These Subs are made with an Easy Marinara Sauce and Juicy Homemade Meatballs that are stuffed with mozzarella cheese!
My go-to order at Subway is the Meatball Marinara, without fail. This recipe simply came about because I was spending so much at Subway and thought it could surely be replicated. Well my friends, it certainly can. Follow me…
I’ve written a more in depth post called how to get soft and juicy meatballs, so do check that out if you fancy. But throughout this post I’ll give you the basic run down, so not to worry.
Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
For this recipe I’ve decided to take things to the cheese extreme and stuff the meatballs with cheese. Because, why the heck not? Just make the meatball mixture as you usually would, grab a cherry mozzarella ball and roll it in the centre. Then cook as you usually would and reap the reward of each meatball having an oozy cheesy centre!
Easy Marinara Sauce
This is a fairly easy recipe all round, but just as the meatballs, it’s too easy not to make your own marinara sauce. Also just like meatballs, the difference between store bought and homemade marinara sauce is crazy!
How to make cheese stuffed meatballs in sauce
- Create your meatball mixture, split into 20 even pieces and place a mozzarella ball in each one.
- Roll into a ball, ensuring the mozzarella is completely covered. Cook under the grill.
- Meanwhile fry off onion and garlic.
- Pour in tomato passata (puree) and add seasoning.
- Add in meatballs and simmer until thickened.
Homemade Meatball Subs
When it comes to the subs themselves, I prefer to do single portions, rather than one big giant one and cut it into pieces.
You’re looking to get 5 approximately 6″ sized baguettes, preferably white bread and not too crusty. The firmer the bread you start off with, the more likely it’s going to come out hard and chewy on the other side. If you can get your hands on a nice soft baguette then that’s perfect.
From this you’ll get 4 meatballs per sub.
How to make Meatball Subs
- Slice your baguette open (not all the way through), drizzle with olive oil and lightly toast under the grill.
- Spread a few tbsp of sauce on one side.
- Add 4 meatballs.
- Top with cheese and grill until gooey.
It really is that easy!
What cheese to use on top?
These subs actually have 3 cheeses in them. One in the meat itself (parmesan), one in the centre (mozzarella) and one on top. For the third one I usually go for a nice sharp cheddar.
Do I have to toast the bun?
Nope! Just like in subway it’s completely optional. BUT grilled cheese > slightly melted cheese (IMO). Up to you though 🙂
Can I just use half a baguette?
You sure can! I just love extra carbs so creating a sandwich is more my jam. But you can just use one slice and have an open-style sub kinda thing.
Right, think that’s everything. Let’s tuck into the recipe shall we?
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make a Meatball Sub (Full Recipe & Video)
Homemade Meatball Subs (with cheese stuffed meatballs!)
Ingredients (check list):
- 20 Cherry Mozzarella Balls (see notes)
- 9oz / 250g Ground Beef (15%+ fat)
- 9oz / 250g Ground Pork (15%+ fat)
- 2 thin slices White Bread, decrusted & cubed
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Milk
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley, finely diced
- 1/2 cup / 35g Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 medium Onion, grated
- 2 cloves of Garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 24oz / 700g jar of Passata (see notes)
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of Garlic, finely diced
- 1 tsp each: Dried Basil, Dried Oregano, Sugar, Chilli flakes (or less for milder sauce)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, as needed
- 5 ~6" Baguettes, sliced open & lightly toasted (see notes)
- 1 cup / 100g Cheddar, grated (or as needed)
- handful of small Basil Leaves
- Soak bread in milk, onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce & mush with fork. Stir in parsley, parmesan, oregano, egg & seasoning. Gently work in your pork & beef (don’t over mix or they will end up tough), then form 20 meatballs with mozzarella in the centre. Lightly spray with oil then pop under the grill for 6-10mins or until golden on the outside. Flip once half way and shake about to evenly cook.
- Fry onion/garlic until soft then pour in Passata. Stir in seasoning and leave to simmer for 10-15mins. Add meatballs (with some pan juices) and simmer for another 5-10mins, or until the sauce thickens.
- Spread a couple tbsp of sauce on one side of your baguette, top with 4 meatballs each, then cheese & finish with a few small basil leaves. Grill/Broil for a few mins until gooey.
Quick 1 min demo!
Looking for more meatball recipes? Check out my Meatball Pasta Bake!