Get ready to fall in love with this Creamy Broccoli Salad with Bacon! Featuring Cranberries, Flaked Almonds & Feta, this really is simply the BEST Broccoli Salad Recipe!
I know right, broccoli salad!? It’s a bit of an odd concept, isn’t it? Raw broccoli isn’t something you often find yourself craving, I know I’d never thought of eating it before. But let me tell you, a raw broccoli salad is potentially now of my all-time favourite salads, and I’m confident it’s about to be yours too. Follow me…
Creamy Broccoli Salad
I was first introduced to broccoli salad at a restaurant a few years back and only really ordered it through curiosity. I just remember being blown away at how gorgeous raw broccoli tastes in a salad. That nice crunchy texture, wrapped in a creamy dressing. So much yum.
So, first things first, let’s talk dressing.
Creamy Broccoli Salad Dressing
- Sour Cream & Mayo – This creates the base of the dressing. Both full fat, of course!
- Sugar – Broccoli, especially raw, can be a little bitter. The sugar helps balance everything out.
- Lemon Juice – Cuts through the rich, creamy dressing.
- Salt & Pepper – Season well and to taste.
I like to keep it real simple with the dressing. No fancy ingredients, just the essentials. Some broccoli salad recipes use a vinaigrette, but I find a simple creamy dressing goes far more suitably!
Can I make the dressing ahead of time?
Sure can! If I’m doing the dressing in advance it’s usually good for 3-4days (longer at your discretion) tightly covered in the fridge.
Process shots: gather ingredients (photo 1), add to mixing bowl (photo 2), stir to combine (photo 3).
Bacon Broccoli Salad
I mean realistically there was always going to be bacon in the salad wasn’t there? 🤣 Here’s what you’ll need for the best broccoli salad combo:
Best Broccoli Salad Ingredients
- Bacon – Cooked until crisp then chopped.
- Dried Cranberries – These are such a glorious addition to broccoli salad, so don’t skip them!
- Feta – Some recipes use cheddar, but I much prefer the creamy, tangy flavours of feta.
- Flaked Almonds – These add a nice crunch.
- Red Onion – Adds a punch of flavour and pop of colour.
There are so many awesome broccoli salad recipes out there, but for me, those 5 ingredients give the most delicious combo. A broccoli salad with bacon is already a winner, but add some sweet cranberries, an extra crunch from the almonds, some feta for a little added creaminess and a gentle tang from the red onion and you’re on to something special!
Process shots: dice broccoli into small florets (photo 1), add fillings (photo 2), pour in dressing (photo 3), toss to combine (photo 4).
Broccoli Salad FAQ
Can I make this ahead of time?
Absolutely! I’ve tightly covered this in the fridge and eaten up to 3 days after (longer at your discretion). Just be aware if you’ve already made the dressing ahead of time that the shelf life might be slightly reduced. Also, the broccoli/almonds will ever so slightly soften, but the difference is small.
Do I have to cook broccoli for a broccoli salad?
Nope! The broccoli is completely raw, absolutely no need to cook the broccoli for a salad. It’s an odd concept munching on raw broccoli but I promise you it totally works in this context.
What can I sub the flaked almonds for?
If you don’t like almonds you can sub cashews/pecans. If you can’t eat nuts then use sunflower seeds.
Serving Broccoli Salad
When to serve broccoli salad?
This is great for pot lock, bringing to BBQs or even as a side for a lunch or evening meal. I usually let it rest for an hour after making, just to let the flavours develop.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this broccoli salad shall we?!
How to make Broccoli Salad (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Large Mixing Bowl & Spatula
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Frying Pan & tongs (for bacon)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 1/2 cup / 125g Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup / 125g Full Fat Mayo
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Lemon, juice only
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- 1lb / 450g whole Broccoli(s) chopped into small bite-sized florets (florets should weigh between 9-10.5oz/250-300g)
- 4-5 slices of Streaky Bacon, cooked, cooled & chopped
- tightly packed 1/3 cup / 60g Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup / 25g Flaked Almonds (see notes)
- 1/4 cup / 40g Feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp very finely diced Red Onion
- In a small mixing bowl combine mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
- In a larger bowl, add broccoli florets with dried cranberries, bacon, flaked almonds, feta and red onion. Pour in all the dressing and give it a good toss until everything is evenly combined.
- Rest in the fridge for a couple of hours (important to marry the flavours and tenderize the broccoli) then serve up and enjoy! If the dressing is a little firm, just bring it close to room temp to loosen it up.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you’re looking for similar recipes to whip up then definitely check these out:
Mega Summer Salads
- Leftover Chicken Salad
- Creamy Bacon Potato Salad
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Tomato Peach Salad
Funky Broccoli Recipes
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Broccoli Pesto Pasta with Bacon
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese
- Broccoli Pasta Bake
If you loved this Broccoli Salad Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!