These breaded mushrooms are marinated for a gorgeous depth of flavour, then deep fried for an extra crunchy finish!
The absolute key step to making these breaded mushrooms so delicious is marinating them. Most breaded mushrooms I’ve tried are indeed crispy and crunchy, but often lack flavour when it comes to the mushroom inside. As such, I’ve created an extra step here to inject some gorgeous flavour into the mushrooms.
- Soy Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Balsamic Vinegar
This combo creates a really deep flavour which really intensifies the mushrooms.
What mushrooms to use?
You want mushrooms that are on the smaller side of life, just so they cook through nicely for the short time they’re frying. As such I recommend button mushrooms. I usually keep the stalks intact, but just give them a little trim if they’re uneven sizes.
How long to marinate for?
Between 30-60mins hits the sweet spot. Any shorter and they don’t absorb enough of the marinade and any longer and they tend to shrink too much (due to the salt/acid).
You could wrap the mushrooms in a batter, but I find breadcrumbs work much better. More crunchy 🙂
Panko breadcrumbs are great because they’re big, light and airy, meaning they come out ultra crispy. You’ll find them in most stores, but if for whatever reason you haven’t got any you can use regular dry breadcrumbs.
To bread the mushrooms: coat in flour (photo 1), dip in egg (photo 2), coat in Panko (photo 3) then repeat (photo 4). You can work in batches of 2 or 3 mushrooms, just ensure you completely coat them, especially in the breadcrumbs.
Deep Fried Mushrooms
Because, well, why the heck not? Okay don’t answer that 😂
Deep frying mushrooms is actually relatively straight forward. They’re also perfect for beginners because there’s no pressure to cook them right through first time, unlike meat.
Best oil to use?
You want an oil with a high smoking point, such as vegetable, sunflower or rapeseed oil. Don’t use olive oil, you’ll smoke out the whole kitchen!
How long to fry for?
You’ll only need to deep fry for 2-3mins, just until they’re golden on the outside.
From there, I recommend draining on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath. I don’t recommend placing straight on paper towels, they’ll steam and lose their crispiness.
What to serve with breaded mushrooms?
Always gotta have a dip with your breaded mushrooms! Here’s some of my faves:
And there we have it! All my top tips and tricks for perfectly flavoursome, juicy and crispy breaded mushrooms. Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other similar recipes?
Crispy Finger Food Recipes
- Crispy Halloumi Fries
- Fried Cheese Balls
- Crispy Baked Avocado Fries
- Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Tenders
- Crispy Baked Jalapeño Poppers
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these deep fried mushrooms shall we?!
How to make Breaded Mushrooms (Full Recipe & Video)
Deep Fried Breaded Mushrooms
- Large Zip Lock Bag
- 3 Small/Medium Bowls
- Large Deep Pot & Slotted Ladle (for deep frying)
- Kitchen Thermometer
- Cooling Rack
- Paper Towels
Ingredients (check list):
- 10.5oz / 300g Button Mushrooms, cleaned & excess stalk chopped off if necessary (see notes)
- 2 heaped tbsp Plain/All Purpose Flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 cup / 60g Panko Breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 3-4cups / 750ml-1litre Vegetable Oil (or oil suitable for deep frying)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 3-4 sprigs of Thyme
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Soy Sauce (not dark)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- In a zip lock bag add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Give it a stir with a fork to blend, then add in your mushrooms and thyme. Zip the bag shut and give it a good swish around with your hands.
- Leave to marinate for 30mins - 1hour, shaking about every now and then to distribute the marinade properly. Careful, the mushrooms will shrink considerably (due to salt/vinegar) if lest for a long period of time, so just keep an eye on them.
- Set up 3 bowls: 1st is your flour with a pinch of salt and pepper, 2nd is your beaten egg and 3rd is your Panko with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Take a few mushrooms, shake off the marinade then pop in the flour, then egg and finish in the breadcrumbs. Really ensure you fully coat each mushroom at each stage, especially the last one (Panko). Repeat with all mushrooms.
- Heat up oil in a deep pot/pan to 180C/356F. In batches carefully lower the mushrooms into the oil on a slotted spoon. Allow to fry for 2-3mins, or until nicely golden. Stir them about a bit to ensure they get an even fry. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and place on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath (don't place directly on paper towels or they steam and go soggy).
- Enjoy with your favourite dip (ideas in notes section).
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Breaded Mushrooms Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!