Chicken coated in a Southern Fried Crispy Breadcrumb, stuffed in a wrap with the most delicious fillings imaginable!
EXTRA Crispy Chicken Wraps
Because really, there’s nothing worse than a soggy wrap is there?! Chicken wraps are great, but crispy ones are better 😏. Here’s where the crispiness comes from:
- Breaded Chicken – The chicken is breaded in Panko breadcrumbs for extra crispiness.
- Crispy Fried Onions – Onion slices coated in flour and shallow fried.
- Lettuce – Fresh crispy Romaine lettuce.
- Bacon – Of course 🤪
Now, admittedly these wraps do take a little more time to make than your average. A teeny bit more prep, BUT it’s all really simple stuff and 100% worth it.
How to make Crispy Chicken Wraps (quick summary)
- Add paprika, oregano, onion & garlic powder, s&p to a small pot.
- 3 bowls: flour, egg, breadcrumbs. Split the spices among flour and breadcrumbs.
- Coat chicken breast in flour then egg then breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry in veg oil.
- Place cheese over top to rest and melt.
Crispy Fried Onions
These were actually a beautiful mistake as I was developing the recipe. I was always putting in onion, but figured half way I’ve got leftover flour and leftover oil. So it of course made absolute sense to coat the buggers and shallow fry them.
If you don’t want to fry the onions you don’t have to. In such case I recommend using red onion and just slicing into thin strips.
Breaded Chicken Wraps
Okay, so you’ve got your crispy breaded chicken, you’ve got your crispy fried onions, let’s talk sauce.
My pick for this recipe is always sweet chilli mayo. It not only adds a nice creaminess to balance out the crispiness of everything, but, the touch of sweetness balances out the spices in the chicken nicely. You could however use any sauce you fancy 🙂
Can I make these ahead of time?
I actually don’t recommend this. I have made these, stored leftovers in the fridge and taken out the next day; they’re just simply not the same. All that glorious ‘crispiness’ you worked for disappears. Fresh is best in this case!
What to serve with Crispy Chicken Wraps
Honestly? And I can’t believe I’m saying this, but these are pretty big and filling by themselves. HOWEVER, if you were extra peckish, here’s some ideas to go alongside:
Crispy Chicken Recipes
- Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Pistachio Crusted Chicken
- Spicy Fried Chicken Tenders
Alrighty, let’s tuck into these crispy chicken wraps shall we?!
How to make Crispy Chicken Wraps (Full Recipe & Video)
Crispy Chicken Wraps
- 12" Skillet & Tongs (for flipping chicken)
- 3 Large Bowls
- 1 Small Bowl (for spice mix)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Aluminium Foil (optional)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 Chicken Breasts (brought to room temp)
- 1 cup / 250ml Vegetable Oil (see notes)
- 3/4 cup / 45g Panko Breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1/2 cup / 65g Flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp each: Oregano, Salt
- 1/2 tsp each: Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper (or to spice preference)
- 1/4 tsp each: Onion Powder, Black Pepper
- 4 large Flour Tortilla Wraps
- 8 single rashers of Streaky Bacon, cooked to crispiness preference
- 4 slices of Cheese (see notes)
- 4 small Tomatoes, sliced
- 4 tbsp Sweet Chilli Mayo
- 1 large Onion, sliced into strips
- 1 small Romaine Lettuce
- Line up 3 bowls: First with 1/2cup/65g flour, the second with 1 beaten egg and 2 tbsp milk, the final with 3/4cup/45g Panko breadcrumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt and oregano, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and cayenne pepper (or to taste) and 1/4 tsp onion powder and black pepper. Pour half in the flour and the other half in the breadcrumbs. Stir with a fork to combine.
- Butterfly 2 chicken breasts right through to make 4 even sized breasts. One by one coat in the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, ensuring you fully coat at each stage (especially the last).
- Heat up 1 cup of vegetable oil in a 12" skillet until a breadcrumb rapidly sizzles (medium heat for minimum of 5mins). Use tongs to carefully place the breasts in the oil. Fry for 4-5mins each side or until golden brown, crispy and cooked through the centre. Place to one side and place over cheese slices to melt slightly. Slice into strips when ready.
Wraps & Fried Onions
- Toss your onions slices in the leftovers flour, shake off excess, then place in the hot oil leftover from the chicken. Fry until golden and crispy, tossing occasionally.
- Stack in the centre of your tortilla wrap: 1 tbsp sweet chilli mayo, 1 romaine lettuce leaf, 4 slices of tomato, 2 rashers of bacon, crispy chicken, crispy onions.
- Fold up the bottom, then tightly roll into a wrap. If they seem slightly loose just wrap foil round the bottom to keep it all intact.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Crispy Chicken Wrap Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!