When Chicken Fajitas meet double decker nachos, good things happen. These Chicken Fajita Nachos are the perfect crowd pleaser!
Chicken Fajita Nachos
If you’re anything like me, when you’re feeding a crowd, unless your guests are waddling out on all fours, you’ve completely failed as a host. I mean heaven forbid anybody walks out even the slightest bit hungry. Genuinely sends shivers down my spine 😂 These nachos are PERFECT for sending a room of people into a food coma, but here’s why else I think you’ll love them:
- Easy – Even the most beginner of cook can master these nachos!
- Flavoursome – Not just regular cheese and tortilla chips, these chicken nachos really pack a punch in the flavour department.
- Adjustable – Easy to adjust for smaller or bigger crowds.
Ok, gimme a nacho, I’m getting hungry all over again…
Homemade Fajita Chicken
For this recipe, I go with chicken breast and dice it up nice and small. I find larger chunks of chicken tend to overpower the nachos a little. In terms of seasoning, you can just grab store bought fajita seasoning, or make my Homemade Fajita Seasoning. Of course, I recommend the latter 😏
Apart from that, it’s just a case of using mixed peppers, onion, jalapeños (optional) and a nice squeeze of lime juice. Simples!
How to make Fajita Chicken for Nachos (quick summary)
- Dice chicken.
- Add seasoning.
- Stir to combine.
- Add to medium-high heat with oil.
- Fry until cooked through/lightly charred.
- Remove & add peppers/onion/jalapeño.
- Fry until soft, add seasoning.
- Mix in chicken and lime juice.
Double Decker Nachos
Because seriously, are nachos even nachos if they aren’t double decker?! I mean yes. All nachos are great. But double decker is better.
How do I prevent my nachos from going soggy?
- Chip – ensure you choose a sturdy chip. Nothing thin a flimsy. A nice strong tortilla chip to hold the weight.
- Moisture – when you fry the veg make sure you properly sweat it all down to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Speed – make sure you eat ’em fast! No messing around, straight out of the oven, straight into the face. The longer they sit the more chance they steam themselves into a soggy infinity.
How to make Chicken Fajita Nachos (quick summary)
- Spread tortilla chips.
- Top with fajita chicken.
- Top with cheese.
- More tortilla chips.
- More chicken.
- Finish with cheese and bake!
Chicken Fajita Nachos FAQ
Can I use beef?
You could sub the chicken and use ground beef with the exact same spice mix. It would just be less ‘fajita nachos’ and more ‘Mexican ground beef nachos’. I recommend 500g/1lb.
Can I use leftover rotisserie chicken?
Sure! Just shred the chicken with the spices and fry for a few mins in some oil, just to lock in the flavours.
How spicy are these nachos?
They do have a good kick of spice, but nothing overly dramatic. If you’re at all wary of spice, you can reduce the cayenne pepper in the spice mix and/or reduce/omit the jalapeños. You can then serve with more jalapeños on top if you want more spice!
Serving Chicken Fajita Nachos
When it comes to serving the nachos, I love to finish with some coriander/cilantro for a pop of flavour and colour. I also like to serve with some Guac, Salsa and Sour Cream. I recommend serving these in pots to one side, not on top of the nachos. Mainly because not everyone might like them, but mostly because you’re adding unwanted moisture to the nachos.
Easy Tex Mex Recipes
- Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Sweet Potato Quesadillas
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
Alrighty, let’s tuck into these fajita chicken nachos shall we?!
How to make Chicken Fajita Nachos (Full Recipe & Video)
Chicken Fajita Nachos
- 8" x 12" Baking Tray (or similar size)
- Large Frying Pan & Wooden Spoon
- Medium Size Mixing Bowl & Spatula
- Cheese Grater
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 7-9oz / 200-250g thick/sturdy Tortilla Chips, or as needed
- 3 cups / 300g Cheese, or as needed (see notes)
- 1lb / 500g Chicken Breast, diced into very small chunks (at room temp)
- 3 tbsp Fajita Seasoning (homemade or store-bought)
- 3 small Peppers, finely diced (1x Red 1x Green 1x Yellow)
- 1 medium Red Onion, finely diced
- 1/2 Lime, juice only
- 1/4 cup Pickled Jalapeños, finely diced (optional)
- Avocado Oil, as needed (or oil you have on hand)
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Place chicken into a mixing bowl. Remove 1 tsp from your fajita mix (this will be used for the veg) and pour the rest in with the chicken. Use a spatula to combine until completely coated, then place to one side.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan over medium-high heat, then add the chicken. Fry until white through the centre and nicely charred on the outside. Remove from pan.
- Heat up 1 tsp oil (or as needed) then add the peppers, onion and jalapeños if using. Fry until they begin to soften, then stir in 1 tsp fajita seasoning. Continue frying until completely soft and starting to char.
- Turn off heat.
- Add chicken back in and stir through the juice of half a lime. Place pan to one side.
- Stack half the tortilla chips, followed by half the chicken, followed by half the cheese. Repeat another layer, then pop in the oven for 15mins or until the cheese goes nice and gooey.
- Garnish with coriander/cilantro and serve with guac, salsa and sour cream!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Chicken Fajita Nachos recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!