No roast dinner is complete without a Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese bake. This is the easiest, cheesiest & most darn right delicious side dish you’ll ever make!
The BEST Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese
Cauliflower cheese was a staple in my house growing up, especially as a side dish for roast dinners and especially around the festive season. If I’m honest, back then it was the only way I’d eat cauliflower, but on reflection is there realistically anything you wouldn’t eat if an entire block of cheddar was melted on top?
So, what makes this the best cauliflower cheese recipe?
Well firstly there’s broccoli, and we all love broccoli. Even if only when smothered in melted cheese. Secondly, and this is my absolute game-changing step, pre-roasting the broccoli and cauliflower. Yup, no boiling, no steaming, just good old fashioned roasting.
Why roast the broccoli and cauliflower?
- Flavour – Roasting the broccoli and cauliflower in garlic, olive oil and S+P gives so much flavour that boiling just can’t provide. Broccoli and cauliflower are the hero ingredients of this dish so to me it makes no sense to add them into the sauce unseasoned.
- Texture – When you boil or steam the broccoli and cauliflower it holds on to a lot of water (especially in the broccoli) and it’s released when you bake in the oven. And we all know cheese + water = a hot mess. When you roast them you also get a nice crispy crunchy texture which beats sloppy veg any day!
How to make broccoli and cauliflower cheese (quick summary)
- Roast broccoli, cauliflower and garlic in a baking dish.
- Meanwhile melt butter into a suitably sized pan.
- Stir in flour then gradually pour in milk.
- Add cheese, nutmeg and seasoning.
- Add in your roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
Baked Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese
If you don’t bake your broccoli and cauliflower cheese in the oven then you’re doing it allllll wrong. It not only marries and intensifies the flavours, but also gives you that jaw-dropping golden crust!
After you’ve thickened the sauce, pour into a suitably sized baking dish, top with cheese and roast away!
What cheese to use in Cauliflower Cheese?
I use a mix of Cheddar and Gruyere. Gruyere adds a gorgeous nutty flavour to the sauce, but if you don’t have it you can just sub more cheddar. Because too much cheddar is simply not a thing.
Why does my Cauliflower Cheese go watery?
As discussed above, this is down to boiling (or over-boiling) the cauliflower. The ends of the broccoli and cauliflower suck up moisture, and when baked, release it into your yummy cheese sauce. This is exactly why I roast my broccoli and cauliflower and urge you do too!
Make ahead Cauliflower Cheese
Broccoli and Cauliflower cheese is perfect for making in advance! Just prep up until roasting (without extra cheese on top) and cool, cover and store in the fridge. Take it out, sprinkle over the cheese and roast away!
Alrighty, by this point your house is going to smell insanely gorgeous. If you like the sound of this recipe I know you’ll love my parmesan roasted cauliflower and broccoli pasta bake! Also check out these essentials before we tuck in:
Roast Dinner Essentials
- Goose Fat Roast Potatoes
- Honey Balsamic Roasted Carrots
- Honey Bourbon Pigs in Blankets
- Yorkshire Puddings
- Spiced Cranberry Sauce
Alrighty, to the broccoli and cauliflower cheese recipe!!
How to make Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese
- Suitably Sized Baking Dish
- Cheese Grater
- Large Frying Pan & Wooden Spoon
- Jug (for milk)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 200g / 7oz Broccoli florets
- 200g / 7oz Cauliflower florets
- 500ml / 2 cups Milk, at room temp
- 1.5 cups / 150g Cheddar, grated (save 1/3 for topping)
- 1 cup / 100g Gruyere, grated
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- few pinches of Nutmeg
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Fresh Chives, to garnish
- Pop your broccoli, cauliflower and 1 tsp garlic in a roasting dish with a good pinch of salt & pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Roast in the oven at 200C/390F for 15-20mins or until lightly charred and fork tender.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter into a suitable sized pan over medium heat and stir in 2 tbsp flour to form a paste. Gradually pour in 2cups/500ml milk, continually whisking to avoid lumps forming.
- Stir in 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1cup/100g gruyere and 1cup/100g of your cheddar. Test for seasoning then add in your broccoli and cauliflower. Make sure the roux is thick before adding cheese, don't use cheese to thicken roux.
- Pop back into the baking dish, sprinkle over the rest of your cheddar (1/2cup/50g) and pop back in the oven at the same temp for 20mins or until golden and bubbly. Allow to rest for a few mins to reform shape and cool down, then sprinkle with finely chopped chives.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!