Looking for an easy and delicious twist on the classic nachos? Look no further than this baked BBQ Chicken Nachos recipe!
It wasn’t too long ago I was asked what my final meal would be, and without hesitation the answer ‘NACHOS’ flew out of my mouth. Soon after I realised there was no recipe on my site (whaaaaaaat!?). So, here we are, I’m glad you’ve joined me, let’s get into it.
BBQ Chicken Nachos
We all know and love the classic nachos combo – cheese, topped with guac, sour cream and salsa, maybe some ground beef too. So, I thought I’d mix things up this time. Let’s welcome to the party BBQ Chicken.
Before we get into the who, what, when, where and why, let’s check out just how easy this recipe is.
How to make BBQ Chicken Nachos in 6 steps
- Dice chicken breast into tiny chunks
- Combine with smoked paprika, garlic powder and seasoning.
- Fry until white through the centre.
- Stir through BBQ sauce and place to one side.
- Layer tortilla chips, bbq chicken, cheese, onion & chilli. You can place a pot ready for a dip in the centre if you desire.
- Repeat with second layer and bake.
How to layer nachos
For me, it’s always gotta be double decker. I find that a single layer sometimes falls a little lackluster (unless you’ve got a bucket of toppings). Start with a sturdy tortilla chip, then your meat, followed by cheese and finished with any garnish/veg. In this case I’ve gone for chilli and red onion, which pair perfectly with bbq chicken. Simply repeat a second layer and you’re good to go!
Make ahead nachos
I actually don’t ever recommend making nachos ahead of time, just for the pure fact they go soggy WAY too easily. For this recipe you could make the chicken ahead of time and pop in the fridge until needed. Just bring it back to room temp before you layer up.
Rotisserie Chicken Nachos
You could absolutely use rotisserie chicken for this recipe. Just cube or shred, then combine with your paprika, garlic powder and bbq sauce.
What cheese to use for nachos?
For BBQ chicken nachos I keep it fairly simple with 3/4 cheddar and 1/4 mozzarella. However, to pack in even more flavour, you could use Monterey Jack Cheese!
When to serve BBQ Chicken Nachos?
I mean really, do you ever need an occasion? 😂 But in all seriousness nachos do tend to be the perfect sharing appetizer at a gathering, but most specifically for game day! Perfect finger food, easy to make and a total crowd pleaser. Hey, whilst you’re here, check out my other game day snacks!
My other Game Day Snacks!
- Potato Wedges
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Jalapeno Poppers
- Bloomin Onion
- Mini Twice Baked Potatoes
- Chilli Stuffed Dough Balls
- Popcorn Chicken
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make BBQ Chicken Nachos (Full Recipe & Video)
BBQ Chicken Nachos
- 14oz / 400g Chicken Breast, diced into very small chunks
- 3/4 cup / 200g good quality BBQ Sauce
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Tortilla Chips, as needed (see notes)
- 2 cups / 200g Cheese of choice (see notes)
- 1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Red Chillis, thinly sliced & deseeded if desired
- Cilantro/Coriander, finely diced to serve
- Sour Cream, to serve
- Olive Oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 180c/356f. In a bowl combine your chicken, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt & pepper.
- In a pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium/high and add your chicken. Fry until white through the centre then pour in your BBQ sauce. Stir to completely coat the chicken then place to one side.
- In a suitably sized tray, spread half your chips, topped with half your chicken, then half your cheese and finally half your onion & chilli. Repeat with second layer. You can also leave space for the dip as I do in the video if you’d like.
- Bake in the oven for 15mins or until golden and gooey. Serve with a sprinkling of coriander/cilantro and a pot of sour cream.
Quick 1 min demo!
For another delicious and easy BBQ Chicken Recipe, check out my Smoky BBQ Chicken Pizza!