This Broccoli Pasta Bake recipe will change the way you make pasta bake forever. Here I also show you how to prep and cook broccoli in the most delicious way imaginable! – Hungry now? Jump to Recipe
You guys, I can’t even begin to describe how delicious this pasta bake is. I know what you’re thinking, like how good can a pasta bake really get?? Well, according to the smell in my kitchen right now, pretty darn good.
Creamy cheesy goodness topped with a crunchy pasta bake topping, loaded with broccoli. Yep, broccoli. Just one more time, b-r-o-c-c-o-l-i.
Look I’ll be honest with you here, I’m not usually a massive fan of broccoli. I kinda made it my mission to fall in love with it because I knew I was missing out. Turns out I’ve been cooking it wrong all these years.
So classic vegetable pasta bakes that include broccoli just chuck the florets in the water to cook with the boiling pasta right?
When I tell you that roasting broccoli will change your entire outlook on life, I’m not exaggerating. No more having an explosion of water in your mouth from where the broccoli florets soaked it all up. Just some beautifully crisp and tender broccoli, seasoned with salt, pepper, onion and garlic. YUM.
How to roast Broccoli
- Cut the florets from the stem, cutting further into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine in a baking dish with red onion, garlic, salt and pepper and toss in olive oil.
- Roast at 200c/392f for 15mins or until fork tender and lightly charred.
Literally the only way I’ll ever eat broccoli again, especially in a pasta bake.
Let’s take a quick look at the other ingredients you’ll need shall we?
Pasta Bake Ingredients
- Vegetable Stock
- Wholegrain Mustard
Fantastic way to use up some cupboard staples.
Better still, a pasta bake sauce seriously couldn’t be easier to make.
How to make a creamy pasta bake sauce
- Melt butter in a suitably sized pan and stir in flour until a thick paste forms.
- Gradually pour in milk, stirring until lump free, then pour in vegetable stock.
- Add cheese, mustard, nutmeg and seasoning. Stir through pasta.
Tips for the best pasta bake
- Al dente – It’s crucial to only just cook your pasta. If you cook it to packet instruction, by the time you’ve finished baking it’s gonna be waaaaaay to soft.
- Topping – As far as I’m concerned, a pasta bake ain’t a pasta bake unless it’s got a crispy, crunchy top. A sprinkle of breadcrumbs, a few sprays of olive oil and some seasoning should do the trick.
- Bake – I know it sounds obvious, but make sure you give it a good 20mins in the oven. It’s way to tempting to chuck it under the grill or give it a quick bake, but the difference is huge. The way the cheese clings to the pasta and the topping goes golden is just too good to miss out on.
And if you’re anything like me, it doesn’t even make it to the plate. Grab a fork and tuck in! 😍
And there we have it folks, a gorgeous family dinner to feed four just ready and waiting! Remember, roast the broccoli, top the pasta bake with breadcrumbs and give it time in the oven. This broccoli pasta bake is about to be your new family fave, I’m confident 😉
How to make Broccoli Pasta Bake (Full Recipe & Video)
This Broccoli Pasta Bake recipe will change the way you make pasta bake forever. Here I also show you how to prep and cook broccoli in the most delicious way imaginable!
- 300g / 10.6oz Rigatoni (or short cut pasta of choice)
- 1 small head of Broccoli, sliced into bite sized florets
- 1 small Red Onion, peeled & sliced
- 1 clove of Garlic, peeled & finely sliced
- drizzle of Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups / 200g Gruyere Cheese (can sub cheddar)
- 1 cup / 250ml Milk, at room temp
- 1 cup / 250ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 heaped tsp Wholegrain Mustard
- pinch of Nutmeg
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 slice of Bread, pulsed into crumbs
- Olive Oil Spray
- Salt & Black Pepper
Place your broccoli, onion, garlic, a good drizzle of olive oil and salt & pepper in a suitably sized baking dish and roast for 15mins at 200c/392f or until fork tender and lightly charred.
Meanwhile, place your pasta in salted boiling water and cook until a dente.
At the same time, melt your butter in a suitably sized pan. Add your flour, then stir into a paste. Gradually add your milk, stirring throughout, then gradually and your vegetable stock.
Once thickened, add your gruyere, mustard, nutmeg and seasoning, then add your broccoli, onions and garlic. Drain pasta and combine.
Pour back into your baking dish, top with breadcrumbs, olive oil spray and seasoning and bake for 20mins at 200c/392f or until golden brown.
Watch how to make it!
a) Undercooked pasta - Like mentioned in the method, you want to boil the pasta until it's just al dente. Anymore and it'll turn sloppy when baking.
b) Calories - based on using 1 tbsp worth of olive oil to coat the broccoli/onions and 10 sprays on the breadcrumb topping.
If you loved this Broccoli Pasta Bake Recipe you’ll LOVE my Baked Gnocchi Mac ‘n’ Cheese!