Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese is the ULTIMATE grilled cheese combo. Juicy chicken wrapped in a homemade basil pesto, paired with sun dried tomatoes and stringy mozzarella – the perfect lunch ready and waiting!
I know I said this about my cranberry bacon brie grilled cheese, but this is not a drill. I have officially found the greatest grilled cheese combo. Chicken – pesto – mozzarella – sun dried tomato – gimme. Just look at that cheesy goodness..
This recipe came about through a grilled cheese craving (always) and a rummage through the fridge to use up leftovers.
Voila, the most convenient grilled cheese you’ll ever make.
I actually had some shredded rotisserie chicken leftover from those buffalo chicken wraps I made the other day. That alongside the jar of homemade basil pesto I’ve always got lurking in the fridge, I knew I was on to something great.
Step one – chicken pesto.
When it came to the cheese, it totally had to be mozzarella.
Besides the fact it gives the perfect ‘cheese pull effect’, it actually partners with pesto really neatly for a couple of different reasons.
Firstly, unlike many different cheeses, when it’s heated it doesn’t produce a huge amount of oil. Pesto itself is already incredibly oily, so to prevent the grilled cheese turning into a brick of oil, mozzarella was the most sensible choice.
Secondly, it has quite a subtle flavour. I really wanted the flavour of the pesto to shine through, so it was important not to overshadow it with a strong tasting cheese.
The sun dried tomatoes also made perfect sense with the pesto. And again for me, someone who always has a jar of sun dried tomatoes that need using up, were incredibly convenient to use too!
From there it was just a case of chucking it all together!
How to make a Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Butter one side of each of your slices of bread and place butter side down on a pan, with the heat off.
- Top with mozzarella, followed by your chicken pesto, topped with sun dried tomatoes, followed by more mozzarella and finished with a second slice of bread. Butter the top and turn on to a medium heat.
- Fry until golden brown then flip. Cook until the cheese just begins to leak out the sides.
A chicken pesto grilled cheese is the perfect way to use up some leftovers and build the most delicious lunch in the process. Quick to make and packed full of flavour, this grilled cheese recipe is an absolute must!
Okay my belly is rumbling all over again, let’s get a move on.
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make a Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
MEGA Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese
- 4 Thick Slices of Bread
- 1 packed cups / ~250g Shredded Chicken
- 1/2 cup / 75g Basil Pesto
- 1.5 cups / 150g Mozzarella, shredded
- 8-12 Sun Dried Tomatoes (patted dry if necessary)
- 4 spreads of Butter
- In a bowl, combine your chicken and pesto. Place to one side.
- Place two slices of bread in a pan with the heat OFF. Spread with butter then flip over so both are butter side down.
- Spread half your mozzarella, top with chicken pesto, then with your sun dried tomatoes, followed by the other half of your mozzarella, finished with a slice of bread. Spread butter on top and turn on the heat to a medium.
- Fry each side until golden and crispy. The centre should be hot and the mozzarella should just begin to leak out the sides.
Quick 1 min demo!
Looking for more grilled cheese recipes? Check out my Cranberry Bacon Brie Grilled Cheese!