These Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas are made with a homemade spice mix, two different cheeses and bulked out with black beans and red pepper. Better still, they’re SO easy to make!
Here I’ll share with you a few tips and tricks to creating beef quesadillas which are crispy on the outside and bursting with flavour on the inside. First things first, let’s talk ground beef.
Ground Beef Quesadillas
You want to get lean beef, preferably 5% fat. If you’ve only got beef with a higher fat percentage, you’ll want to drain the fat once it’s browned, before you add the spices. The spices I use for this are incredibly similar to my Homemade Taco Seasoning, so feel free to sub that if you’ve got it on hand. 3 tbsps worth will be fine.
Ground Beef Quesadillas Fillings
- Red Pepper (Bell Pepper)
- Black Beans
- Jalapenos (optional)
Nothing fancy, just enough to bulk out the quesadillas, but not too much you can’t wrap your face around them. Sweetcorn is also a popular filling for these types of quesadillas!
Juicy Beef, not dry!
There’s nothing worse than dry taco meat is there? As such, I add a nice dollop of tomato puree/paste and pour in some water or low sodium beef stock with a dash or cornstarch/cornflour. This will glaze the beef to ensure it doesn’t dry out. You can also leave out the cornstarch/cornflour and just reduce the amount of liquid.
How to make Ground Beef Filling for Quesadillas (quick summary)
- Fry red pepper and onion in a drizzle of olive oil until soft.
- Push to the outside of your pan and fry your beef.
- Stir tomato puree/paste.
- Pour in liquid and add cornstarch/cornflour.
- Add black beans.
- Simmer and completely reduce.
When it comes to what cheese to use, I usually go for a 50/50 combo of Cheddar and Monterey Jack. The aim of the game is to use two layers – one on the top, one on the bottom. This will keep the quesadilla ‘glued’ together. Because cheese truly does make the best glue!
How to Pan Fry Ground Beef Quesadillas (quick summary)
- Brush one side of a tortilla with oil and place oil side down in a pan (with the heat off) and sprinkle cheese.
- Add beef.
- Add jalapenos (optional).
- Add more cheese.
- Place another tortilla next door.
- Layer up.
- Fold over and turn on heat.
- Cook both sides until golden.
And there we have it! From there I usually slice each ‘half moon’ in half and serve them up right away. I recommend 1 ‘half moon’ per person with a side. I’ve actually got a whole category page on Easy Quesadilla Side Dishes so do check that out, but here’s some classics:
What to serve with quesadillas?
- Chunky Guac
- Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Avocado Fries
- Tortilla Chips
- Creamy Avocado Dip
- Sour Cream
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Easy Tex Mex Recipes
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Quesadillas
- Sweet Potato and black Bean Quesadillas
- Breakfast Burritos
- BBQ Chicken Nachos
Okay, let’s tuck into this beef quesadilla recipe shall we?
How to make Ground Beef Quesadillas (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas
- Chopping Board & Sharp Knife (for chopping veg)
- Colander or Sieve (for draining beans)
- Brush (for oil)
- 12" frying pan
- Spatula (for flipping)
- Wooden Spoon
- Large bowl (storing beef to cool)
- Paper Towel (to wipe out pan after beef)
Ingredients (check list):
- 6 8" Flour Tortillas
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil, or as needed
- 1lb / 500g Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Water or Low Sodium Beef Stock
- 1 heaped tbsp Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste in US)
- 2 tsp each: Paprika, Cumin
- 1 tsp each: Garlic Powder, Oregano, Salt
- 1/2 tsp each: Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Cornstarch/Cornflour (see notes)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Olive Oil, as needed
- 1.5 cups / 150g Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1.5 cups / 150g Cheddar, shredded
- 1 small Red Pepper (bell pepper), finely diced
- 1 small White Onion, finely diced
- 1/2 can Black Beans, rinsed
- 1 cup Pickled Jalapenos, sliced (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tsp paprika & cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, oregano & salt, 1/2 tsp onion powder & cayenne pepper and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Place to one side.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a pan over medium heat and add your onion and red pepper. Fry until softened, then scrape to the outside of the pan. Add in your beef and break up with a wooden spoon. Once browned, incorporate your onion/pepper, then mix in your spices.
- Add 1 heaped tbsp tomato puree/paste and fry with the beef for a few mins. Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup water/low sodium beef stock, then stir in 1/2 tsp cornstarch/cornflour (or 2-3 tbsp liquid and no cornstarch/cornflour). Add 1/2 can black beans and allow to simmer and reduce for 5mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once fully reduced (beef should be juicy, with no liquid in pan) take off heat and pour into a bowl. Allow the beef to rest until it stops steaming (important).
- Meanwhile, wipe out pan with a paper towel.
- Brush one side of each of your tortilla wraps and place one oil side down in the pan with the heat off. Sprinkle over 1/4 cup of cheese, then around 1/2 cup beef (or 1/6th of the mixture) top with a few jalapenos (optional) then finish with another 1/4 cup of cheese. Fold over and repeat with another one next to it. Switch on heat a medium and fry for a few mins each side, or until golden and hollow to tap.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Ground Beef Quesadilla Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!