Create the ultimate Cafe Style Smashed Avocado on Toast in the comfort of your own home, for a fraction of the price. Perfect for lazy brunches! – Hungry now? Jump to Recipe
If living in Melbourne taught me one thing, it’s that eating overpriced smashed avocado on toast was a weekly occurrence for everybody. No matter your location or bank balance, you will find the most over the top smashed avo and pay a ridiculous amount of money for it. It’s just the way of life whether you like it or not, a disease that takes over you the second you land in the city.
Look, I ate enough smashed avocado to nearly send me bankrupt. But it kinda got me thinking, could I bring this beauty from the cafes into the kitchen?
Like, is it really acceptable to spend $20 on smashed avo when I can barely afford my rent?
Part of me still screamed ‘yes of course it is!’, but the food blogger in me thought this needs to stop. The spending 20 bucks that is. So I took it upon myself to start my own personal smashed avocado journey and create everything my tastebuds needed, whilst still leaving me being able to pay my rent.
Introducing my take on a cafe style smashed avocado on toast..
In true cafe style, slightly over the top, yet classy enough to want to face plant. The great thing about this dish is you take it as far as you like, there are no rules with the smashed avo and that’s the beauty of it!
But for me, this combo of flavours does the trick every single time.
Ingredients for the best Smashed Avocado recipe
– Sourdough Toast
– Smashed Avo
– Streaky Bacon
– Pumpkin Seeds
– Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
– Poached Egg
A perfect concoction of textures and a gorgeous balance of sweet, salty and sour. And as you may have already guessed this will be the easiest brunch you’ll ever have the pleasure of creating.
Top tips for creating the perfect Smashed Avocado on Toast
Whatever ingredients you chose to use, there are a few tips I’d definitely keep in mind!
1. Be gentle with the avo: The key is to lightly smash, not completely mash. Leaving chunks in the bottom layer holds the whole dish together once you start stacking. I much prefer the rustic kinda style of smashed avo rather than a purée smeared on the bottom. Each to their own!
2. Season well: Be sure to bring out the best in the avo with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice BEFORE you start stacking. Keep the avo the star of the show by enhancing its natural goodness.
3. Balance the flavours: Whatever toppings you choose to add, be sure to balance the sweet, salty and sour components of the dish. Here, my bacon and feta adds saltiness, lemon juice and radish some acidity and pumpkin seeds/toasted sesame seeds a nutty edge to the dish. The egg yolk finishes by adding a beautiful richness, all accompanied with some roasted cherry tomatoes for a little sweetness.
4. Poached Egg: Because everything is better with a poached egg on top.
Just look at that yolk!
So, for your next avocado craving, whip up your very own cafe style smashed avocado on toast. Perfect for brunch and far more affordable than eating out. Use this recipe as inspiration or completely construct your own, either way you’re bound to fall under the smashed avocado curse.
How to make Smashed Avocado on Toast (Full Recipe & Video)
- 2 Slices Sourdough Bread, toasted
- 1 Large Avocado
- 4 Rashers Streaky Bacon
- 4-5 Small Radishes, sliced
- 1/4 Cup (37.5g) Feta, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 Pinches Watercress
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Lemon
- 10 Vined Cherry Tomatoes to serve (5 on each vine)
- sprinkle of Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Drizzle your Tomatoes with a little oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, the place in the oven at 200c/400f for around 10 minutes until the skin begins to wilt.
Meanwhile, in a bowl combine your Avocado with a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, a squeeze of Lemon Juice and a pinch of Salt & Pepper and lightly smash with a fork. Place to one side.
Fry your Bacon until crisp, pat with a paper towel to absorb excess fat if necessary. Begin poaching your Eggs.
Whilst your Eggs are poaching, evenly distribute your Smashed Avocado on each slice of toast. Stack with Bacon followed by Radish, Feta, Pumpkin Seeds and Watercress.
Carefully place your Poached Egg on top, sprinkle with Toasted Sesame Seeds and cut just before serving.
Serve with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and a wedge of Lemon.
a) Poached Egg - For the easiest way to poach an egg check out my Perfectly Poached Egg guide.
b) Hot Toast - There's nothing worse than a gorgeous smashed avocado on toast recipe, which is served on cold, chewy toast. Make sure you leave toasting the sourdough until the last moment so it's served hot and toasty!
For another great Avocado brunch idea, check out my Avocado Tuna Melts!