Cheese and Prosciutto Twists are the PERFECT sharing appetizer! So easy to make and even more delicious to snack on, these twists are going to make your next game day feast one to remember!
You guys, if you could smell my kitchen right now you’d probably just keel over and die (from happiness and rainbows, obv). The sweet scent of crispy cheese, prosciutto and fresh out the oven pastry is still lingering around the house as I write this post and honestly – without sounding too much like a Kardashian cloned averagely famous instagram gal who lives off brand deals and coconut water – I can’t even.
The Ultimate Puff Pastry Twists
Sure, cheese twists are great, but stick a bit of prosciutto in there? Heaven. Here’s why you’re gonna love these beauties:
- Few ingredients – at its most basic, all you need is 3 ingredients.
- Quick – minimal prep, easy to make and done in 30mins.
- Delicious – most importantly these are insanely tasty!
They’re also perfect for literally any occasion. Great as an appetizer or starter, even better for feeding a crowd for game day!
Prosciutto and Cheese Twists
If you’re Italian maybe look away. I’ve heard it’s a sin to serve crispy prosciutto. Everybody else, let’s just appreciate a close up of said crispy prosciutto, lying on a bed of even crispier cheese, wrapped in warm puff pastry. UGH! So much yum.
So some of you might actually be wondering what prosciutto is. It’s also commonly known as ‘Parma-Ham’. Essentially it’s a thinly sliced Italian dry-cured ham. The fact it is thinly sliced and can be eaten uncooked makes it perfect for these twists. Trying to roll up thick wedges of ham isn’t fun. Also messing about with meat that needs to be cooked, not for me.
Can I use regular ham instead?
You can sub ham as long as it’s thin. Also I recommend patting the slices dry with a paper towel if they’re notably (sorry for this word) moist. You don’t want to make the pastry soggy at all.
Easiest way to make Cheese Twists
- Build the layers – Simply top your puff pastry with finely grated cheddar, then your prosciutto and finish with a dusting of black pepper and oregano. Push down to compact the cheese.
- Slice and twist – After just run a knife about making about 1″ gaps, then twist a couple of times.
- Brush and bake – Grab some egg wash and give them a little paint, then pop them in the oven until golden and crispy!
What cheese to use?
I’m usually a sucker for a strong mature cheddar, but because the prosciutto is so salty here, I find a medium or mild cheddar works best. In all cases you want to make sure the cheese is finely grated. This will ensure you can squish it down to make it flat and make the ‘twisting’ easier, without the cheese falling everywhere.
Can I make these ahead of time?
Yep! Just allow to completely cool then store in the fridge or freezer. Bake at a low temp for a few mins to reheat!
Serving Prosciutto Twists
Like I mentioned earlier, these are the perfect game day snack. Besides the fact they’re delicious, they’re ideal because you can make in bulk and serve hot or cold. There’s nothing worse than putting a spread out and worrying about stuff going cold. These twists taste just as delicious cold as they do fresh out the oven!
On one condition though – dip must be present. (dip does not have to be present I just enjoy the extra calories). Here I use sour cream and chive dip but do check out all of my delicious dips for more inspo!
If you’re after more similar recipes check out these beauties too:
Fun Puff Pastry Recipes
- Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- Pepperoni Pizza Parcels
- Potato, Cheese and Onion Pasties
- Cheese and Bacon Turnovers
- Sausage, Bean and Cheese Melts
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these prosciutto puff pastry twists shall we?!
How to make Cheese and Prosciutto Twists (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheese and Prosciutto Puff Pastry Twists
- Large Baking Tray
- Parchment/Greaseproof Paper
- Small Pot and Brush (for egg wash)
- Fine Cheese Grater
- Sharp Knife
Ingredients (check list):
- 1 sheet of Pre Rolled Puff Pastry (see notes)
- 4-5 slices Prosciutto/Parma Ham (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups / 150g Cheddar, finely grated (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Unroll your pastry and place straight onto a baking sheet in a suitably sized oven tray.
- Evenly space out your cheese and push down with your hands to flatten. Sprinkle with oregano and black pepper, then evenly space out your slices of prosciutto. You might need to cut a piece in half/quarter to fit perfectly.
- Take a sharp knife and cut into 1 inch strips. Space out the strips then twist a couple of times. Important to give your twists space in the oven else they will stick together!
- Brush the visible parts of pastry with egg wash, then pop in the oven for 15-20 mins or until golden and crispy. If they start to char too quickly then lower the heat.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved the Cheese and Prosciutto recipe be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!