Forget what you thought you knew about pizza bagels and prepare to uncontrollably drool. These pizza bagels are an absolute game changer!
In answer to your question, no I will not stop turning random things into pizzas 😂 Today’s victim: the humble bagel. Follow me…
The BEST Pizza Bagel Recipe!
Bagel pizzas are totally already a thing, and I’ve been wanting to whip up a batch for a while now. But couldn’t quite justify adding to the hundreds or recipes there already are. As such, I’ve decided to put my twist on it.
Regular Pizza Bagels
Most pizza bagels I’ve seen are simply half bagels, topped with sauce and cheese then cooked.
Don’t Go Bacon My Heart’s Pizza Bagels
Here I use the whole bagel as one. So you’ve got bagel (bottom layer) fillings (middle layer) then the top bagel with a crispy herb & parmesan crust (top layer). Essentially a face full of deliciousness, the way that pizzas and bagels should be. Kinda like a pizza bagel sandwich!
Making Pizza Bagels
As you can imagine, turning bagels into a pizza is a fairly easy process. Here’s what you’ll need:
Pizza Bagel Ingredients
- Bagels – Plain medium/large sized bagels. I don’t recommend any flavoured/seeded bagels.
- Pizza Sauce – Homemade or store bought. You could even use BBQ Sauce if you’re going for that vibe!
- Cheese – Always mozzarella!
- Fillings – Here I use: pepperoni, peppers and onion.
- Toppings – Brush the top bagel with butter, then sprinkle with parmesan and oregano. Game changer!
Can I use different fillings?
Sure! If you’re using a fair bit of veg, I recommend frying it off first. Just to get rid of some of the moisture. If you’re adding meat that needs cooking, definitely make sure you cook it before adding to the bagels (ground beef, chicken etc).
To make the bagel pizzas it’s really as easy as spreading over pizza sauce on the bottom slice of bagel (photos 1&2), topping with mozzarella (photo 3), adding your toppings (photos 4&5), sprinkle a little more cheese (photo 6), plonk on the top bagel (photo 7), then brush with butter and sprinkle with parmesan and oregano (photo 8).
Oven Cooked Pizza Bagels
Step away from the microwave 😂I have seen similar recipes to this suggest cooking in the microwave, but here we’re looking to get a nice crispy bagel (notably the top) so the oven is the only way.
I usually set the oven fairly low at 180C/356F, just to give the fillings a chance to cook through before the outside crisps up. Too high and the outside will burn before the inside has cooked & the cheese has melted.
Can you prep these ahead of time?
Absolutely! Just leave off the butter/parmesan/oregano, tightly wrap and store in the fridge until needed. When ready to bake, just add the topping then.
Serving Pizza Bagels
What to serve with pizza bagels?
Honestly? They’re pretty delicious and filling as they are. But, if you’re looking for DIPS then Garlic and Herb (classic Domino’s style) or Sour Cream and Chive work great. If you’re looking for a few nibbles on the side check these out:
- Potato Wedges
- Baked French Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Onion Rings
- Garlic Bread (or Cheesy Garlic Bread!)
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these pizza bagels shall we?!
How to make Pizza Bagels (Full Recipe & Video)
Epic Pizza Bagels
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Small Pot & Brush (for butter)
- Baking Tray
Ingredients (check list):
- 4 Bagels, halved
- 1 cup / 100g Mozzarella, shredded (or as needed)
- 16 slices of Pepperoni
- 4 tbsp Pizza Sauce
- 4 tbsp Mixed Peppers, finely diced
- 4 heaped tsp Onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp Parmesan (see notes)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Pre heat oven to 180C/356F.
- Spread the bottom slice of your bagel with pizza sauce, followed by a sprinkle of mozzarella, then pepperoni, peppers and onion. Top with a pinch more mozzarella, then finish with the top slice of bagel.
- Brush the top of the bagel with melted butter, then sprinkle with parmesan and oregano.
- Pop bagels on a baking tray and place in the oven for 15mins, or until the parmesan goes golden crispy, the bagel is crispy and the cheese is melted.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you’re on the hunt for some similar recipes then have a ganders at these too:
Fun Pizza Recipes
Fun Bagel Recipes
- Egg in a Hole Breakfast Bagel
- Smoked Salmon Bagel
- Breakfast Quiche Stuffed Bagels
- Tuna Melt Bagels
- Cheese Stuffed Bagels
If you loved this Pizza Bagel Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!