This truly is the BEST Pull Apart Bread recipe! Crack Bread stuffed with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Fresh Basil – Caprese never tasted so good!
When you think of ‘Caprese’ it usually brings imagery of a nice delicate and healthy plate of mozzarella, tomatoes and basil right? Well not on this blog. We’re stuffin’ it into bread. Follow me…
Aka pull apart bread truly is the perfect shared appetizer. Everybody diggin’ in, cheese pulls left right and centre. Love it.
It’s one of those recipes that’s been done so many times, so I thought I’d come up with a little twist. We’ll get to the Caprese side of things in two secs, but first let’s see just how easy it is to make pull apart bread.
How to make Pull Apart Bread
- Combine mozzarella with any other solid fillings (here we have sun dried tomatoes).
- Combine melted butter with seasoning.
- Place both to one side and grab a loaf of bread (see recipe for notes on this)
- Slice down to the bottom of the bread (not all the way through) in slices to make diamond shapes.
- Pour butter into cracks, then stuff with cheese filling.
- Wrap in foil, bake, then unwrap and bake again.
Caprese Garlic Bread
There truly aren’t many better combos than tomato, basil and mozzarella. Turns out when you stuff it into bread, it gets even better.
Can I sub fresh tomatoes?
Unfortunately fresh tomatoes are not suitable for this recipe. They are too watery and will make the bread too soft as it bakes, meaning it’ll fall apart when you pull it.
Can I sub dry basil?
Fresh basil is far better suited for this recipe. Dry herbs are great for longer cooking times, so they have the opportunity to infuse what they’re paired with. They’re not suited for a recipe as it’s fairly dry too.
What kind of bread to use?
You want a 14oz/400g loaf, preferably quite crusty and dense like a Sourdough.
What to serve with pull apart bread
To complete the Caprese theme, I serve this with a little dish of 1 part good quality extra virgin olive oil and 1 part balsamic vinegar.
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Shared Appetizer Recipes
Okay, let’s tuck into this pull apart bread recipe shall we!?
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Caprese Pull Apart Bread (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheesy Pull Apart Bread (Caprese Style)
- 1x 14oz/400g loaf of Bread (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups / 150g Mozzarella, shredded
- 1 1/4 cups / 125g Sun Dried Tomatoes, very finely diced
- 3.5oz / 100g Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp Fresh Basil, very finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp each: Salt and Black Pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 356f/180c.
- In a bowl, combine your mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes. Place to one side.
- In a smaller bowl, combine your butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place to one side.
- Carve slices into your bread to create diamond shapes approx 1" in size, making sure you go right to the bottom, but not all the way through. (see video for guidance).
- Use a spoon to drizzle the basil butter in and around each section. Repeat with the mozzarella mix. You want to make sure you try and evenly spread the mixtures through each crack and crevice, from top to bottom. Tedious, but worth it.
- Wrap in foil and bake for 15mins, or until the cheese starts to melt. The unwrap and bake for another 10mins or until the bread goes nice and crispy. Serve with a pot of 1 part quality extra virgin olive oil and 1 part balsamic vinegar.
Quick 1 min demo!
Looking for another crowd pleaser? Check out my Roasted Garlic Bread!