Take your grilled cheese game to the next level by adding maple bacon! Sweet, sticky, smokey and extra cheesy, this truly is the ultimate grilled cheese!
Yeah I really have no excuse for this is one guys. Could I just make a grilled cheese? Could I even just make a bacon grilled cheese? Is there any need for a MAPLE bacon grilled cheese??? The answer to all 3 is no, but holy crap balls this tastes good.
The idea of maple bacon is based around the ultimate combination of sweet and salty. But not only does smearing bacon in maple syrup give a mouthwatering flavour, it also offers the perfect texture. Just imagine how sweet, sticky and caramelized it comes out the oven. So good.
Maple Glazed Bacon
Making maple bacon is as simple as glazing raw streaky bacon and popping it in the oven. Some recipes just use maple syrup, most add sugar, but I like to take things a little further, just for maximum flavour. Here’s exactly how I like my maple glaze:
- Maple Syrup
- Brown Sugar
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Cayenne Pepper
And if all of that glaze actually makes it to the bacon then you’ve got a lot more will power than me.
How to make a maple bacon grilled cheese
- Add bread to a pan with the heat OFF. Spread with butter and flip over.
- Add smoked cheese.
- Add maple bacon.
- Add shredded cheddar.
- Place another slice of bread to the top and squish down with your hands. Spread with more butter.
- Turn on heat to a medium and fry both sides until golden.
Tips for the perfect grilled cheese
- Butter the bread, not the pan. If you butter the pan it’s likely to clump up in certain areas of the bread and cook it unevenly. Spreading on the bread before hand will ensure an even toast across the board.
- Don’t over heat! Keep the flames medium-low; this will allow you to get a nice toasty crust whilst still melting the centre.
- Don’t be afraid to pack in the cheese – when, and I mean WHEN not ‘if’ it spills out, it’ll go gorgeously crispy and IMO those are the best bits!
Exhibit A: see below.
The mayo vs butter debate!
I think it’s pretty well established that us Brits use butter to spread on the bread, but in the US it seems much more divided. When I first heard about using mayo it did intrigue me, mainly because I am an absolute mayo addict. I have tried it a couple of times and it’s nice, but it’s no butter. Using mayo adds a tang to the grilled cheese and arguable makes the outside less greasy, so I can see the appeal, but personally not for me. I have heard of people using a mix of both so you can always try that too!
Any who, someone pass me a honey dipper loaded with extra glaze because quite frankly there just aren’t enough calories in this grilled cheese for me.
So, for the ultimate hunger cruncher look no further than this sweet, sticky, salty, smokey and darn right stupendous grilled cheese recipe.
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make a Maple Bacon Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Maple Bacon Grilled Cheese
Ingredients (check list):
- 4 large slices of Bread (here I use Sourdough)
- 8 rashers of Streaky Bacon
- 3/4 cup / 75g Cheddar, grated
- 4 slices of Smoked Cheese (here I use Applewood)
- 4 'spreads' of Butter
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350f/175c. In small bowl combine your glaze ingredients.
- Brush both sides of your bacon using 3/4 of your mixture and lay on a baking tray. Bake for around 10-15mins or until the bacon begins to caramelize. Take out, flip and reglaze. Pop back in the oven for another 10 mins or until sticky and fully caramelized.
- Place two slices of bread in a pan with the heat OFF. Spread with butter then flip over so both are butter side down. Add your smokey cheese, then maple bacon, then cheddar and finish with another slice of bread. Squish down with your hands and spread with butter.
- Turn on heat to a medium and fry each side until golden. If you want to drizzle glaze over at the end then make a little extra and ensure it doesn't make contact with your bacon brush.
Quick 1 min demo!
Looking for another OTT grilled cheese recipe? Check our my MEGA Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese!