This Pistachio Crusted Chicken is the perfect easy chicken dinner for two. With the addition of a Honey Mustard Cream sauce, the flavours in this dish are incredible! And don’t be deceived, it seriously couldn’t be more simple to make!
So I’ll start by saying this is officially my new favourite dinner. Ever. Like of all time ever.
It’s truly a combination that dreams are made of, both in terms of texture and flavour. That crispy, crunchy pistachio crusting, lathered in a rich and twangy honey mustard cream sauce. Yep, that’s the kinda life I’m all about.
There’s a few steps in this process (none of which are difficult) but boy oh boy it’s worth the teeny bit of effort required. And honestly it’s actually quite a quick process, especially if you’ve got your partner alongside you helping along!
First things first, we start with our dear friend ‘food processor’ and in turn let’s discuss:
How to crust a Chicken Breast with Pistachios
- Pulse pistachios, rosemary and lemon zest in a food processor. Combine with breadcrumbs.
- Knock up a quick 50:50 ratio honey mustard sauce.
- Pound the living crap out of a chicken breast. Paint with your sauce, then cover with your pistachio crumb.
Who needs to pay for therapy sessions these days when you’ve got access to a rolling pin and a chicken breast? Just remember the last time your significant other left their clothes all over floor or splattered toothpaste on the mirror, grab that rolling pin and don’t hold back.
I did actually toy around with a few different cooking methods for the chicken and here’s what I found.
Best way to cook pistachio crusted chicken
- Baking – Whilst the crumb stood a better chance of sticking to the chicken, it didn’t come out crispy. In fact quite the opposite, I found it to be a little mushy.
- Part fry, part bake – I’ve seen this method used with similar recipes and it didn’t actually turn out too badly. I fried the chicken over medium-high then finished off in the oven. However, firstly using the oven is just an extra un-needed step. Secondly the crisp wasn’t quiteeeee there. Close, but not quite.
- Frying – By pounding the chicken thin enough there’s really no need to finish off in the oven. Like all good schnitzels it’s all about the pan frying method and this recipe is no exception.
So, you’ve go the chicken, let’s talk honey mustard cream sauce. The honey mustard cream sauce actually came from my hatred for food waste. By using your leftover honey mustard glaze and adding a few extra simple ingredients, you can create one of the most delicious sauces to accompany your chicken.
Honey Mustard Cream Sauce Ingredients
- Remainder of your honey mustard mix
- Chicken stock
- Heavy cream
Combining the chicken with the sauce just ends up being truly magical dish.
You get that beautiful crispy, nutty chicken which in itself is bursting with flavour. Then lathering it in a smooth and silky honey mustard cream sauce and you’ve got yourself a plate of heaven.
The perfect easy chicken dinner for two with the flavour to match. Now that’s a real winner winner chicken dinner in my eyes.
I’m telling you guys, if this isn’t your new go-to dinner sauce for just about everything then I’ve failed at life. Officially.
So next time you’re looking for a romantic meal for two or just after your honey mustard fix, spare a thought for this pistachio crusted chicken with honey mustard cream sauce. (full recipe below)
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Pistachio Crusted Chicken with Honey Mustard Cream Sauce (Full Recipe & Video)
Pistachio Crusted Chicken with a Honey Mustard Cream Sauce
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper
Honey Mustard Mix
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 cup (100g) unsalted Pistachios (weighed without shell)
- 1/2 cup (50g) Breadcrumbs
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 1 small Lemon (zest of)
Honey Mustard Cream Sauce
- Remainder of Honey Mustard Mix (after glazing chicken with it)
- 1 Shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Heavy Cream
- 1-2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Cling Film/Zip Lock Bag
- Rolling Pin/Meat Hammer
- Food Processor
- Begin by combining your Honey, Mustard & Pinch of Salt and Pepper. Place to one side.
- In a food processor, add your Pistachios, Rosemary and Lemon Zest. Pulse until a crumb like texture. Combine on a large plate with your Breadcrumbs, Salt & Pepper. Place to one side.
- Loosely cover your Chicken Breast with cling film and bash until smooth and completely even. The thinner it is, the quicker it will cook. Unwrap and season with Salt & Pepper, then brush both sides with your Honey Mustard mix.
- Place on your plate of Pistachio Crumb and completely coat both sides. Build up a thick even coat, making sure all the chicken is covered. Repeat with second breast.
- Heat up a good glug of Oil in a suitably sized pan over medium heat. Fry the chicken (flipping once) until white and piping hot throughout the centre. Timings will depends on the thickness of breast you ended up with. Should take approx 6-10mins. If you notice the crumb starts to blacken then reduce the heat. It should end up a deep golden colour.
Honey Mustard Cream Sauce
- Sauté your Shallots until translucent and fragrant. Add your Garlic and fry for a minute or so longer.
- Pour in your leftover Honey Mustard mix, then stir in your Chicken Stock. After, add your Cream and Thyme then reduce to a simmer until it thickens, stirring occasionally (5-7mins).
- Remove Thyme before serving.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this chicken dinner for two, then check out my Date Night Gnocchi for another romantic dinner idea!