Chicken coated in a Southern Fried Crispy Breadcrumb, stuffed in a wrap with the most delicious fillings imaginable!
EXTRA Crispy Chicken Wraps
Because really, there’s nothing worse than a soggy wrap is there?! Chicken wraps are great, but crispy ones are better 😏. Here’s where the crispiness comes from:
- Breaded Chicken – The chicken is breaded in Panko breadcrumbs for extra crispiness.
- Crispy Fried Onions – Onion slices coated in flour and shallow fried.
- Lettuce – Fresh crispy Romaine lettuce.
- Bacon – Of course 🤪
Now, admittedly these wraps do take a little more time to make than your average. A teeny bit more prep, BUT it’s all really simple stuff and 100% worth it.
How to make Crispy Chicken Wraps (quick summary)
- Add paprika, oregano, onion & garlic powder, s&p to a small pot.
- 3 bowls: flour, egg, breadcrumbs. Split the spices among flour and breadcrumbs.
- Coat chicken breast in flour then egg then breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry in veg oil.
Crispy Fried Onions
These were actually a beautiful mistake as I was developing the recipe. I was always putting in onion, but figured half way I’ve got leftover flour and leftover oil. So it of course made absolute sense to coat the buggers and shallow fry them.
If you don’t want to fry the onions you don’t have to. In such case I recommend using red onion and just slicing into thin strips.
Breaded Chicken Wraps
Okay, so you’ve got your crispy breaded chicken, you’ve got your crispy fried onions, let’s talk sauce.
My pick for this recipe is always sweet chilli mayo. It not only adds a nice creaminess to balance out the crispiness of everything, but, the touch of sweetness balances out the spices in the chicken nicely. You could however use any sauce you fancy 🙂
Can I make these ahead of time?
I actually don’t recommend this. I have made these, stored leftovers in the fridge and taken out the next day; they’re just simply not the same. All that glorious ‘crispiness’ you worked for disappears. Fresh is best in this case!
Serving Crispy Chicken Wraps
These are super hearty as they are, but if you’re feeling extra hungry you could serve the with a side.
What to serve with Crispy Chicken Wraps
Honestly? And I can’t believe I’m saying this, but these are pretty big and filling by themselves. HOWEVER, if you were extra peckish, here’s some ideas to go alongside:
Alrighty, let’s tuck into these crispy chicken wraps shall we?!
How to make Crispy Chicken Wraps (Full Recipe & Video)
Crispy Chicken Wraps
- Large Heavy-Based or Cast-Iron Pan & Tongs (for cooking chicken & onions)
- 3 Large Shallow Bowls (for coating chicken)
- 1 Small Pot (for spice mix)
- Wire Rack & Paper Towels (for draining onion/chicken)
- Kitchen Thermometer (for checking oil temp)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 2x 7-9oz/200-250g Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup / 250ml Vegetable Oil (see notes)
- 1 cup / 60g Panko Breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1/2 cup / 75g Flour
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp EACH: Oregano, Salt
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp EACH: Onion Powder, Black Pepper
- 4 large Flour Tortilla Wraps
- 8 single rashers of Streaky Bacon, cooked to preference
- 4-8 slices of Cheese
- 3-4 small Tomatoes, sliced
- 4 large Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- 4 tbsp Sweet Chilli Mayo
- 1 large White Onion, sliced into thin strips
- Line up 3 bowls: First with flour, the second with beaten eggs and the final with Panko breadcrumbs. In a small pot or bowl combine 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt & oregano, 1/2 tsp garlic powder & cayenne pepper and 1/4 tsp onion powder & black pepper. Mix half of the seasoning into the flour and the other half into the breadcrumbs.
- Butterfly 2 chicken breasts right through the centre to make 4 even-sized breasts. One by one coat in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs, ensuring you fully coat at each stage (especially the last).
- Heat up 1 cup of oil over medium heat in a large heavy-based pan until a breadcrumb rapidly sizzles (aim to get the oil around 180C). Use tongs to carefully place the chicken in the oil. Fry for 3-5mins each side or until golden brown, crispy and cooked through the centre. Rest on a wire rack above a tray or paper towels to drain away excess oil. You'll likely need to do this in two batches.
- Toss the sliced onion in the leftover flour, shake off the excess, and then place in the hot oil leftover from the chicken. Fry until golden and crispy, tossing occasionally (around 10mins). If there's a considerable amount of breadcrumbs left over in the oil from the chicken just spoon them out. Make sure the oil is back to temp before adding the onions. Drain on paper towels when done.
- Stack in the centre of your tortilla wrap: 1 tbsp sweet chilli mayo, 1 romaine lettuce leaf, 3-4 tomato slices, 1-2 slices of cheese, 2 rashers of bacon, sliced crispy chicken, crispy onions.
- Fold up the bottom, then tightly roll into a wrap. If they seem slightly loose just wrap foil round the bottom to keep it all intact.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you’re looking for more chicken wrap recipes then definitely check out my BBQ Chicken Wraps, Cheeseburger Wraps, Antipasti Wraps and Buffalo Chicken Wraps. I’m also confident you’ll love these recipes too:
Crispy Chicken Recipes
- Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Pistachio Crusted Chicken
- Spicy Fried Chicken Tenders