Crispy Bacon with a Quick Homemade Tomato Chutney, topped with Egg in a Hole Toast – This truly is the ULTIMATE Bacon Egg Sandwich!
Egg and Bacon Sandwich
*resists opening this post with the obvious bacon and egg pun*
DON’T GO BACON MY HEART – I COULDN’T IF I FREID.
There, it’s done. It’s out of my system. No more. 🤣
I know, an egg and bacon sandwich sounds like a pretty dull recipe right? Well I promise you this will be the best darn egg and bacon sandwich you’ll ever eat. Here’s why:
- Egg in a Hole – An egg tastes 10x more delicious when it’s fried inside toast, you know it makes sense.
- Tomato Chutney – A quick, easy and delicious chutney makes for a pimped up tomato ketchup replacement.
- Bacon Fat – We are going to put that leftover bacon fat to good use! More on that in just a sec.
Using a tomato chutney is a nice change from ketchup. It adds a luxurious tangy flavour to the sandwich.
Usually if I’m making a chutney, I’m it for the long run slaving over the hob reducing down the liquid etc. Absolutely not need for this chutney. It’s incredibly quick and super easy to make. Better still, it’s just 4 ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
Tomato Chutney Ingredients
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Red Wine Vinegar
You’ll need to dice the onion and tomato as finely as you can. This will not only speed up the chutney, but also give it a smoother texture. Alternatively you can use a hand blender to blitz once in the pot/pan.
How to make Tomato Chutney (quick summary)
- Add onion & oil to pot or pan.
- Fry until soft.
- Add vinegar, tomato and sugar.
- Rapid simmer until thickened.
Egg in a Hole Toast
Now, here’s where things get fun.
You’ll actually want to start with the bacon. Fry the bacon on a medium heat (no higher, you want to render as much fat as possible) then remove from the pan and leave the oil. You’ll utilise this to fry your bread.
From there, grab some nice big thick bread and slice a hole in one side. I usually butter one side too (other side is fried in bacon fat). If your pan is big enough, you’ll be able to make 2 sandwiches at once (4 slices in the pan), if not, just do two at a time.
How to make Egg in a Hole Toast (quick summary)
- Fry bacon.
- Fry bread in leftover oil.
- Crack egg in hole. Fry for few mins then finish cooking egg under grill.
The BEST Bacon Egg Sandwich!
And there we have it! Your pimped up egg and bacon sandwich is ready for the taking.
To serve, I usually pop the rest of the chutney in a little dish and either eat the sandwiches with a small side salad for brunch/lunch or just as they are for breaky! If you like the sound of these egg in a hole sandwiches, you’ll LOVE my Egg in a Hole Breakfast Bagel! Also definitely check out my other sandwiches:
Tasty Brunch Sandwiches
- Ultimate Halloumi Sandwich
- Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Cranberry Bacon Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Maple Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full egg bacon sandwich recipe!
How to make the Ultimate Bacon Egg Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Ultimate Egg and Bacon Sandwich
- Large Frying Pan
- Small Pot or Pan (for chutney)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Wooden Spoon
Ingredients (check list):
- 4 large thick Slices of Bread
- 6 rashers of Smoked Streaky Bacon
- 2 Eggs
- 3 medium Tomatoes, very finely diced (3 medium is approx 9oz/250g)
- 1 medium Red Onion, very finely diced (1 medium is approx 3.5oz/100g)
- 1/4 cup / 50g Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Butter, as needed
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- In a pot or small pan begin frying 1 very finely diced medium onion in a drizzle of oil over medium heat. Once the onion begins to soften and take on colour, add 3 very finely diced tomatoes, 1/4cup/50g light brown sugar, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt.
- Bring to a rapid simmer until it thickens (5-10mins). Remove from heat.
Egg in a Hole
- Fry 6 rashers bacon in a drizzle of oil over medium heat (no higher) and fry until nice and crispy, with as much fat rendered as possible.
- Meanwhile, lay 4 slices of bread on a chopping board and slice an egg-sized-hole in 2 of them. Spread one side of each slice with butter.
- Remove bacon from pan and leave the fat. Place each slice of bread in the pan butter-side-UP. If you don't have room you will have to do two at a time. Fry bread for a few mins until it starts to turn golden (don't completely toast, will finish toasting under the grill), then flip each slice so they're butter-side-down.
- Carefully crack an egg in each of the holes, season with salt and pepper, then leave to fry for 3-5mins until the egg whites almost fully turn opaque.
- Pop under the grill and broil just to finish off the top of the eggs.
- Spread a heaped tbsp chutney on the plain toast, top with 3 rashers bacon each, then finish with the egg in a hole toast!
Quick 1 min demo!
For more delicious sandwich recipes check out my second blog Something About Sandwiches! Yeah, I’m kinda secretly obsessed with sandwiches…
If you loved this Egg and Bacon Sandwich Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!