Carving your own watermelon basket couldn’t be easier. In just a few simple steps I’ll show you how to make a watermelon basket in the most delicious way possible!
Because really, has summer actually began if you’re not diving your face into a watermelon basket fruit salad? I know, I’m just THAT extra these days 😂 But hey, looks pretty neat right!?
So when the heck are you going to make a watermelon basket?
The watermelon basket is perfect for any sort of get to together. Sure, a big bowl of fruit salad looks great, but stick it in a watermelon basket and people flock to it. I’m talking BBQs, I’m talking dinner parties and realistically I’m talking any sort of event where there’s also a chocolate fountain. Can you imagine!? 😭
And truly it’s really not that difficult to make a watermelon basket.
Here, lemme show you…
How to make a Watermelon Basket
Tools you’ll need:
- Sharp knife
- Melon baller
- 2 Elastic bands
- Non-toxic pen (optional)
6 easy steps to carving a Watermelon Basket:
- Grab your watermelon, 2 elastic bands and a sharp knife. Wrap one elastic band horizontally through the centre and the other vertically through the centre.
- Gently carve an outline approx 1/2″ either side of the top elastic band. This will shape the handle. Gently carve an outline straight along the other elastic band. You can also use a non-toxic pen to do this.
- Once happy with the guidelines, slice through and remove the chunk.
- Repeat with the other side, leaving the handle with flesh intact.
- Carefully cut through the flesh left underneath the handle. Level out the surface so it’s even if you need to.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out all of the flesh and combine with your favourite fruit!
Once you’ve combined your fruit with the watermelon, just chuck it back in the empty watermelon basket and garnish to the high heavens.
Best homemade fruit salad
A fruit salad is one of those recipes that has no real rules or boundaries. For me? I keep it fairly simple, garnish it well and tend to prefer fruit salads without juice. My tips for the best fruit salad are to keep the colours vibrant and steer away from your average everyday fruit.
Here’s what I used:
- Passion Fruit
And just FYI, it actually holds it’s weight as an actual basket, I’ve tested 😂
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make a Watermelon Basket (Full Recipe & Video)
Carving your own watermelon basket couldn't be easier. In just a few simple steps I'll show you how to make a watermelon basket in the most delicious way possible!
- 1 Perfectly ripe Watermelon
- 1/2 Pineapple, peeled, cored & sliced
- 2 cups Strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 Passion fruit
- 1 Fig
- few sprigs of Fresh Mint
- 1 Melon Baller
- 2 Elastic bands
- Sharp Knife
Prep all your fruit ready to go in the fruit salad. Place in the fridge to chill.
Grab your Watermelon and wrap two elastic bands around it, one horizontal and one vertical, both crossing directly in the centre.
Carefully slice approx 1/2" either side of the top elastic band to form the handle. Slice along the middle elastic band and remove both of the chunks.
Slice away the flesh from underneath the handle, then use a melon baller to remove the flesh from the watermelon.
Combine in a bowl with your prepped fruit, pour back into the watermelon and garnish with fresh mint!
Watch how to make it!
a) Leftover Watermelon - You won't need to use the two chunks you remove when making the handle, so pop in the fridge ready for your next watermelon craving.
b) Watermelon Juice - There will be a lot of juice leftover in the watermelon, up to you if you want to combine that (and maybe with other juices) with the fruit. With the same token this process can get quite messy, so make sure you cover your worktop accordingly!
For another creative watermelon recipe, check out my Watermelon and Feta Salad!