Start your day the right way with this simple and delicious Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash. Beautiful hearty ingredients and absolutely packed with flavour!
Sweet Potato Hash
Sweet potato hash is truly one of the most glorious things in life. Not much beats crispy sweet potato in a pan. Well, until we add a few other goodies that it. Introducing –
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
If I’m making regular sweet potato hash it’s usually to go alongside something else. I really wanted to develop a recipe that includes sweet potato hash, that’s all in one pan and enough to comfortably feed 4. Taking inspiration from the Shakshuka I uploaded a few weeks ago, I think I succeeded!
How to make Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash (quick summary)
- Add onion, red pepper, jalapeno and garlic to a pan and fry over medium heat.
- Add chorizo and black beans.
- Remove from pan and drizzle in more oil.
- Add diced sweet potato.
- Stir in smoked paprika and cumin.
- Add chorizo mix.
- Make 4 holes.
- Crack in eggs and bake.
Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs
For me, the eggs truly make this breakfast. One condition – the yolk HAS to be runny. To achieve this you want to pop the skillet in the oven as soon as the eggs are cracked in. Pop it to a fairly low temp (180c/356f) and bake for 10mins, or until the eggs are JUST set. It’s important to only cook until they’re just about set as they will continue cooking once removed from the oven.
What to serve with Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash?
The sweet potato hash itself is pretty hearty, but if you like a little extra something then served with avocado slices/smashed avocado. Oh and a light sprinkling of parsley or coriander/cilantro.
And there we have it! A super easy, minimal washing up and darn right delicious breakfast or brunch ready for the taking. Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Easy Sweet Potato Recipes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into this Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash Recipe shall we?!
How to make a Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet (Full Recipe & Video)
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 12" Oven Safe Skillet
- Chopping Board & Sharp Knife
- Wooden Spoon
Ingredients (check list):
- 1lb / 500g Sweet Potato, peeled and diced to small chunks
- 4 Eggs
- 3.5oz / 100g Chorizo, diced
- 1-2 Fresh Jalapeños, deseeded & finely diced
- 1 medium Red Pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 can Black Beans, drained & rinsed
- Olive Oil, as needed (approx 2-3tbsp)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Parsley or Coriander/Cilantro
- Avocado Slices or Smashed Avocado
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a 12" oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add onion, red pepper & jalapeno and fry until soft and beginning to brown. Add 1 tsp garlic, fry for a minute longer then add chorizo. Fry for 2-3mins longer, then pour in your beans and heat for another 1-2mins. Season with salt and pepper then pour contents into a bowl, leaving excess fat in the pan.
- Drizzle in another tbsp of olive oil, then add your sweet potato. Keep on a medium heat and fry until it softens and begins to brown. This could take up to 20mins depending on the size of your sweet potato. Drizzle in more olive oil as needed to stop it drying up too much.
- Once the sweet potato begins to brown, add 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp cumin and salt & pepper to taste. Fry for another 5 mins until nice and crispy.
- Stir in your chorizo mix, then with a wooden spoon form 4 holes. Crack in the eggs, then pop the pan in the oven at 180c/356f for 10mins or until the eggs are set. Serve with a sprinkling of parsley or coriander/cilantro and avocado slices/smashed avocado.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Sweet Potato Hash recipe be sure to pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!