This Grilled Watermelon Salad is absolutely bursting with flavour. Topped with Arugula, Pistachios, Blue Cheese and a Balsamic Glaze, after trying this recipe you won’t grill watermelon any other way!
Is there anything that screams ‘summer’ more than a grilled watermelon? Those gorgeous grill marks on a mouthwatering slice of watermelon is almost too much to bare sometimes. Add a dollop of the most incredible arugula salad and you’re on to something quite special.
Watermelon itself is not only the most delicious fruit in existence, but it’s also incredible versatile.
It’s only recently that I’ve been experimenting with watermelon in a savoury context and to be honest, I think I prefer it that way.
Don’t get me wrong, watermelon in a fruit salad or even just by itself is heaven. But when you balance out that sweetness will a little salt, spice, sour or a combination of all, things get a little more heavenly.
This recipe celebrates the perfect balance of flavours and that’s all down to our dear friend ‘arugula salad’. Or ‘rocket’ as some of us know, whatever tickles your pickle.
Here’s exactly how I like mine:
You’ve got the gorgeous peppery arugula/rocket as the base with a punch of flavour from the blue cheese. A nice crunch from the pistachios (and I don’t know about you but pistachios are my favourite nut everrrrrr) all wrapped in a silky olive oil/lemon juice dressing.
This combo will have you weak at the knees, promise. So simple and delish!
Okay so you’ve got the salad, and if you manage to not eat it all before hand, we need to top it on some grilled watermelon.
Grilled watermelon is pretty easy to make, but there a couple of tips and tricks to consider.
How to Grill Watermelon
To find out if a watermelon is fresh, I usually tap the underbelly. If it’s ripe, it’ll have a hollow sound. Once you’ve found yourself the most glorious watermelon in the grocery store:
- Slice a disk of watermelon around 3/4 – 1″ thick.
- Use a cookie cutter/glass and push out 2 small disks.
- Soak up some of the moisture with a paper towel, then lightly coat with olive oil.
- Grill on high for a few minutes each side until dark grill marks appear.
- Lightly salt before serving.
The key is to make sure the watermelon isn’t swamped in moisture throughout the process. Soaking up juice with a paper towel before you grill the watermelon will help, as will salting the watermelon after it’s grilled. Salting beforehand will draw out moisture and prevent those gorgeous grill marks from forming.
And boy are those grill marks gorgeous!
So you’ve got your grilled watermelon, you’ve got your salad, just one more final piece of the puzzle.
This freaking stuff, not only completes this dish, but my life in general. That fuzzy sweet taste drizzled over grilled watermelon. 😱
This grilled watermelon recipe is perfect for a summer brunch or even a starter/appetizer! Quick and easy to make, minimal ingredients and SO darn delicious. You’d be crazy not to give this dish a go!
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make a Grilled Watermelon Salad (Full Recipe & Video)
The Ultimate Grilled Watermelon Salad
Ingredients (check list):
- 1 disk Watermelon, approx 3/4 - 1" thick
- 1 handful Arugula/Rocket
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Pistachios, lightly crushed
- 1/4 cup Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp Balsamic Glaze
- drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for frying
- squeeze of Lemon Juice
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine your arugula/rocket, blue cheese, pistachios, lemon juice, olive oil and seasoning. Place to one side.
- Using a cup/glass/cookie cutter, shape out 2 circles in the flesh of the watermelon. Pat with a with a paper towel to soak up extra moisture, then lightly brush both sides with oil.
- Grill over high heat for a few minutes each side, or until black grill marks appear.
- Sprinkle a little salt on top, then add your arugula salad and finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Quick 1 min demo!
For another gorgeous watermelon salad recipe, check out my Watermelon and Feta Salad!