 10-15mins before using.
- Butterfly slice the chicken to make 2 even sized breasts.
- Sprinkle with seasoning and drizzle with oil.
- Rub into meat and fully coat.
- Fry on medium-high for a few mins, then flip.
- Brush with BBQ sauce and fry until white through the centre. Take out of pan, place sauce-side-down and brush the other side with BBQ sauce.
Like I mentioned earlier, BBQ chicken and coleslaw is a match made in heaven. I’ve been making coleslaw for as long as I can remember, mainly because it’s ridiculously better than store bought. With the BBQ chicken, I like my coleslaw a little tangy, just to balance out the sweetness of the chicken. Here’s what you’ll need:
Homemade Coleslaw Dressing Ingredients
- Sour Cream
- Dijon Mustard
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt & Black Pepper
When it comes to making coleslaw it truly couldn’t be easier. I love a classic combo of carrot, onion and cabbage mixed with the dressing. If you’re not a fan of raw onion, you can sub green/spring onion for a more subtle flavour.
How to make Coleslaw (quick summary)
- Add your dressing ingredients to a small bowl.
- Whisk together and test for seasoning.
- Finely slice cabbage/onion and combine with grated carrot.
- Mix in sauce and serve immediately.
Serving BBQ Chicken Wraps
Can I make these wraps ahead of time?
I actually recommend serving these straight away. The reason is because when coleslaw sits, it’s starts to become watery. This is because the salt/vinegar/sugar starts breaking down the veg. However, I do have a tip down in the recipe card for you which might help if you’re going to make ahead the coleslaw.
What other fillings could I add?
Other welcomed additions to these chicken wraps would be: bacon, applewood cheese, avocado.
What to serve with chicken wraps?
Okey dokey, that’s all the bbq chicken info my brain has for you 🤣 If you like the sound of these wraps, you’ll love my Crispy Chicken Wraps and Buffalo Chicken Wraps, so do check them out if you fancy! And if you’re looking for more BBQ recipes then BBQ Chicken Nachos, BBQ Meatballs, BBQ Chicken Pasta and BBQ Chicken Pizza are all yours for the taking! But for now, let’s tuck into this bbq chicken wrap recipe shall we?!
How to make BBQ Chicken Wraps (Full Recipe and Video)
BBQ Chicken Wraps
- Griddle Pan
- Box Grater
- Large Mixing Bowl & Spatula
- Small Pot/Ramekin (to make dressing)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 large Chicken Breasts (take out fridge 10-15mins before using)
- 1 cup Good Quality BBQ Sauce, or as needed (see notes)
- 1 heaped tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 large Carrot, grated on a box grater
- 1/4 Red Cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/4 Green/White Cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 medium White Onion, finely sliced (see notes)
- 4 tbsp Mayo (full fat)
- 1 tbsp Sour Cream
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Sugar, (see notes)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 4 large White Flour Tortilla Wraps
- 4 small handfuls Spinach (or greens of choice)
- Butterfly slice your two breasts in half to make 4 even sized breasts. Coat in 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper & cayenne pepper (or to preference) and a good drizzle of olive oil. Fry over medium-high heat for 3-4mins then flip and coat the top with BBQ sauce.
- Fry for another few mins, then take off and place sauce-side-down on a chopping board. Brush with more BBQ sauce and leave to rest for 5mins. Slice into strips, ensuring you slice at an angle and against the grain.
- Meanwhile, combine 4 tbsp mayo, 1 tbsp sour cream, 2 tsp dijon mustard, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar and 1/2 tsp sugar (or to taste) in a small bowl and taste for seasoning. Combine in a larger bowl with your carrot, onion & cabbage and mix to combine.
- Lay your wrap down, place a small hand of spinach (or greens of choice) in a strip between the centre and bottom of the wrap. Top with coleslaw, then chicken, then fold as it were a burrito (or just simply roll it up). Enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this BBQ Chicken Wrap then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!