Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread is the twist on garlic bread you never knew you needed. With an easy homemade pesto, this is THE ultimate finger food.
There’s something quite magical about the combination of bread and pesto. I could eat a whole loaf just dipped into fresh basil pesto. So I thought, why not combine the two. This, plus my love for garlic bread, and here we are.
Homemade Basil Pesto
When it comes to what pesto to use, firstly it’s gotta be basil. I see all sorts of varieties of pesto these days, but for this basil works best. Secondly, it’s gotta be homemade. I go into how to make the best pesto into a little more detail. But just as a quick recap:
How to make Pesto in the food processor
- Add fresh basil, parmesan, garlic, pine nuts and seasoning to a food processor and turn on motor.
- Slowly pour in extra virgin olive oil until evenly combined. Test for seasoning and adjust accordingly
Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread
Alrighty, we’ve got our garlicy basil pesto, let’s talk bread.
Unlike my roasted garlic bread, I actually don’t use a baguette here. I opt for a regular loaf, slice it in half and spread on the pesto that way. This is mainly for convenience reasons, but also because it allows the cheese to go nice and golden/gooey. I also bake the bread twice. The first round is to ensure the garlic cooks properly and doesn’t end up too pungent. The second round is a short stint with the cheese, just so it goes nice and gooey.
How to make Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread (quick summary)
- Grab your loaf and gently press down if it’s too circular.
- Evenly slice in half.
- Spread across pesto.
- Wrap in foil and bake.
- Unwrap, sprinkle with mozzarella and bake until golden and gooey.
From there I garnish with a little fresh parsley, just to mimic classic garlic bread. I then slice each half into 6. Serve right away!
When to serve Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread?
Hey, whilst you’re here, why not check out my other recipes?
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Spicy Pesto Smashed Potatoes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe shall we?
How to make Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread
- Food Processor (for pesto)
- Plastic Spatula (for spreading)
- Foil (for baking)
- Oven Tray
Homemade Garlicy Pesto
- 2 large handfuls Fresh Basil (2 packed cups, approx 60g/2oz)
- 4 tbsp Pine Nuts, optionally toasted
- 1/2 cup / 35g Parmesan, finely grated
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves of Garlic (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 loaf of Bread (see notes)
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups / 200-250g Mozzarella, shredded
- Fresh Parsley, finely diced to serve
- Preheat oven to 356f/180c.
- Pop all of your pesto ingredients in a food processor apart from the oil and pulse. Gradually pour in oil until evenly combined.
- Slice your loaf of bread in half and spread the pesto over, ensuring you spread right to the edges. Individually wrap the bread in foil like a tent, making sure the foil isn’t touching the pesto. Bake in the oven for 10mins.
- Take bread out, unwrap foil and sprinkle with mozzarella. Place back in the oven until the cheese goes golden and gooey (another 10mins or so).
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Potato Salad Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!