These Baked Potato Skins are doused in Garlic Butter and roasted until extra crunchy! Here I show you how easy potato skins are to make and ideas for how to serve them!
The BEST Potato Skins!
It was only the other day I witnessed someone eating a baked potato and leave the skin 😩 Absolute criminal activity in my books, and quite frankly the driving force behind this recipe!
So, the best potato skins recipe you say? Yes! I truly believe they are. Here’s why you’re going to LOVE them:
- Garlic Butter – Drenched in a garlic butter, these potato skins are bursting with flavour!
- EXTRA Crispy – Twice baked potato skins are where it’s at.
- Versatile – I’ll give you the most delicious serving suggestions for what to serve with potato skins.
Best potatoes to make potato skins?
I always go for Maris Pipers (UK), they’re great baking potatoes, nice and floury in the middle when cooked. In general go for baking potatoes (Russets, King Edwards etc). I also get quite small potatoes (just over 3.5oz/100g) just so they’re end up being perfect finger food.
From there, just stab them with a fork, brush in butter and bake until soft in the centre and golden on the outside. Check out my tips for the best baked potato to get the best out of your spuds!
Making Potato Skins
Making potato skins truly couldn’t be easier, here’s some tips to keep you on the right track:
Top tips for making potato skins
- Leave a wall – Don’t scoop out all of the potato, leave a wall around the sides (to keep the skin from sinking) and a little on the bottom (for the butter to melt into).
- Liberally brush – Don’t skimp on the garlic butter, this is where all the flavour is at!
- High temp – On the second bake you’ll want the oven at a high temp, just for extra crispiness.
Can I make potato skins ahead of time?
If you want to save time you can completely cook the potato skins and pop in the fridge or freezer until needed. They won’t be quite as crispy, and do leak out a bit more grease, but still work fine. Just cool, cover and store (in the fridge 2-3 days and freezer up to month) and pop back in the oven at a slightly lower temp until crispy!
How to make potato skins (quick summary)
- Cool potato.
- Slice in half.
- Scoop out most of filling.
- Combine parsley & garlic with leftover butter.
- Brush skins.
- Bake at high temp until crunchy.
Stuffed Potato Skins
Loaded Potato Skins
Loaded potato skins are also a classic serving option. Here I go for the timeless sour cream, bacon and chives, but you could also use feta and sun dried tomatoes!
Or you can just serve them as they are and/or with a dip!
In general though if you’re thinking ‘what to serve with potato skins’ just refer to what you’d serve garlic bread with. Because you’ve gutted out most of the potato, these are actually quite light to eat (besides the 4 tbsp butter of course 😂).
What to do with leftover potato from potato skins?
What to serve with leftover mashed potato
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other similar recipes to garlic butter potato skins?
- Mini Twice Baked Potatoes
- Jalapeno Popper Loaded Potatoes
- Cheesy Baked Broccoli Potatoes
- Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread
Okay, to the full recipe we go!
How to make Garlic Butter Potato Skins (Full Recipe & Video)
Garlic Butter Potato Skins
- Suitably Sized Baking Tray
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Small Pot (for butter)
- Zester or Fine Grater (for garlic)
Ingredients (check list):
- 6 small-medium Maris Pipers (see notes)
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
- 3 cloves of Garlic, grated/minced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- Pre heat oven to 200C/390F.
- In a small pot, combine 4 tbsp melted unsalted butter with 1/2tsp salt & 1/4tsp black pepper (or to taste).
- Stab 6 small/medium potatoes a few times with a fork, then spread out on a baking tray. Brush with butter, then pop in the oven for 45-60mins until golden, crispy and soft through the centre.
- Meanwhile, add 3 grated/minced garlic cloves and 1 tbsp finely diced parsley to your pot of melted butter (place back in the microwave if it needs re-melting).
- Take potatoes out the oven and crank heat up to 220C/430F.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice potatoes in half and scoop out most of the centre (leave some around the edges to keep shape and some at the bottom to absorb the butter). Liberally brush with your garlic butter and place back in the oven for 10-15mins until extra crispy. Give an extra seasoning of salt & pepper if you think they need it.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Potato Skins Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!