These Smoked Salmon Bagels are loaded with a homemade herb cream cheese, avocado and capers. They’re easy to make and bursting with flavour!
The ULTIMATE Salmon Bagel
You ever gone into a cafe, bought a bagel and then wondered if you should take out a mortgage to pay for the thing? And then do it over and over again? 😂Yeah same. Don’t get me wrong, I love cafes, I love bagels from cafes and quite frankly I sometimes enjoy spending ridiculous amounts of money for said bagel. BUT, let’s be frank here. Cafe style salmon bagels are insanely easy to replicate at home. Here’s what you’ll need for the best salmon bagel:
- Bagels – here I use sesame bagels, but you can use any variety you like.
- Herb Cream Cheese – more on this in just a sec.
- Smoked Salmon – the piece de resistance.
- Avocado – Quite frankly I can’t remember the last bagel/sandwich/meal I had without avocado and this recipe is no exception.
- Capers – fish and capers are a match made in heaven!
- Lemon – see above.
At it’s absolute heart though all you need is smoked salmon, cream cheese and bagels. I’m just extra and I hope you are too.
Herb Cream Cheese
Did I say the smoked salmon was the piece de resistance? I really meant this is. Sure, cream cheese is great, but stuffing some herbs in is much more fun. For the herb cream cheese I use chives and parsley. Dill also works really nicely in this recipe, but it is quite a powerful herb. As such I usually leave it out of the cream cheese and just sprinkle a pinch over at the end.
Another thing going in is lemon. I tend to use lemon zest because I prefer a thicker cream cheese. However, if you prefer a smoother cream cheese you can use lemon juice. Slightly different flavours but nothing too dramatic.
Best Cream Cheese to use?
I usually go Philadelphia, but your favourite brand is fine. I also always go for full fat, just cause I’m a full fat kinda guy.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yep! In fact I encourage you to do so. It’ll give the flavours time to marry and for the herbs to completely soften through.
Homemade Salmon Bagels
As you can imagine, making salmon bagels couldn’t be easier. Just a few things to consider though:
To toast or not to toast?
Totally optionally. I actually like to toast one side on a smoking hot griddle pan to get some nice grill marks, but this is optional (I told you I’m extra!).
Subs and variations
- Red Onion – always a nice addition and can sub for the chives. Very thinly sliced, you won’t need much.
- Cucumber – another welcomed addition. Could sub for the avocado.
- Rocket/Arugula – sometimes, just sometimes, I’ll add some more green into this. And if I do it’s usually this. It’s quite ‘peppery’ so goes perfectly.
Stacking order: bottom bagel, herb cream cheese, avocado, salmon, lemon juice (optional), capers and dill, top bagel.
And there we have it! And absolutely no mortgages were taken out in the process of this recipe 🤣 I usually serve these up for a quick lunch (done in under 10mins) or a brunch if I can’t wait. Oh sod it let’s make them for breakfast for crying out loud.
If you’re looking for more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Cafe Style Recipes: Smashed Avocado on Toast.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these salmon cream cheese bagels shall we?
How to make Salmon Bagels (Full Recipe & Video)
Salmon Cream Cheese Bagels
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Bread Knife
- Zester (optional)
Ingredients (check list):
- 4 Bagels, halved (see notes)
- 7oz / 200g Smoked Salmon Slices
- 7oz / 200g Cream Cheese
- 2 small/medium Avocados, peeled, stoned and sliced into thin strips
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp finely diced Fresh Parsley
- 1 tbsp finely diced Fresh Chives
- 4 tsp Capers
- Fresh Dill, to serve (see notes)
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 7oz/200g cream cheese, 1 tbsp finely diced chives and parsley, a hefty pinch of cracked black pepper (to taste) and the zest of half a lemon. Alternatively, if you don't have a zester or want a smoother cream cheese you can squeeze in lemon juice (to taste).
- Evenly distribute fillings and stack in the following order: bottom bagel slice, herb cream cheese, avocado, salmon, capers, a pinch of dill then finish with top bagel slice. I also like to squeeze a little lemon juice on the salmon, but this is optional.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Salmon Bagel Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!