These Chicken Avocado Burritos are incredibly easy to make. They’re great to customize, perfect to prep ahead and loaded with flavour!
Chicken and Avocado Burritos
Chicken and avocado is one of those glorious combos that works well in so many different contexts. Today’s concoction – the mighty burrito. Is this the kind of ‘burrito’ that would make purists cry? Absolutely 😂 But is this the kind of burrito that’ll bring you weak to the knees anyway because it’s so darn tasty? I’d like to think so 😛
Anywho, before we tuck into the who, what, when, why and how, if I haven’t convinced you yet here’s why you’re gonna LOVE these burritos:
- Easy – As far as burritos go, they really don’t come easier than this. Minimal cooking required!
- Versatile – Easy to add in some tasty extras!
- Convenient – Perfect to prep the whole thing ahead of time, or even prep some of the filling ahead of time. Great for a tasty lunch but also hearty enough for dinner.
Cilantro Lime Rice
Where there’s burrito there’s rice, and this chicken avocado version is no exception. An incredibly easy way to spruce up regular rice is to add cilantro/coriander and lime juice. Both of these not only go perfectly with rice, but they also go perfectly with chicken and avocado.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yup! This is one of the fillings you can prep ahead of time. Just allow to cool (if you’ve recently cooked the rice) then tightly cover in the fridge until needed. I recommend bringing it to room temp before adding in the burrito, just to ensure it heats through properly when you fry the burritos.
Process shots: add cooked rice to mixing bowl (photo 1), add coriander/cilantro and lime juice (photo 2), combine then test for seasoning/preference and adjust accordingly (photo 3).
When it comes to making the chicken, I like to keep it fairly simple. I use chicken breast, but you could totally use thighs. Seasoning-wise I coat in a simple mix of garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Nothing too OTT, but allows the chicken to hold it’s own in the burrito. From there I recommend frying over a fairy high heat, just to add a bit of char and inject some smoky flavour into the chicken.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the chicken ahead of time. Just allow to completely cool and cover in the fridge. Same as the rice, allow it to come back to room temp before filling the burrito.
Can I use leftover rotisserie chicken?
If you’ve already got leftover chicken you need to use up, you can absolutely use that in these burritos.
Process shots: butterfly chicken (photo 1), coat in seasoning and oil (photo 2), place in hot griddle pan (photo 3), fry both sides (photo 4).
Avocado Chicken Burritos
Alrighty, that’s all the hard work done! Alongside the chicken and rice, you’ll want to stuff in some ranch, avocado and cheese.
What Cheese to use?
I usually go for Monterey Jack, but Cheddar also works nicely. You could also use Mexican Cheese Blend!
What other fillings could I add?
- Jalapeños work great if you want a little spice.
- Some thinly sliced Red Onion goes nicely.
- Bacon is always welcome.
- If you want to bulk it out more you can add Black Beans.
A nifty trick as you wrap the burrito, is to sprinkle a little cheese just before you finish the roll – this will help glue the burrito shut as it cooks!
Can I prep these ahead of time?
Yep – you can roll the burritos and tightly cover in the fridge until ready to cook.
How to cook these burritos?
You can bake them, I’m just not a fan of piping hot avocado or ranch. As such, I just like to lightly toast on a smoking hot griddle pan until golden and hollow to tap.
Process shots: roll burrito and secure with cheese (photo 1), leave seam side down (photo 2), add to hot griddle pan (photo 3), slowly rotate until golden with grill marks (photo 4).
Serving Chicken Avocado Burritos
I like to wrap in aluminium foil if they’re too hot to handle. I also like to serve with a pot of extra ranch. Because, well, ranch.
What sides could I add?
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these chicken avocado burritos shall we?!
How to make Chicken Avocado Burritos (Full Recipe & Video)
Chicken Avocado Burritos
- Small Bowl (for rice)
- Griddle/Frying Pan & Tongs
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Cheese Grater
- Aluminium Foil (to serve)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2x 9oz/250g Chicken Breasts, brought close to room temp
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Cooked Rice (see notes)
- 2 tbsp finely diced Fresh Coriander/Cilantro, or to taste
- 1/2 Lime, juice only (or to taste)
- 4 Burrito Sized Tortilla Wraps, warmed in the microwave
- 1 1/2 cups / 150g Cheese, grated (see notes)
- 1/2 cup / 120ml Ranch, plus more to serve
- 2 medium Avocados, diced
- Rice: In a small bowl combine rice with coriander/cilantro and lime juice. Taste test for preference and adjust accordingly. Place to one side.
- Prep Chicken: Butterfly your 2 chicken breasts right through the centre to create 4 even sized breasts. Coat in garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Cook Chicken: Place in a griddle or frying pan over medium high heat and fry both sides until lightly charred, with the centre white all the way through. Place to one side and allow to rest, then dice into small cubes.
- Stack Burritos: In the bottom centre of a tortilla wrap add a few tbsp of rice, top with 1/4 of your chicken, followed by a couple tbsp of ranch. Top with avocado then sprinkle over cheese (save a pinch for next step).
- Fold Burritos: Pull the bottom of the wrap over the fillings then tightly fold in the sides. Tightly roll the burrito, making sure you keep the sides pulled in so no filling escapes. When you have around 1" left, sprinkle some cheese. This will help glue the seam shut when you cook the burrito.
- Cook Burritos: In a DRY griddle or frying pan over high heat (make sure it's scorching hot) add a burrito one at a time, seam side down. Slowly rotate with a pair of tongs until grill marks appear. The outside should be crispy and hollow to tap. Repeat with remaining burritos.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Chicken Avocado Burrito recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!