When two worlds collide – Twice Baked Potatoes loaded with a creamy dreamy Jalapeño Popper filling. Food comas have never been more delicious!
And by delicious I mean if you’re on a diet or any sort of health kick, exist browser now. This will hurt your waistline in ways unimaginable. Everyone else, follow me. You’re in for a treat.
The ULTIMATE Loaded Potatoes
If there was an edible symbol that best illustrated my blog, it would 100% be a loaded potato. They’re big, hearty, outrageously delicious, cheesy, bacon loaded and quite frankly stuffed with enough carbs ‘n’ calories to get you through the week. Hi, and welcome to Don’t Go Bacon My Heart 🤣
Loaded potatoes are great for a couple of different reasons:
- Easy to make – Zero cooking ability needed to whip up a loaded spud (promise).
- Versatile – Stuff with whatever fillings you fancy.
- Filling – If you’re not waddling on the floor after polishing off one of these you’re a better person than me!
A lot of loaded potato recipes actually slice the potatoes in half, to make two ‘boat like’ loaded potatoes. Here I actually keep them whole to make one monster of a spud. Before we get into the filling, let’s see just how easy they are to make:
How to make Loaded Potatoes (quick summary)
- Coat potato in a drizzle of olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Bake until golden.
- Slice off the top, then scoop out most of the middle.
- Combine in a bowl with your fillings.
- Mix until smooth.
- Place back in the potato skins, top with any remaining ingredients and bake again.
Jalapeño Popper Potatoes
When it comes to the filling, jalapeño popper was a no brainer. Mainly because I’m addicted to jalapeños, but also because cream cheese, jalapeños, cheese and bacon tend to go horrendously well with potato. Alongside those fillings I chuck in some butter and garlic powder too, just for good measure.
How much Jalapeño to use?
From experience, jalapeños differ a lot in their spice levels, so it’s always a tricky one. After testing this several times I found 2-3 jalapeños hit to sweet spot of not too spicy, not too mild. However work to preference and reduce/increase as necessary.
Can you use jarred Jalapeños?
Unfortunately pickled/jarred jalapeños are not suitable for this recipe. The vinegar/brine soaks into the potato and gives an odd taste once they’re cooked. Fresh jalapeños all the way!
What Cheese to use?
Alongside the cream cheese, I use cheddar cheese. Usually a strong mature cheddar, just for an extra punch of flavour.
What toppings to add?
- Extra Bacon
- Extra Cheddar
- Extra jalapeño
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Chives
Can I prep these in advance?
These are so great to prep ahead of time. Just make up until placing in the oven, then tightly cover and pop in the fridge or freezer. If freezing then thaw in fridge and continue with recipe.
Can I make these ahead of time?
They won’t come out quite as crispy the second time around, but you can completely cook these, store in the fridge or freezer then reheat in the oven. Just make sure they’re completely cool before covering and storing, or they’ll be soggy on the other end!
What to serve with these?
-> If you’re after another delicious Jalapeño popper recipe then check out my Crispy Baked Jalapeño Poppers!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties too:
- Cheesy Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes
- Garlic Butter Potato Skins
- Mini Twice Baked Potatoes
- Ultimate Baked Potato
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these Jalapeño Popper Potatoes shall we?!
How to make Jalapeño Popper Loaded Potatoes (Full Recipe & Video)
Jalapeño Popper Loaded Potatoes
- Large Baking Tray
- Large Mix Bowl & Spatula
- Cheese Grater
- Pan (for frying bacon)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board (for chives)
Ingredients (check list):
- 4 large Baking Potatoes
- 9oz / 250g Bacon, cooked & chopped
- 5.3oz / 150g Cheddar, grated
- 5.3oz / 150g Cream Cheese
- 3 fresh Jalapeños, deseeded & finely diced (see notes)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Sour Cream, to serve
- Fresh Chives, to serve
- Stab the potatoes a few times all around. Coat in a drizzle of olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Place in the oven at 356F/180C for 60-70mins, or until deep golden and fork tender.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice off the top (3/4 of the way up) and scoop out most of the centre, leaving a thin wall to keep the potato sturdy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the potato filling with cream cheese, garlic powder, butter, a good pinch of salt and pepper (to taste) and most of your cheddar, bacon & jalapeños (save some to top).
- Evenly divide the filling among your potato skins, then top with your remaining cheddar, bacon and jalapeños. Place back in the oven at 430F/220C for 15mins or until the cheese turns nice and crispy.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved these loaded baked potatoes then be sure to Pin them for later! Already made them or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook on the way!