Here I share with you some tips for pan frying the perfect steak. I’ve also got the most gorgeous creamy mushroom sauce recipe to pair alongside!
There is seriously no better pairing in the world than a tender juicy steak with a dreamy creamy mushroom sauce. Not only is this dinner for two so easy to make, it’s actually really quick. We’re talking 20mins max. We’ll talk all things sauce in just a sec, but let’s quickly discuss how to cook the perfect steak…
Tips for how to cook the Perfect Steak
1. Room Temp
When frying any meat, you want to bring it to room temperature before you cook it. If you chuck it straight in the pan cold, it’ll seize up and be chewy. You also want to pat the steaks dry to get rid of as much unwanted moisture as possible. This will give you a better sear on the outside.
2. Season Well
Bring out the best in your steaks by giving them a heavy seasoning of salt and pepper before you add them to the pan. Rub into the meat with olive oil to give it an even coating.
3. Hot Pan
If you ignore all of my previous points, for heaven’s sake make sure the pan is scorching hot before the steak goes near it. To give it the perfect sear and properly caramelize the outside (without cooking the inside too much) the pan needs to be very hot. When you place the steak in don’t move or press down on it.
When you flip the steak add butter, rosemary, thyme and garlic and baste away to add some more gorgeous flavour to the steak.
Once cooked, let it rest undisturbed for at least 5 mins. This will ensure the as much moisture is retained in the steak as possible.
Okay, quick recap.
How to Pan Fry Steak
- Bring to room temp and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper, then coat in a drizzle of olive oil.
- Lay down on a scorching hot pan or cast iron skillet. Leave undisturbed.
- Flip over.
- Add butter, garlic, thyme and rosemary.
- Baste, then lay to rest.
Tips for the Perfect Creamy Mushroom Sauce
1. Pan Juices
A lot of the flavour in this sauce actually comes from the butter, garlic, herbs and steak juices, so 100% make this sauce in the same pan as your steaks. The different is pretty significant.
2. Chop Finely
You don’t want the steak to go cold, so a quick sauce is ideal. In order to do that you want to ‘flash fry’ the mushrooms, so make sure you really finely slice them. Plus, nobody really wants chunky mushrooms in their steak sauce…
You want to end up with a nice thick sauce. The more you reduce, arguably the more the flavour intensifies. Watery sauces are no good for steaks.
Okay, just to recap…
How to make Creamy Mushroom Sauce for Steak
- Leaves the juices, herbs and garlic in the pan from the sauce.
- Fry mushrooms until they soften.
- Add shallots and fry until they pick up colour.
- Remove herbs and garlic, pour in white wine and reduce.
- Pour in beef stock.
- Add cream and simmer until thickened.
Can I make this sauce without the steak?
You can, but as I mentioned you will miss out on the gorgeous flavours from the pan juices from the steak. If you are frying other meats i.e pork or chicken, then use those meat juices to start the sauce. If you’re going from scratch then fry the mushrooms/shallots in 1 tbsp butter and infuse with the garlic and herbs stated in the recipe below.
What to serve with Steak?
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other dinner recipes for two?
Date Night Dinner Recipes
- Honey Garlic Pork Chops
- Chicken Avocado Pasta
- Pan Fried Cod
- Baked Gnocchi with Bacon
- Pistachio Crusted Chicken
Alrighty, let’s tuck into this creamy mushroom sauce recipe shall we!?
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Steak and Creamy Mushroom Sauce (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Mushroom Sauce for Steak
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 Steaks of choice, patted dry with paper towels (see notes)
- 1 heaped tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 small sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 2 small sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 cloves of Garlic, skins on & lightly crushed with palm of hand
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 1 cup / 250ml Heavy/Double Cream
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Beef Stock
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Dry White Wine
- 1 cup / 100g Button Mushrooms, very finely sliced (see notes)
- 2 small Shallots, finely diced
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Bring steak to room temp, then drizzle with olive oil and give a heavy seasoning of salt & pepper.
- Bring a ‘heavy duty’ pan or cast iron skillet to very high temp, then lay down your steaks (pan must be hot!). Don’t push down or move the steak. For medium rare with a steak approx 2cm thick fry for 2 mins, or until the sighting of blood emerges through the upper surface. Then flip.
- Add butter, thyme, rosemary & garlic and baste for another 2mins. Remove steaks from pan & leave to rest (important).
- Lower temp to medium-high, then add mushrooms & fry for 1-2mins until soft, then add shallots. Fry for another couple of minutes until they pick up colour, then remove herbs & garlic. Pour in wine & allow to simmer and reduce. Pour in stock and cream, then season to taste. Simmer until thickened.
Quick 1 min demo!
For another delicious Steak Sauce, Check out my Creamy Peppercorn Sauce!