This Tenderstem Broccoli is roasted in a lemon garlic oil and topped with crispy parmesan. It makes the perfect side for just about anything!
What is broccolini?
Broccolini is both in name and flavour, very similar to broccoli. However its stem is much longer and thinner, and the florets are often much smaller.
So, what’s so good about broccolini?
One of the great things about broccolini is more often than not it comes fully prepared. Meaning unlike regular broccoli, you don’t have to do much chopping/trimming. Another great thing is its ability to take on different flavours. Perfect with acidity (like lemon juice), great with spice, or even in a creamy sauce. Lastly, it’s easy to cook in a variety of different ways. Today we’re going to bake the beauties!
Lemon Garlic Oil
To roast the broccolini you’ll want to whip up a quick concoction of lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and s&p. This gives a gorgeous base flavour to the broccolini.
Roasting broccolini, as you can imagine, is pretty straight forward. But me being me and this blog being this blog, we’re going to take things a step further.
Parmesan Roasted Broccolini
Because realistically what veg doesn’t taste better when roasted in parmesan 🤣 But seriously parmesan works wonders here. It not only adds flavour, but it also enhances the crispy texture of gorgeous charred/crispy edges.
To prepare the broccolini all you’ll need to do is make sure all the stems are even thickness/size so they all cook at an even rate.
Process shots: coat broccolini in oil and roast (photo 1), take out oven and flip (photo 2), sprinkle over parmesan and roast again (photo 3).
Once the broccolini is out the oven you’ll notice the florets may be slightly charred, and that’s fine and quite frankly inevitable. Those are the best bits anyway!
From there I usually squeeze a little lemon juice to finish, and if I’m feeling like I’ll a few chilli flakes sprinkled on top. Totally optional though.
For more similar recipes check out these beauties too:
Delicious Broccoli Recipes
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese
- Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Creamy Broccoli Salad
- Broccoli Pasta Bake
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this broccolini shall we?!
How to make Roasted Broccolini (Full Recipe & Video)
- Large Baking Tray
- Small pot (for oil)
- Fine Cheese Grater
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 14oz / 400g Broccolini
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (see notes)
- 2 medium cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice, plus more to serve
- 1/4 cup / 20g freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- pinch of Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 200C/390F. In a small pot combine 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 minced cloves of garlic and seasoning to taste.
- Slice off any particularly thick parts of the stems, then pop on a large baking tray. Pour over oil and give it all a good mix with your hands. Arrange broccolini in a row then pop in the oven for 10-12mins, or until the stalks just begin to soften and little bits of char pick up on the florets.
- Take out the oven, flip them oven, sprinkle over 1/4cup parmesan and pop back in the oven until the stems are fork tender. Another 5-8mins, depending on the size of your broccolini.
- Serve with a gentle squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of chilli flakes (optional).
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Spicy Chicken Tenders recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!