This Creamy Potato Salad is made with Baby Potatoes and loaded with Bacon, Chives and Hard Boiled Egg. Potato Salads don’t come more irresistible than this!
Baby Potato Salad
My go to potato to use in a potato salad is always the beautiful baby potato. I like to slice them up into 1/4″ rounds, just for something a little bit different. You could however just half, quarter or keep them whole. Just keep the skins on (extra flavour) and adjust the boiling times accordingly. You could also substitute any other waxy/starchy potato.
Boiled Potato Salad
In all cases you want to boil the potatoes until fork tender. My two top tips for boiling potatoes are:
- Salt – A heavy seasoning of salt in the water as they boil is essential. Whilst the dressing is nicely seasoned, this will merely be wrapping the potatoes. You want to season the potatoes themselves.
- Cold Water – To ensure the potatoes cook evenly, make sure you start with cold water and bring to a boil from there. If you pour boiling water straight in, the outsides are going to be overcooked before the centre is fork tender.
From there, you want to steam dry the spuds.
How to boil potatoes for a potato salad (quick summary)
- Slice them up into 1/4″ roundups.
- Pop them in cold water with a tsp of salt. Bring to boil for around 7-10mins or until fork tender.
- Drain in a colander and leave to completely steam dry.
Creamy Potato Salad
For me, a potato salad ain’t a potato salad if it’s not wrapped in a creamy dressing. For the dressing I use mostly mayonnaise, with a dollop of sour cream just to sooth it out. Here’s the other essentials for the perfect potato salad:
- Herbs – Here I use Parsley and Chives, both of which go perfectly with potatoes. I highly recommend using fresh herbs for a potato salad.
- Hard Boiled Egg – When Egg Mayo and Potato Salad collides, beautiful things happen.
- White Pepper – Gives a nice little bit of heat to the dressing.
- Bacon – Do I even need to explain this!?
How to make a Potato Salad (quick summary)
- Add all of your dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir until evenly combined. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- In a larger bowl, add your potato salad ingredients.
- Combine with dressing, then garnish with chives.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this creamy potato salad shall we?!
How to make Creamy Potato Salad with Bacon (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Potato Salad with Bacon
- Large Pot & Colander (for boiling spuds)
- Large Bowl (combining everything)
- Small Bowl (for dressing)
- Plastic Spatula or Spoon (for mixing)
- Baking Tray or Pan & Tongs (for bacon)
- Small Pot with Lid (for eggs)
- Wire Rack (for dicing eggs - optional)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 2lb / 1kg Baby Potatoes
- 1/2lb / 250g Bacon
- 3 Eggs,
- 1 cup / 240g Full Fat Mayo
- 1/4 cup / 60g Sour Cream
- 1 heaped tbsp Fresh Chives, finely diced (plus extra to garnish)
- 1 heaped tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Lemon, juice only
- 1/2 small Red Onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Sugar, or to taste
- 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper, or to taste
- Slice the potatoes into 1/4” rounds and place in a large pot of cold water with 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and cook for around 7-10mins or until fork tender. Don’t overcook them or they’ll turn to mush. Drain (don’t rinse) and leave to steam dry and completely cool to room temp (important!).
- As the potatoes boil, cook the bacon using your preferred method and to your preferred texture. Leave to completely cool then dice. Hardboil the eggs using your preferred method, then peel and dice (or use the wire rack method shown in the video)
- In a small bowl combine mayo, sour cream, dijon mustard, sugar, lemon juice, chives, parsley, white pepper and 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste).
- In a larger bowl add the potatoes with the egg, bacon, red onion and sauce. Gently fold until completely coated.
- I recommend popping it in the fridge in advance for the flavours to marry. Serve with an extra sprinkle of chives and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
- Add eggs to a pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to boil until the eggs start dancing, then immediately turn off the heat and pop the lid on.
- Leave for exactly 10mins, then transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water (to stop the cooking process).
- Once cool enough to handle, peel away the shell.
Your Private Notes:
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Baby Potato Recipes
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Lemon Browned Butter Baby Potatoes
- Mini Twice Baked Potatoes
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Summer Salad Recipes
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Chicken Waldorf Salad Bites
- Watermelon and Mozzarella Salad
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
If you loved this Potato Salad Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!