Watermelon and Mozzarella Salad is THE perfect summer salad. With the addition of some mouthwatering watermelon balls, this salad offers a gorgeous twist on the classic caprese salad. – Hungry now? Jump to Recipe
Well, let’s just say after uploading my watermelon and feta salad recipe, I reignited my watermelon addiction. More specifically, my watermelon and cheese addiction. ‘Cause let’s be real, is there a more delicious combo!? Nope, not when it looks this darn good 😋
This salad is a neat little play on the classic caprese salad. Just like my stacked tomato salad, it takes the classic mozzarella, tomato and basil combo and turns it on it’s head.
In this case, I’ve traded out the tomato for watermelon and added some pine nuts for a nice little crunch!
The creaminess of the mozzarella, with the sweetness of the watermelon and pine nuts, wrapped in silky extra virgin olive oil and a punch of lemon juice. UGH. I could eat this all over again.
But first, let’s talk balls.
Finding out what a melon baller was and learning how to use it genuinely changed my life for the better.
Now, anything that can be ‘balled’ will be. No questions asked.
It’s funny though, embarrassingly when I first bought one I had no clue how to use the thing 🤣
How to make Watermelon Balls
Now I know 99% of you are like ‘dang Chris, are you serious!?’ but for the other 1%, don’t make the mistake I did. This is not a mini ice-cream scoop, that is not how it works. Trying to scrape along the watermelon will make a mess. Instead, grab your melon baller and push into the flesh. Once you fill the baller, twist and scoop out the flesh.
Voila, perfect watermelon balls!
Watermelon and Mozzarella Salad Ingredients
- 1/4 whole Watermelon
- 10 oz/300g Cherry Mozzarella Balls
- 1 tbsp Pine Nuts
- Handful of Fresh Basil
- Squeeze of Lemon Juice
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
And that’s it! Minimal ingredients but everything plays it’s part beautifully.
Watermelon and mozzarella salad is the perfect summer salad! Deliciously simple and easy on the eye, this fun way to use up watermelon is sure to brighten up your next brunch!
Now somebody get me a darn fork, I’m starving!
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
Watermelon and Mozzarella Salad (Full Recipe & Video)
Watermelon and Mozzarella Salad is THE perfect summer salad. With the addition of some mouthwatering watermelon balls, this salad offers a gorgeous twist on the classic caprese salad.
- 1/4 Whole Watermelon
- 7oz / 200g Cherry Mozzarella Balls
- 1 tbsp Pine Nuts, toasted if desired
- 1 handful Fresh Basil, roughly chopped
- squeeze of Lemon Juice
- drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Carve out balls using a melon baller, discarding seeds as necessary.
Place in a bowl with your mozzarella, pine nuts, basil, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and salt & pepper. Test for seasoning.
Cover and pop in the fridge or eat straight away!
Watch how to make it!
a) No Melon Baller? - Luckily this salad isn't just a pretty face, the flavours are going to taste great regardless of whether you ball the watermelon or not. Chopping into small chunks will sub fine.
b) No Cherry Mozzarella? - You can sub Bocconcini or mozzarella pearls. Failing that just tear small chunks of mozzarella.
c) Calories - Based on 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
After another unique Watermelon Salad recipe? Check out my Grilled Watermelon Salad!