Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread is the twist on garlic bread you never knew you needed. With an easy homemade pesto, this is THE ultimate finger food.
There’s something quite magical about the combination of bread and pesto. I could eat a whole loaf just dipped into fresh basil pesto. So I thought, why not combine the two. This, plus my love for garlic bread, and here we are.
Homemade Basil Pesto
When it comes to what pesto to use, here I use basil pesto. You could also use chive and parsley pesto or sun dried tomato pesto! Secondly, I always use homemade pesto. If you’ve only got store bought this recipe will still work, however fresh is always best. I go into how to make the best pesto into a little more detail. But just as a quick recap:
How to make Pesto in the food processor
- Add fresh basil, parmesan, garlic, pine nuts and seasoning to a food processor and turn on motor.
- Slowly pour in extra virgin olive oil until evenly combined. Test for seasoning and adjust accordingly
Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread
Alrighty, we’ve got our garlicky basil pesto, let’s talk bread.
Unlike my roasted garlic bread, I actually don’t use a baguette here. I opt for a regular loaf, slice it in half and spread on the pesto that way. This is mainly for convenience reasons, but also because it allows the cheese to go nice and golden/gooey. I also bake the bread twice. The first round is to ensure the garlic cooks properly and doesn’t end up too pungent. The second round is a short stint with the cheese, just so it goes nice and gooey.
How to make Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread (quick summary)
- Grab your loaf and gently press down if it’s too circular.
- Evenly slice in half.
- Spread across pesto.
- Wrap in foil and bake.
- Unwrap, sprinkle with cheese and bake until golden and gooey.
What cheese to use for Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread?
Mozzarella. Always mozzarella. It’s mellow flavour allows the pesto to shine through, it’s fairly low in fat (so less grease) and it’s awesome for cheese pull. I don’t recommend using any other cheese.
Can I make Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread in advance?
Cheesy pesto garlic bread is best made fresh, but you could bake the whole thing, wrap and store in the fridge until ready to serve (just keep wrapped and heat it through at 180C/350F hot and bubbly again).
When to serve Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread?
Hey, whilst you’re here, why not check out my other recipes?
Easy Garlic Bread Recipes
Fun Pesto Recipes
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Pasta
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe shall we!?
How to make Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread
- Food Processor (for pesto)
- Plastic Spatula (for spreading)
- Foil (for baking)
- Oven Tray
Ingredients (check list):
Homemade Garlicky Pesto
- 2 small bunches of Fresh Basil (60g/2oz total)
- 4 tbsp Pine Nuts, optionally toasted
- 1/2 cup / 40g Freshly Grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup / 120ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves of Garlic (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- 1x 14oz/400g loaf of Bread (see notes)
- 2.5 cups / 250g shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Pop all of the pesto ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well combined. You may need to stop and scrape the sides once or twice.
- Slice the loaf of bread in half and spread the pesto over, ensuring you spread right to the edges. Individually wrap the bread in foil like a tent, making sure the foil isn’t touching the pesto. Bake in the oven for 10mins.
- Take the bread out, unwrap the foil and sprinkle with mozzarella. Place back in the oven until the cheese goes golden and gooey (another 10mins or so).
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes: