This grilled cheese is packed with grilled halloumi, chorizo, sun dried tomato pesto, avocado and mozzarella – i.e. The ULTIMATE halloumi sandwich!
Halloumi Grilled Cheese
So unnecessary, yet so necessary. So bad for you, yet so good(?) for you. There seems to be a running theme on this blog.. Apart from literally none of it is good for you 🤣 Anywho, who’s ready for the sandwich to end all sandwiches?
Why you’ll love this Halloumi sandwich:
- Flavour – An explosion of flavours!
- Easy – Literally no cooking ability required.
- Filling – So. Damn. Filling – (beware).
Okay, let’s talk halloumi.
Or pan fried, same thing.
Whilst the halloumi will heat up in the grilled cheese, it won’t be enough to soften it completely. Plus you miss out on that gorgeous smoky flavour if you haven’t fried it beforehand. I’ve got 3 easy tips for perfect halloumi:
- Pat dry with a paper towel to remove as much moisture as you can.
- Use oil if you don’t have a non-stick pan.
- Fry at room temp (I find it releases less moisture)
To pan fry simply place halloumi strips in a large pan over medium-high heat and fry both sides until golden and soft!
Ultimate Halloumi Sandwich
Alright, here’s where things get intense.
Sure, grilled halloumi with a little salad would be great in a sandwich. But no. Ohhhhh no. Obviously here at DGBMH HQ we take things a little further. A step too far some might say. A tasty step none the less. Here’s what we’re throwing in with the halloumi:
Chorizo, Sun Dried Tomato Pesto (see recipe card for subs), Avocado, Mozzarella.
How to make Halloumi Grilled Cheese (quick summary)
- Butter bread and place butter side down. Add halloumi.
- Top with Chorizo.
- Spread pesto.
- Add avocado and mozzarella. Top with buttered bread.
- Add to pan on medium heat.
- Fry both sides until golden.
And that’s it! Easy right?
If you like the sound of this flavour combo I know you’ll love my Egg in a Hole Breakfast Bagel (also has halloumi and avo). Here’s some other similar recipes to check out as well:
Unique Grilled Cheese Recipes
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Maple Bacon Grilled Cheese
- Cranberry, Bacon & Brie Grilled Cheese
- Leftover Turkey Grilled Cheese
- Breakfast Grilled Cheese
Okay dokey, let’s tuck into this halloumi sandwich recipe shall we?!
How to make a Halloumi Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
The ULTIMATE Halloumi Sandwich
- 12" Fry Pan
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Paper Towels
Ingredients (check list):
- 4 large thick slices of Bread
- 1x 8oz/225g block of Halloumi, divided into 8
- 3.5oz / 100g Chorizo, thinly sliced (with casing removed)
- 1/2 cup / 50g Mozzarella, shredded
- 1 small Avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp Sun Dried Tomato Pesto (see notes)
- Butter, as needed
Optional, to serve:
- Sour Cream
- Soak up as much moisture as you can from your 8 slices of halloumi with paper towels. Place in a pan over medium-high heat and fry both sides until golden. If your pan is non-stick you won't have to add oil (can still add a touch), if it's not, I recommend using oil.
- Butter both sides of 2 slices of bread and place butter side down on a chopping board. Add halloumi slices, followed by chorizo, topped with sun dried tomato pesto, followed by avocado and finished with mozzarella. Top with another slice of bread and spread butter over the top.
- Place in a pan over medium heat and fry both sides until golden, carefully flipping in between. Serve with rocket/arugula and a dip of sour cream!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
For more delicious sandwich recipes check out my second blog Something About Sandwiches! Yeah, I’m kinda secretly obsessed with sandwiches…
If you loved this Halloumi Sandwich recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!