This Pesto Pasta Salad truly is the ultimate Summer Pasta Salad. Packed with Homemade Pesto, Mozzarella, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Pine Nuts, it’s a total explosion of flavours!
This is always my go-to dish to bring to a BBQ. Never fails. Everybody loves a pasta salad, but they’ll love a pesto pasta salad even more. Let’s see what all the fuss is about shall we?
Pasta Salad with Pesto
Pesto is brilliant in the sense it goes with literally everything. Yes, even that.
I’ve written a more in depth post on Homemade Basil Pesto so check that out if you fancy. But for now, here’s what you’ll need:
Basil Pesto Ingredients
- Fresh Basil
- Pine Nuts
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
That’s it! Such a such a simple recipe. PLUS it’s so easy to make it’s really not worth going near store bought pesto.
How to make Basil Pesto
- Plonk all your ingredients in a food processor apart from your oil.
- Turn on motor and gradually pour in oil until desired texture. Check for seasoning.
Pesto Pasta Salad
As simply wonderful just pesto and pasta is, we’ve gotta chuck some other goodies in there too.
Pesto Pasta Salad Ingredients
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Pine Nuts
- Red Onion
Very simple, but incredibly flavoursome. To take things to the next level flavour-wise consider adding the following: squeeze of Lemon Juice, extra Basil Leaves, 1 tbsp Sun Dried Tomato Oil.
If you’re looking to pack the salad out a little more, then I’ve personally added these before and they go perfectly:
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Charred Sweetcorn
- Fresh Cherry Tomatoes
How to serve Pesto Pasta Salad
With pesto, unless I’m tossing it through pasta, and using starchy pasta water to create an emulsion, I don’t serve it hot. The oil separates and it just goes gross.
Having said that, I don’t serve this pasta salad cold either. I’ll always bring it to room temp before serving. It relaxes the pesto a little bit and brings it back to being a bit more ‘saucy’ and less stodgy.
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Spicy Pesto Smashed Potatoes
Righto, let’s tuck into the full pesto pasta salad recipe!
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Pesto Pasta Salad (Full Recipe & Video)
Pesto Pasta Salad with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Food Processor
- Mixing Bowl
- Salad Tongs
- 2 large handfuls Fresh Basil Leaves (approx 2 packed cups worth)
- 1/2 cup - 2/3 cup (125ml - 150ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or as needed (see notes)
- 1/2 cup / 35g Parmesan, grated
- 4 tbsp Pine nuts, toasted (see notes)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- 12.3oz / 350g Fusillata Casareccia, or other short cut pasta
- 1.25 cups / 125g Sun Dried Tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup / 50g Mixed Olives, halved
- 3-4 tbsp Pine Nuts, toasted
- 20 Cherry Mozzarella Balls (see notes)
- 1/2 small Red Onion, very thinly sliced
- squeeze of Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Sun Dried Tomato Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- small Basil Leaves
- Cook your pasta in salted boiling water according to packet instruction. Drain and rinse with cold water and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, add all of your pesto ingredients to a food processor and turn on the motor. Gradually pour in extra virgin olive oil until desired texture. Test for seasoning.
- Pour pesto over pasta and toss through your other ingredients (with optional extras). Serve right away or cover and pop in the fridge for later.
Quick 1 min demo!
For another easy summer pasta salad, check out my Chicken, Bacon and Ranch Pasta Salad!