This Mustard Mash is the perfect way to spruce up a simple mashed potato. The perfect no fuss side dish!
Mash with Mustard
Honestly, mashed potatoes and mustard is a match made in heaven. I mean mashed potatoes by themselves are great, but if you’re a regular reader of mine you’ll know I like to take things a step further.
Mustard Mash Ingredients
- Cream (or milk)
- Dijon Mustard
- Wholegrain Mustard
I definitely recommend using the two different mustards, as they both bring something unique to the mash. The dijon adds that classic mustard flavour, without being as overpowering as something like hot English mustard, whilst the wholegrain adds a nice bit of texture.
How to make Mustard Mash
It really is as simple as popping your spuds in cold water and bringing to the boil until knife tender. Drain and mash with butter, then stir in cream and mustards. From there I always pour melted butter over the top just before serving, just because why the heck not?!
Make Ahead Mustard Mash
You can of course make this mustard mash ahead of time. Just allow to cool, then cover in the fridge for 2 days without the melted butter. Either bring to room temp and reheat in the microwave (mixing a couple of times) or add a splash of cream/milk and stir over medium heat in a pot. Serve with melted butter.
Serving Mustard Mash
So that’s it! No fuss mashed potatoes taken to new heights of flavour. Here’s what I love to serve this mash with:
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Easy Potato Sides
- Potato Dauphinoise
- Lemon Browned Butter Potatoes
- Goose Fat Roast Potatoes
- Cheesy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Alrighty let’s tuck into this mustard mashed potatoes shall we?!
How to make Mustard Mash (Full Recipe & Video)
- Large Pot
- Potato Masher
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Potato Peeler
- Small Potato (for melting butter)
- Serving Dish
Ingredients (check list):
- 2lb / 1kg White Potatoes
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Cream or milk, or to preference
- 4 tbsp Butter, at room temp
- 1 tbsp Butter, melted
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard, or to taste
- 2 tsp Wholegrain Mustard, or to taste
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Peel and dice your potatoes into small chunks. Pop in a pot of cold salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until knife tender (10-15mins). Drain, don't rinse.
- Mash with 4 tbsp butter until smooth. Stir in cream until desired texture, then add 1 tsp each of dijon/wholegrain mustard. If you want it more 'mustardy' stir through the 2nd two. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and pour over your final tbsp of melted butter.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Mustard Mash recipe be sure to pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!