Date night Baked Gnocchi with Bacon is the ultimate Saturday night dinner for two. This delicious cheesy baked gnocchi is served in a tomato cream sauce and couldn’t be more easy to make!
Gnocchi in Tomato Cream Sauce
Oh gnocchi, how I love thee. Soft pillows of comfort, how could you not fall in love?
There’s a million and one things to do with gnocchi, but today we’re going to stir it through a creamy tomato sauce, plonk in some crispy bacon and baked it in the oven. The cream works perfectly in this sauce as it cuts through the acidity of the tomatoes. The end result is a rich, luxurious sauce that is seriously to die for. If that wasn’t enough to fall in love with this meal already, here’s why else I think (know 😏) you’ll love it:
- Easy – It’s fool-proof. Seriously, even the most beginner of cooks can master this dish, I promise you that.
- Versatile – Vegetarian? leave out the bacon. Love spice? Pack it with chilli. Looking for more vegetables? Absolutely stuff it with your favourite veg! On a diet? Erm, possibly not the dish for you. But you get my point.
- Perfect Date Night Dinner – Carbs, cheese and bacon. There’s no other way to cook a meal for two on a Saturday night.
How to make Gnocchi in Tomato Cream Sauce (quick summary)
- Fry bacon, onion and garlic.
- Stir in cream, tomato passata, cherry tomatoes, basil, parsley, smoked paprika and mozzarella.
- Simmer until thickened. Stir through boiled gnocchi.
Cheesy Baked Gnocchi
Right, creamy tomato gnocchi done. And realistically you could leave it there. BUT, well, isn’t everything better baked in cheese?
Simply pour your gnocchi into a suitably sized oven safe dish, top with plenty of cheddar and bake in the oven until golden and gooey. By the time you’ve baked it, the top is going to be beautifully crisp and the centre is just going to be a work of art. I also tend to sprinkle some leftover basil and parsley after, you know, just to make it seem more healthy.
The Ultimate Date Night Dinner
For me, the perfect date night is staying in eating carbs until I fall into a food coma of self loathing and regret. Hmm, sounds like a familiar scenario in the DGBMH household, but by labelling it ‘date night’ it all of a sudden seems justified. Maybe I’m old before my age, but going out on a Saturday night and spending money on average food is not for me. Luckily my hubby agrees and is more partial to an evening eat off.
This baked gnocchi has to be one of the ultimate easy dinner date recipes for two. Ridiculously quick and easy to cook, but most importantly it’s so comforting and hearty in whichever way you choose to serve it. In excess, it certainly fills the criteria of ‘food coma of self loathing and regret’ which is fab. Always perfect for date night 🤣
What to serve with baked gnocchi?
When it comes to what to have it with (oh yes, there’s more) apart from an entire bottle of red wine, because every date night dinner needs excessive amounts of wine, we’ll always go for a side salad and garlic bread.
If you are going for a side salad I do recommend checking out my Homemade Balsamic Glaze. Not only do I drizzle this stuff on literally everything, but in this case it actually pairs really well with the gnocchi. Baked Gnocchi with Bacon as you’ve probably worked out is quite rich. Adding a side salad with a drizzle of balsamic glaze will balance that out neatly with a hint of acidity and sweetness.
In this instance we just went for some rocket (arugula), sliced olives and olive oil.
Hey whilst you’re here why not check out my other dinners for two?
Date Night Dinner Recipes
- Steak and Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Spicy Chicken Pasta
- Honey Garlic Pork Chops
- Chicken Avocado Pasta
- All Date Night Recipes
Whether you’re looking for dinner date ideas at home, a Saturday night meal with your bestie or just a hearty homecooked meal, baked gnocchi with bacon is here to fulfil all your foodie needs. With it’s rich and creamy interior and crispy cheese topping, this dish is enough to make you fall in love all over again.
If you like the sound of this gnocchi recipe, I’m confident you’ll LOVE these too:
Best Gnocchi Recipes
- Chive and Parsley Pesto Gnocchi
- Gnocchi Mac and Cheese
- Crispy Gnocchi with Sausage Meatballs
- Gnocchi Nachos
- Ground Turkey Gnocchi
Alrighty, let’s tuck into this baked gnocchi recipe shall we?!
How to make Baked Gnocchi with Bacon (Full Recipe & Video)
Date Night Baked Gnocchi with Bacon
- 12" Skillet & Wooden Spoon
- Large Pot & Colander
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Suitably Sized Baking Dish
- Serving Spoon
- Cheese Grater
Ingredients (check list):
- 14oz / 400g Gnocchi
- 2 cups / 500ml Tomato Passata (Pureed Tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Double/Heavy Cream, at room temp
- 4.4oz / 125g Mozzarella Balls (can sub shredded)
- 1 cup / 100g Cheddar Cheese, or as needed
- 8-10 small Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 rashers Smoked Streaky Bacon, chopped
- 1 medium White Onion, finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic, finely diced
- 1 handful Fresh Parsley, finely diced (save some to serve)
- 1 handful Fresh Basil, finely diced (save some to serve)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 390F/200C.
- In a pan, fry up 4 rashers of chopped bacon in a little olive oil until it just begins to brown. Add 1 medium diced onion and then 1 clove of minced garlic, fry until browned and fragrant.
- Pour in 2cups/500ml tomato passata and stir through 1/4cup/60ml cream until fully blended. Add a handful of parsley & basil, 8-10 cherry tomatoes, 1 tsp smoked paprika and stir through 4.4oz/125g mozzarella until melted and gooey. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pop 14oz/400g gnocchi in salted boiling water and cook until they just start to float (2mins). Drain and stir through your sauce.
- Place in a suitably sized baking dish, top with cheese and bake for around 15-20mins or until golden and crispy on top and bubbling in the centre.
- Serve with an extra sprinkle of leftover herbs.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Date Night Gnocchi recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook on the way!