Making your own Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips from scratch couldn’t be more simple. With just 3 ingredients, you’ll never get store bought again!
Homemade Tortilla Chips
When it comes to making your own tortilla chips, it truly couldn’t be easier. Yes, it’s a little more fuss than grabbing a bag from the shops BUT, they are beyond delicious. Same great taste, same crispy texture and probably a lot healthier. First things first, let’s see what you’ll need:
Homemade Tortilla Chip Ingredients
- Corn Tortillas
- Olive Oil
That’s it! You can switch things up with the seasoning. Combos I enjoy are: rosemary & garlic, smoked paprika and bbq seasoning. But for just regular lightly salted chips, just plain old salt will do the trick.
Baked Tortilla Chips
When it comes to how to cook tortilla chips, the most popular method appears to be shallow frying. This is usually to mimic the popular Mexican snack totopos. However, I’ve already gone out of my way to make my own tortilla chips, there’s no way I’m messing about with oil etc. Chuck them in the oven, flip them once and you’re good to go. They’ll come out just as crispy – promise 🙂
How to bake Tortilla Chips (quick summary)
- Combine salt and oil, then brush both sides of each of your tortilla wraps.
- Stack and slice into 8.
- Space out on an oven tray. Bake, flip and cool on a wire rack.
Crispy Tortilla Chips
The key to your tortilla chips coming out crispy is spreading them out on the tray. This is so they don’t steam and have the best opportunity to roast undisturbed. Use two or more trays if you have to!
The next step is letting them cool. As they cool down, the last bit of steam, and therefore moisture, will seep out of the chips and in turn, leave them nice and crispy. When they’re first out the oven, they might seem ever-so-soft, but they will crisp as they rest.
How to store Tortilla Chips?
Honestly, my first advice is to just make sure they’ll all gone so there’s nothing to store. Homemade chips are more susceptible to going soft/stale in comparison to store bought chips (because they retain more moisture). Having said that if you were to store them, ensure they completely cool (so as much moisture leaves as possible) and store in a ziplock bag with as much air removed as possible.
And there we have it! Perfect baked tortilla chips which are crispy.
How to make Crispy Baked Tortilla Chips (quick summary)
- Use 8″ corn tortillas.
- Space out and cook in batches.
- Stab with a knife if they begin to bubble.
- Allow to cool before tucking in.
Dips for Tortilla Chips
Okay, who’s ready to tuck in to the full baked tortilla chip recipe?
How to make Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips (Full Recipe)
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
- Sharp Knife
- Small pot (for oil)
- Large Baking Tray
- Wire Rack
Ingredients (check list):
- 8 8" Corn Tortilla Wraps
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 180c (365f).
- Combine oil & salt, then brush each side or your tortillas. Stack them, then slice into 8.
- Evenly spread out on a large oven tray & bake in the oven for 5-6mins, or until they begin to brown around the edges. Take out, flip and pop back in the oven for another 4-8mins or until golden. Be very vigilant with these, they go from perfect to burnt in no time. In my experience different brands of tortillas result in slightly different cooking times.
- Take out the oven and rest on a wire rack to cool. As they cool, they will begin to crisp a little more.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!