This Onion and Garlic Dip tastes even better than store bought and couldn’t be easier to make!
If you’re looking for a quick, easy and delicious dip that’s bursting with flavour, follow me…
Onion and Garlic Dip Ingredients
Most of the ingredients here are easy to get your hands on, and hopefully some might be knocking about your cupboards/fridge already. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mayo & Sour Cream – 50/50 split, both full fat for a fuller flavour!
- Onion – Fresh onion and grated on a box grater.
- Garlic – Finely grated or minced.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh Lemon juice, not the bottled stuff.
- Parsley – Dried works great here! Can use fresh though if you have it.
I don’t tend to add salt and pepper, but you can if you wish. I do sometimes add a pinch of sugar, just to balance out the acidity of the onion and garlic, but this is optional again.
How to make Onion and Garlic Dip
First tip is to ensure the onion and garlic are grated. This not only helps with texture and allows them to blend into the dip easier, but also increases the strength of flavour in both. By dicing the onion/garlic you are merely chopping the cell up into tiny pieces, whereas when you grate them you burst the cells, which in turn allows more ‘flavour’ to escape. Something along those lines anyway…
The other tip is to make the dip in advance. I highly recommend making the dip, tightly covering and popping in the fridge until needed. This will help the flavours marry together. Not a deal breaker, but does make a difference.
In terms of actually making the dip it truly couldn’t be easier than combining in a bowl with a spatula.
When it comes to serving the dip, you could keep it healthy with carrots and celery, but you’ve already got a cup of full fat mayo and sour cream sat in front of you, so now now may not be the time to pretend to be healthy (as I have done in all these photos 😂). Homemade Pita Chips and Homemade Tortilla Chips work great, but if you’re after something a bit heavier go for some Crispy Chicken Tenders or Crispy Breaded Mushrooms!
If you’re looking for more similar homemade dips check out these beauties:
Easy Homemade Dips
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this onion and garlic dip shall we!?
How to make Onion and Garlic Dip (Full Recipe & Video)
Onion and Garlic Dip
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Box Grater
Ingredients (check list):
- 1/2 cup / 120g Mayo (full fat)
- 1/2 cup / 120g Sour Cream
- 1/2 Lemon, juice only
- 1/2 small Onion, grated on box grater
- 1 small clove of Garlic, finely grated/minced
- 1/2 tsp Dried Parsley
- Salt, Pepper & Sugar, to taste
- In a small mixing bowl combine mayo, sour cream, onion, garlic, lemon juice and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Taste test for seasoning and adjust accordingly. I tend not to add salt or pepper, these are optional. A pinch of sugar will balance out the acidity from the onion/garlic, but again this is optional.
- Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Onion and Garlic Dip Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!