This Breakfast Bagel is loaded with Bacon, Halloumi, Avocado and Chilli Jam. Topped with an Egg in a Hole, this truly is the Ultimate Breakfast Bagel Recipe!
Breakfast Bagel Sandwich
Oh breakfast bagel, how I love you so dearly 🤣 I mean really, would you want to start your day any other way?!
The fantastic thing about breakfast bagels is that they’re so versatile. The perfect chance to stuff all your fav breaky ingredients between two buns and live your dreams. Seriously, I’ve seen breakfast bagels with baked beans in them and I was absolutely not judging. Here’s what I like in mine…
Best Breakfast Bagel Fillings
- Smashed Avocado – Season with a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil!
- Streaky Bacon – The heart and soul of every breakfast.
- Halloumi – Bulks out the bagel and adds gorgeous flavour.
- Chilli Jam – Balances out the saltiness of bacon and halloumi with a hit of spice and sweetness.
- Egg in a Hole – More on this in just a sec.
- Chives – To garnish.
To get the party started, I fry off my bacon until crispy, then fry the halloumi in the bacon fat. Because you know, waste not want to and all that…
Egg in a Hole Bagel
Regular egg in a hole recipes often call for toast and most just leave it at that. Sure, egg in a hole toast is great, but if you’ve been a reader of mine for a while you know I like to take things to the extreme.
I mean, surely there’s a hole in a bagel for this exact reason, right? 😂
Tips for making an Egg in a Hole Bagel
- You want the pan temperature at medium when you crack the egg in. Too low and the egg will seep from underneath the bagel and too high and it will burn before you’ve cooked the top.
- Grilling is your best option to finish cooking if you have a ‘deep’ bagel. There are recipes that suggest putting a lid on the pan, but through doing this you are steaming the bagel. Personally I prefer it crispy like the bottom half.
- Just like you would any egg, season with a little salt & pepper. I also like to garnish with a sprinkle of fresh chives!
How to make Egg in a Hole Bagel (quick summary)
- Slice your bagel in half and toast the bottom half either in a toaster or under the grill.
- Cut a hole in the top half large enough to crack an egg in.
- Melt a little butter in the pan, place your top bagel cut side down and crack and egg in the centre.
- Pop under the grill until just cooked throughout.
How large to cut the hole in the bagel?
Generally speaking it’s better to have it slightly too large than too small. If the egg (before cracked) comfortably fits in the hole (taking in to consideration the height of the egg will be slightly more than the bagel) chances are when it’s cracked it’ll fit in. Just ensure you crack it carefully and smack bang in the centre of the hole.
What if my egg spills?
As long as it’s the white that spills over that’s absolutely fine, it just obviously won’t look quite as neat. But the white will cook under the grill so no stress 🙂
Is there a sub for the chilli jam?
The chilli jam is to balance out the saltiness of the bacon/halloumi. Adds gorgeous flavour. You’ll find it in almost all supermarkets, but if for whatever reason you don’t want to add it, just add something sweet like caramelized onions or chutney, then a pinch of chilli flakes if desired.
How do you eat an egg in a hole?
Make sure the egg in a hole is sunny side up, just for that awesome runny yolk! I recommend just eating it as you would a regular bagel. You can also dip halloumi sticks into the runny yolk on top 😋
And there we have it! The best breakfast bagel topped with the perfect egg in a hole! If you like the sound of this recipe I know you’ll love my Breakfast Quiche Stuffed Bagels. Make sure you check out my other breakfast creations too:
Fun Breakfast Recipes
Fun Bagel Recipes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into this full breakfast bagel recipe shall we?!
How to make an Egg in a Hole Breakfast Bagel (Full Recipe & Video)
Egg in a Hole Breakfast Bagel
- Fry Pan & Tongs
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Medium Bowl & Fork (for smashing avocado)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 Bagels
- 1x 8oz/225g block of Halloumi, divided into 6
- 4 rashers of Bacon
- 2 small Avocados, peeled & stoned
- 2 heaped tsp Chilli Jam
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Butter
- squeeze of Fresh Lemon Juice, to taste
- drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Chives, to garnish
- Begin by lightly smashing your avocado with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and pinch of salt & pepper to taste. Place to one side.
- Slice your bagels in half so you have a 'top' and 'base' slice. Toast your base slice either under the grill or in the toaster. Slice a hole large enough to fit an egg in the top half. Place both to one side.
- Fry 4 rashers of bacon over medium heat until desired crispiness, then fry 6 slices of halloumi in the bacon fat until golden both sides.
- Keep heat on a medium and melt 1 tsp butter in the pan. Place the top bagel in the pan and crack an egg in the centre. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Leave to fry for a few mins until the egg begins turning white, then pop under the grill and broil until just cooked throughout.
- Stack in the following order: base bagel, smashed avo, bacon, halloumi, chilli jam, top bagel with egg. Garnish will a sprinkle of finely diced chives.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Breakfast Bagel Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Got a question or already made it? Let me know in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!