These Mini Burritos are made in an edible tortilla bowl – they’re perfect finger food, fun to make and bursting with flavour!
I was researching what to call these, and baby burritos was so fitting. Also, if you google ‘baby burritos’ you might just die of happiness. Thank me later. For now, mini burrito, baby burrito, tortilla cups any of those will do. You know what I’m talking about 🤣ANYWAY. Here’s why you’re gonna LOVE these beauties:
- Burrito Chicken – I’ll show you the ultimate spice combo for burrito chicken.
- Rice – Easy peasy lime cilantro/coriander rice gives these cups a gorgeous blast of flavour.
- Any Occasion – There’s literally no occasion that isn’t perfect for serving these up.
They’re also so fun to make! But even more fun to eat. So let’s tuck into all the tips and tricks real quick. Follow me…
For this recipe you’ll need boneless skinless breasts (can sub thigh if that’s what you have) and a really simple spice mix (all details in recipe card). You’ll want to butterfly each breast right through. This is to increase the surface area of spice on the chicken.
Make sure you fry the breasts over high heat, just so they pick up a bit of char (some char = extra flavour). From there, just rest and then cube into small chunks when needed.
How to make Burrito Chicken (quick summary)
- Butterfly breasts and add seasoning & oil.
- Fully coat.
- Fry over high heat.
- Flip and continue until cooked through.
Cilantro Lime Rice
I know coriander/cilantro is a controversial ingredient, but, it totally works here. You can use plain rice for this recipe, but it’s always nice to spruce it up a little.
For this recipe I use cooked long grain rice, but any rice you have on hand will work. Alongside this, you’ll just need fresh cilantro/coriander and fresh lime juice.
How to make Cilantro Lime Rice (quick summary)
- Cook rice in salted water.
- Add coriander/cilantro and lime juice.
- Stir then adjust to flavour preference.
Alrighty, here’s where things get fun. For the full burrito cups here’s what you’ll need:
- Refried Beans
The easiest way to make the mini tortilla cups is to get 1 burrito sized wrap and slice into 3 smaller ‘mini’ wraps. You can either do this with a large cookie cutter, or just slice around a small bowl (as I do below). You’re looking for them around 4.5″ in size.
Once you’ve cut them, just fold them into a greased muffin tin and stuff in your fillings.
From there, it’s just a case of loading the cheese on top and baking in the oven!
I recommend you completely cover the chicken, just so it doesn’t dry out in the oven. Here I use a Mexican cheese blend, but you can use any cheese you fancy!
What to serve with baby burritos?
You could also give them an extra squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of cilantro/coriander, but that’s all you need. I highly recommend the toppings, they really do compliment these babies so well.
Can I make these ahead of time?
Absolutely! Just make them, tightly cover and store in the fridge (2-3days) then bake as instructed.
Can these be frozen?
Yup. You can freeze before cooking, then thaw in the fridge and bake as instructed. Or you can freeze any leftovers, then thaw and bake (covered with foil) until piping hot again.
If you like the look of these tortilla cups check out my Breakfast Toast Cups!
For more easy and fun Tex Mex twists give these beauties a ganders too:
Fun Tex Mex Recipes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these baby burrito bowls shall we?! 😁
How to make Mini Burritos (Full Recipe & Video)
Mini Burrito Tortilla Cups
- 12 Hole Non Stick Muffin Tray
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Medium Mixing Bowl (for rice)
- Frying Pan (for chicken)
- 4.5"/12cm Cookie Cutter (or small bowl)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 Chicken Breasts, at room temp (approx 9oz/250g each)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 heaped tsp EACH: Smoked Paprika, Cumin
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Oregano, Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- pinch of Black Pepper
Coriander/Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1.5 cups Cooked Rice (1/2 cup uncooked - see notes)
- 2 tbsp finely diced Cilantro/Coriander, or to taste
- 1/2 Lime, juice only
- 4 Burrito Size Tortilla Wraps
- 1x 14oz/400g can of Refried Beans
- 2.5 cups / 250g Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend, or cheese of choice
- Mix 1.5cups cooked rice with 2 tbsp coriander/cilantro and the juice of half a lime (or to taste). Place to one side.
- Butterfly your chicken breasts right through to make 4 even sized breasts. Coat in 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika & cumin, 1/2 tsp onion powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper and a pinch of black pepper.
- Heat a pan over high heat and place in breasts. Fry for a few mins until they start the char (some char = authentic flavour) then flip, turn down heat to medium-high and continue frying until cooked through the centre. Remove from pan and rest until needed, then cube into small chunks.
- Use a 4.5"/12cm cookie cutter or cut around a similar sized pot, glass or bowl to create 3 mini tortilla circles from your 4 large tortillas (12 mini in total)
- In a grease proof muffin tray (or lightly grease yourself) fold each mini tortilla into a hole (see video for reference). Spoon in to each tortilla cup: 1 tbsp refried beans, 1 tbsp rice, cubed chicken then gently push down with the back of a spoon or your hand. Top with cheese (make sure all chicken is covered or it will dry out).
- Pop in the oven at 375F/190C for 15-20mins, or until they turn golden and crispy on top. Spoon out to remove from tray, then top with guac, salsa and sour cream.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Mini Burrito Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!