This Feta is drizzled in extra virgin olive oil, sprinkled with oregano then baked in an easy and delicious tomato sauce. This truly is the BEST Baked Feta Recipe!
Before recently I’d never actually baked feta, I always imagined it to just make it go firm and chewy. In fact quite the opposite happens! When you bake feta it turns deliciously creamy and incredible soft. It’s to die for 🤤
I love baked feta for an infinite amount of reasons, but here’s why you’re gonna LOVE it:
- Perfect Appetizer – A quick and easy way to serve up something special for your guests (or just yourself 😋)
- Tomato Sauce – This baked feta is cooked in a rich and delicious marinara sauce.
- Flavour – It’s bursting with flavour!!
Baked Feta in Tomato Sauce
You can really bake feta in anything, from honey and cherry tomatoes, to olives or just by itself! But for me, it doesn’t fit more perfectly than with a marinara sauce.
I’ve been whipping up batches of homemade marinara dip for yonks, so to pair it with feta was a no brainer. Here’s what you’ll need:
Marinara Dip Ingredients
- Onion & Garlic
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Dried Basil & Oregano
- Chilli Flakes
When it comes to making marinara dip for the feta, it truly couldn’t be easier. I recommend investing in some good quality chopped tomatoes, as they’re the star of the show!
How to make Marinara Dip (quick summary)
- Fry onion in olive oil.
- Add garlic.
- Pour in tomatoes.
- Add seasoning & stir to combine.
How to Bake Feta
Baking feta is really as simple as it sounds. I know a lot of recipes use aluminium foil, but I find you get better flavour/texture when it’s not wrapped. Plus, if you’re baking on top of a sauce, it allows the feta to absorb some of the flavour!
How long to Bake Feta?
I find 15-20mins at 200C/390F gives you the best result. Anything under and it doesn’t get creamy enough in the centre, anything over and it starts to go a bit rubbery. You’re looking for the feta to start turning golden around the edges, with it being soft and squishy to touch.
How to Bake Feta (quick summary)
- Pour sauce into suitably sized baking dish.
- Plonk feta in the centre.
- Drizzle with oil and extra seasoning.
- Scatter olives around and bake.
What is the best feta to bake?
I usually go for a classic Greek Feta. In all cases just make sure it’s a block (not crumbled) and ensure you get a nice quality block of feta (no imitations such as ‘salad cheese’ etc, you won’t get the same results!)
Make ahead baked feta
I wouldn’t recommend baking the whole thing, but you can definitely make the sauce ahead of time. Just let it cool, plonk the feta on top then cover and pop in the fridge until ready to bake. Also leave off oil at the end until just before going in the oven.
What to serve with baked feta?
And that’s it folks! Easy right? If you’re looking for more feta recipes then definitely check out my Feta Bruschetta, Beet & Feta Hummus and Watermelon & Feta Salad. But for now, let’s tuck into this full baked feta recipe!
How to Bake Feta (Full Recipe & Video)
- 6" x 9" Baking Dish (or similar size)
- Small Pot or Frying Pan (for marinara sauce)
- Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 7oz / 200g block of Feta
- 14oz / 400g can of good quality Chopped Tomatoes
- 6 Olives, sliced
- 1/2 small Onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Dried Oregano (plus extra to sprinkle), Dried Basil, Chilli Flakes (or to taste), Salt (or to taste), Sugar (or to taste)
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed
- Add a drizzle of oil in to a small pot or pan over medium heat and fry 1/2 small diced onion. Fry for a few mins until it begins to brown/soften. Add 1 minced clove garlic and fry for another minute until it begins to brown.
- Pour in a 14oz/400g of tomatoes, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, then add 1/2 tsp basil & oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, chilli flakes and sugar (all to taste) and a pinch of black pepper. Stir to combine and simmer for 5mins.
- Pour into a suitably sized baking dish and plonk a block of feta in the centre. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil then sprinkle with a pinch of oregano. Scatter around your sliced olives then pop in the oven at 200C/390F for 15-20mins or until it starts to go golden around the edges. It should be very soft to touch. The sauce around it should also have reduced.
- Serve warm with pita chips or chunky bread!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Baked Feta recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!