Start your day the right way with this simple and delicious Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet. Beautiful hearty ingredients and absolutely packed with flavour!
And what’s better is that this is all gonna go down in one pan and one pan only. Because really, who enjoys doing more washing up than they have to? Certainly not me!
I always think of this dish as a sweet potato style Shakshuka. You know, that same kind of ‘I want to bury my face in that’ feeling, just with extra carbs. Which in turn makes me want to bury my face in it more.
Anywho, sweet potato breakfast skillet. What are we looking at here?
The main bulk of this recipe is a sweet potato skillet hash, just with a few extra tasty extras thrown in!
Ingredients for the perfect sweet potato breakfast
- smoked paprika
Those ingredients give you a delicious starting point for a fantastic breakfast skillet.
This dish is so versatile, you can top with anything your tastebuds fancy! In the past I’ve torn up some mozzarella, swapped out coriander (cilantro) for fresh parsley and added black beans. All work perfectly! Just use the 7 ingredient I offer here as a base and you won’t go wrong!
How to make a sweet potato skillet breakfast
- Fry up any meat, onions or garlic you’re adding and remove remove from the pan, leaving the flavoured oil in the skillet
- Add in some peeled and finely diced sweet potato (add more oil as needed) and fry over low-medium until golden brown. Should take anywhere between 10 and 15 minutes.
- Add in any seasonings and pop back in your first ingredients. Give it a stir and create a few dips in the mixture, making room for your eggs.
- Crack in your eggs and either place on a lid and steam for a few minutes (soft egg option) or place under the grill (firmer egg option)
From there it’s just a case of chucking on any cold ingredients you want to add such as coriander, avo and cheese, then grab a fork and tuck in! I also love grabbing some bread and making a breakfast bruschetta kinda thing, just because carbs are life.
This recipe is what I like to call a power breakfast. Absolutely bursting with colour, flavour and mouthwatering textures, you’ll be making this dish over and over again, promise.
Anywho, let’s tuck in shall we!
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make a Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet (Full Recipe & Video)
Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
- 2 medium Sweet Potato, peeled & diced into small chunks
- 3 Eggs
- 3.5 oz (100g) Chorizo, diced
- 1 small Onion, finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic, finely diced
- 1 Red Chilli, deseeded & finely diced
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Extras 'n' Optionals
- Avocado, sliced
- few Sprigs of Coriander (Cilantro)
- few Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- squeeze Lime Juice
- Begin by frying your chorizo over medium heat, you won't need oil as it will cook in it's own fat. Once soften, add your onion & chilli and then your garlic. Once fragrant, remove from the pan. This process should take no longer than 5 mins.
- If there isn't enough oil left in the pan from the chorizo, heat up some olive oil as needed. Begin frying your sweet potato over low-medium heat, turning occasionally, until golden brown on the outside and soft throughout (10-15mins).
- Stir back through your chorizo mixture with 1 tsp of smoked paprika. Season to taste and create 3 spaces for your eggs.
- Carefully crack your eggs in the gaps and place a lid over the pan. Turn the heat to low and allow the gentle heat and steam cook your eggs to preference.
- Serve hot with any extra toppings!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you like this Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet, you’ll LOVE my Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas!