This Devilled Sausages Recipe is the ultimate comfort food. Cooked in one pan with a rich and spicy tomato sauce, quick dinners have never tasted so good!
If you haven’t tried devilled sausages before you’re in for a treat! For those of you who have, but use store bought packet mixes, then you’re also in for a treat because these are 10000x times better 🙂 (just saying).
What are Devilled Sausages?
Devilled sausages are essentially a quick sausage casserole in a sweet, spicy and slightly sticky sauce. They’re often cooked in one pan in a rich tomatoey/beefy sauce and served with fruit such as apples, pears or currants.
Devilled sausages are the answer to your week night dinners. Quick, easy and a good excuse to use up some cupboard staples.
Finding a traditional devilled sausage recipe is pretty tricky, in fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen the same recipe twice! So, here I offer you my version!
Devilled Sausages Ingredients
- Pork Sausages
- Beef Stock + Cornstarch (Cornflour)
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne Pepper
How to make Devilled Sausages
- Fry up your sausages until browned and just cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Fry your onion & apple until golden, add your garlic to fry for a further minute, then pour in your beef stock + cornstarch and chopped tomatoes.
- Add your smoked paprika, cayenne pepper (to taste), mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, thyme and seasoning and simmer until thickened and the sausages are cooked throughout.
Yup, that simple!
Devilled sausages in the slow cooker are also a great idea! You can even sub the pork sausages with veggie sausages to make a hearty vegetarian meal too.
What to serve with Devilled Sausages
For me it’s always gotta be a nice dollop of creamy mashed potatoes. Bangers and mash is such a glorious combo and adding a rich tomatoey sauce to the equation is just a foodgasm waiting to happen.
I’ve also eaten these with rice before which works perfectly and for a low carb option consider using adding cauliflower rice!
Either way, a nice sprinkle of fresh parsley looks and tastes fab 🙂
So for a new meal to add to your rotation dinners give these yummy devilled sausages a go! Whether you’ve tried them before or have never heard of them, you’re bound to fall in love with this delicious homemade version!
How to make Devilled Sausages (Full Recipe & Video)
Ingredients (check list):
- 12 Pork Sausages
- 1 cup / 250ml Beef Stock
- 1 tsp Cornstarch/Cornflour
- 1 can (400g/14oz) Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Apple (any variety, I prefer red) cored, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Mustard (English or Dijon)
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 3/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (more or less to taste)
- 3-4 sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, for frying
- Fry your sausages over medium heat until just cooked. Take out of pan and place to one side.
- Fry your onions and apple until golden brown, then add your garlic and fry for a further minute or so.
- In a separate bowl, combine your beef stock and cornstarch/cornflour until lump free. Pour in the skillet with your tomatoes and stir until smooth.
- Add your paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and mustard. Check for seasoning/spice.
- Add your sausages back to the pan and simmer until the sauce has thickened and the sausages are hot all the way through.
Quick 1 min demo!
Looking for more quick dinner ideas to feed a family of four? Check out my Gnocchi Mac and Cheese!