Get ready to fall in love with this Creamy Broccoli Salad with Bacon! Featuring Cranberries, Flaked Almonds & Feta, this really is simply the BEST Broccoli Salad Recipe!
Creamy Broccoli Salad
I know right, broccoli salad!? It’s a bit of an odd concept isn’t it? Raw broccoli isn’t something you often find yourself craving, I know I’d never thought of eating it before. But let me tell you, a raw broccoli salad is potentially now of of my all time favourite salads, and I’m confident it’s about to be yours too!
I was first introduced to broccoli salad at a restaurant a few years back and only really ordered it through curiosity. I just remember being blown away at how gorgeous raw broccoli tastes in a salad. That nice crunchy texture, wrapped in a creamy dressing. So much yum.
So, first things first, let’s talk dressing.
Creamy Broccoli Salad Dressing
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
I like to keep it real simple with the dressing. No fancy ingredients, just the essentials. Some broccoli salad recipes use a vinaigrette, but I find a simple creamy dressing goes far more suitably!
Can I make the dressing ahead of time?
Sure can! If I’m doing the dressing in advance it’s usually good for 3-4days (longer at your discretion) tightly covered in the fridge.
Bacon Broccoli Salad
I mean realistically there was always going to be bacon in the salad wasn’t there? 🤣 Here’s what you’ll need for the best broccoli salad combo:
Best Broccoli Salad Ingredients
- Dried Cranberries
- Flaked Almonds
- Red Onion
There’s so many awesome broccoli salad recipes out there, but for me those 5 ingredients give the most delicious combo. A broccoli salad with bacon for is already a winner, but add some sweet cranberries, an extra crunch from the almonds, some feta for a little added creaminess and a gentle tang from the red onion and you’re on to something special!
Broccoli Salad FAQ
Can I make this ahead of time?
Absolutely! I’ve tightly covered this in the fridge and eaten up to 3 days after (longer at your discretion). Just be aware if you’ve already made the dressing ahead of time that the shelf life might be slightly reduced. Also, the broccoli/almonds will ever so slightly soften, but the difference is small.
Do I have to cook broccoli for a broccoli salad?
Nope! The broccoli is completely raw, absolutely no need to cook the broccoli for a salad. It’s an odd concept munching on raw broccoli but I promise you it totally works in this context.
When to serve broccoli salad?
This is great for pot lock, bringing to BBQs or even as a side for a lunch or evening meal. I usually let it rest for an hour after making, just to let the flavours develop. The dressing will get soaked up, so just adjust as necessary when this happens.
If you’re looking for similar recipes to whip up then definitely check these out if you’ve got a sec:
Mega Summer Salads
Funky Broccoli Recipes
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Broccoli Pesto Pasta with Bacon
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese
- Broccoli Pasta Bake
Okay, let’s tuck into the full bacon broccoli salad recipe shall we!?
How to make Broccoli Salad (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Large Mixing Bowl & Spatula
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Frying Pan & tongs (for bacon)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 1 large Broccoli, chopped into bitesized florets
- 1/2 cup / 125g Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup / 125g Full Fat Mayo
- 1 tsp Sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 Lemon
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 4 rashers Streaky Bacon, cooked, cooled & chopped
- 1/3 cup / 45g Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup / 20g Flaked Almonds (see notes for subs)
- 1/4 cup / 30g Feta, crumbled
- 1 tbsp Red Onion, very finely diced
- Combine the ingredients for your dressing in a bowl and taste test for seasoning.
- In a larger bowl, combine your broccoli and fillings, then pour in your desired amount of dressing. The broccoli will begin to soak up the dressing, so just adjust accordingly when this happens.
- Serve up with an extra squeeze of lemon juice (optional). An hour in the fridge will help develop flavours if you have time.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Broccoli Salad Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!