This Marinara Dipping sauce is so incredibly simple to make. Use it for dipping breadsticks, calamari, fried cheese or even just plonk it on top of some garlic bread!
A homemade marinara dipping sauce recipe is always a good thing to have up your sleeve, in a very none-literal sense. It’s just perfect for every darn occasion! But in this instance, no better occasion than breadsticks…
And that’s really how this recipe came about!
I stumbled past some breadsticks that happened to be on offer at the store. Was I throwing a dinner party? No. Dip I need the breadsticks? Nope. Realistically, did I even want the damn breadsticks!? I mean no, not really. But you know, an offer’s an offer.
Anywho, you can’t have breadsticks without dip. It’s just the rule. And really you can’t have another other dip with breadsticks other than a marinara dip. Again, just the rule.
But I couldn’t find anything! Firstly, none in the store. Then no recipe that really tickled my fancy online.
So, off to the kitchen I went.
Dang, let me tell you, homemade marinara dipping sauce > life itself.
And like I said, this marinara dip is incredibly simple to make.
How to make a Marinara Dipping Sauce
- Fry up some onion and garlic in a pan until soft.
- Chuck in a can of chopped tomatoes, a splash of balsamic vinegar and some dried basil/oregano.
- Keep on a simmer until thickened. Serve hot or cold, chunky or smooth!
And it’s literally as easy as that. I also chuck in a pinch of chilli flakes and a sprinkle of sugar, but that’s completely to preference. Now, most importantly, how to use your homemade marinara sauce.
Fried cheese ball anyone?
Sure this dip is perfect for dipping cheesy objects in to, just like the crispy halloumi fries you’re about to see in a just a sec, but it’s also great at not being a dip too. Does that even make sense? Meh, lemme explain.
I also use this marinara dip as a sauce. It was only the other day I had half a tub stored in the fridge and turned it into a pasta sauce. Works perfectly for pizzas bases too!
A marinara dipping sauce is way too easy and delicious not to make when you need something to dunk in! From breadsticks and cheese to pizzas and pasta, get ready for this recipe to be your go-to dip for just about everything!
However for now, cheese dunking it shall remain. Oh hey there Halloumi Fries!
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
Marinara Dipping Sauce (Full Recipe & Video)
Marinara Dipping Sauce
Ingredients (check list):
- 1 can (14oz/400g) Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/4 Onion, finely diced
- 1 cloves Garlic, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, for frying
- Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Pinch of Sugar (to taste)
- Heat up a little oil in a suitably sized pot or pan, and fry your onions over medium heat until they just begin to brown. Add your garlic and fry for couple more minutes until it begins to brown.
- Pour in your tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and bring to a simmer.
- Add in your basil, oregano, seasoning (& chilli flakes/sugar) and stir to combine.
- Simmer for a good 10-15 mins until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
Quick 1 min demo!
For another delicious dip idea, check out my Homemade Fresh Salsa!