Cheese and Prosciutto Twists are the PERFECT sharing appetizer! So easy to make and even more delicious to snack on, these twists are going to make your next game day feast one to remember!
You guys, if you could smell my kitchen right now you’d probably just keel over and die (from happiness and rainbows, obv). The sweet scent of crispy cheese, prosciutto and fresh out the oven pastry is still lingering around the house as I write this post and honestly – without sounding too much like a kardashian cloned averagely famous instagram gal who lives off brand deals and coconut water – I can’t even.
But seriously who can blame me?? Just look at these cheese and prosciutto twists!
Actually if you’re Italian maybe look away. I’ve heard it’s a sin to serve crispy prosciutto. Everybody else, let’s just appreciate a close up of said crispy prosciutto, lying on a bed of even crispier cheese, wrapped in warm puff pastry. UGH! So much yum.
So some of you might actually be wondering what prosciutto is. It’s also commonly known as ‘Parma-Ham’. Essentially it’s a thinly sliced Italian dry-cured ham. The fact it is thinly sliced and can be eaten uncooked makes it perfect for these twists. Trying to roll up thick wedges of ham isn’t fun. Also messing about with meat that needs to be cooked, not for me.
Having said that if you do have some leftover thinly sliced ham feel free to sub!
You know what’s so awesome about these twists? They’re SO easy to make.
Anybody up ’til now assuming I made the puff pastry, I make no apologies in correcting you. Without fail there is always a few sheets of pre made puff pastry laying about my freezer for this exact reason. No fuss, just whack it out to defrost and you’re good to go. Perfect for quick and easy appetizers like these which require few ingredients.
Easiest way to make Cheese Twists
- Build the layers – Simply top your puff pastry with finely grated cheddar, then your prosciutto and finish with a dusting of black pepper and oregano. Push down to compact the cheese.
- Slice and twist – After just run a knife about making about 1″ gaps, then twist a couple of times.
- Brush and bake – Grab some egg wash and give them a little paint, then pop them in the oven until golden and crispy!
Then it’s just a matter of trying not to eat the eat tray. Which is seriously easier said than done.
Like I mentioned earlier, these are the perfect game day snack. Besides the fact they’re delicious, they’re ideal because you can make in bulk and serve hot or cold. There’s nothing worse than putting a spread out and worrying about stuff going cold. These twists taste just as delicious cold as they do fresh out the oven!
On one condition though – dip must be present. (dip does not have to be present I just enjoy the extra calories)
For me, it has to be sour cream and chive dip every single time.
So at your next game day gathering, family get together or cheesy carb craving, spare a thought for these cheese and prosciutto twists. Super easy, inexpensive and delicious, these are bound to be your new ‘go-to’ appetizer. (full recipe below)
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Cheese and Prosciutto Twists (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheese and Prosciutto Twists
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry, thawed as necessary
- 10 Slices Prosciutto/Parma Ham
- 2 Large Handfuls Cheddar, finely grated
- few Pinches Dried Oregano
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp Milk
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180c/356f.
- Unroll your pastry and place straight onto a baking sheet in a suitably sized oven tray.
- Evenly space out your Cheese and push down with your hands to flatten. Sprinkle a little Oregano and Black Pepper, then evenly space out your Prosciutto. You might need to cut a piece in half/quarter to fit perfectly.
- Take a sharp knife and cut into 1 inch strips. Space out the strips then twist a couple of times.
- Combine your beaten Egg with 1 tbsp Milk and brush the surfaces of your twists.
- Pop in the oven for 15-20 mins or until golden and crispy. Enjoy warm or cold laster in the day!
Quick 1 min demo!
For more perfect footy snacks, check our my Crispy Baked Jalapeño Poppers!