No roast dinner is complete without a Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese bake. This is the easiest, cheesiest & most darn right delicious side dish you’ll ever make!
You guys, I think my love for cheese just gets out of control this time of year. It was only the other day I uploaded my Spicy Bacon Mac and Cheese and now this… I’m just working on my winter bod okay 😅 but seriously who can resist cheese when it looks this good!?
Cauliflower cheese was a staple in my house growing up, especially as a side dish for roast dinners and especially around the festive season.
If I’m honest back then it was the only way I’d eat cauliflower, but on reflection is there realistically anything you wouldn’t eat if an entire block of cheddar was melted on top?
So, what makes this the best cauliflower cheese recipe?
Well firstly there’s broccoli, and we all love broccoli. Even if only when smothered in melted cheese.
Secondly, and this is my absolute game-changing step, pre-roasting the broccoli and cauliflower.
Yup, no boiling, no steaming, just good old fashioned roasting.
Why roast the broccoli and cauliflower?
- Flavour – Roasting the broccoli and cauliflower in garlic, olive oil and S+P gives so much flavour that boiling just can’t provide. Broccoli and cauliflower are the hero ingredients of this dish so to me it makes no sense to add them into the sauce unseasoned.
- Texture – When you boil or steam the broccoli and cauliflower it holds on to a lot of water (especially in the broccoli) and it’s released when you bake in the oven. And we all know cheese + water = a hot mess. When you roast them you also get a nice crispy crunchy texture which beats sloppy veg any day!
How to make broccoli and cauliflower cheese
- Roast the broccoli and cauliflower in a baking dish until lightly charred and fork tender.
- Meanwhile melt butter into a suitably sized pan.
- Stir in flour then gradually pour in milk.
- Add cheese, nutmeg and seasoning.
- Add in your roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
Add then it’s just a case of popping it back in the dish and pouring over enough cheese to last a lifetime.
Alrighty, by this point your house is going to smell insanely gorgeous.
Once it’s out the oven I like to firstly shed a tear because I love cheese so much, then let it sit for 5 mins (and consequently shed a few more tears). This will let it firm up a little and possibly save you burning your mouth into oblivion). Then grab some fresh chives and sprinkle those bad boys over.
My mouth is watering all over again.
Hey, whilst you’re here check out my other festive recipes!
- Goose Fat Roast Potatoes
- Honey Balsamic Roasted Carrots
- Sage and Cranberry Turkey Meatballs
- Honey Bourbon Pigs in Blankets
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
No roast dinner is complete without a Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese bake. This is the easiest, cheesiest & most darn right delicious side dish you'll ever make!
- 200g / 7oz Broccoli florets
- 200g / 7oz Cauliflower florets
- 500ml / 2 cups Milk, at room temp
- 1.5 cups / 150g Cheddar, grated (save 1/3 for topping)
- 1 cup / 100g Gruyere, grated
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- few pinches of Nutmeg
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Chives, to garnish
Pop your broccoli, cauliflower and garlic in a roasting dish with a good pinch of salt & pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Roast in the oven at 200c/390f for 15-20mins or until lightly charred and fork tender.
Meanwhile, melt your butter into a suitable sized pan and stir in your flour to form a paste. Gradually pour in your milk, continually whisking to avoid lumps forming.
Stir in your mustard gruyere and 2/3 of your cheddar. Test for seasoning then add in your broccoli and cauliflower.
Pop back into the roasting dish, sprinkle over the rest of your cheddar and pop back in the oven for 20mins or until golden and bubbly. Sprinkle with finely chopped chives.
Watch how to make it!
a) Calories - Based on using 1 tbsp olive oil and shared between 6 people.
For another gorgeous roasted broccoli recipe check out my Broccoli Pasta Bake!